Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM

396 posts, read 925,740 times

Advertisements

Or as I pronounce it: "Tuck-sin"

Anyways, UA is showing me some love in regards to the financial package they offered me (MBA program, waived out of state tuition, gave me graduate assistantship, some cash, and is paying for my international trip!!)

I was targeting schools in Cali but UA is the total package in terms of campus environment (D1 Football, tanned coeds, and a lovable mascot that you just want to hug).

Bad thing is, as I have been looking more into Tuck-sin, I saw that it has some of the highest rates of property crimes in the country for a town its size. I'm a pretty down to earth guy that would give you the shirt off my back, but I have been known to own expensive things (luxury car, expensive in home electronics that I don't use, nice clothes, and athletic equipment).

Since I am going to UA, could someone suggest a good neighborhood that is gated and keeps the scum of society out (I'm kidding btw)? Seriously, just a neighborhood that is known for being really safe so I can protect my assets. Yes, crime happens no matter where you live but it is less concentrated in certain areas. I've researched such neighborhoods as Sam Hughes (Howard Hughe's illegitimate son?) but I would like know any others. Money really isn't a concern (unless we are talking about $1500 apartments... this aint the beach).

I was doing random searches on the interwebs and found alot of apartment complexes that looked like resorts (pool, palm trees, yes please) but I am not too familiar with the areas. The campus is pretty safe but I didn't spend too much time around the campus when I did a brief visit last year. Just because there is a big time college, doesn't mean that the area around it is safe (my brother went to Illinois at Chicago and when he was there, there were projects literally a couple of blocks down, the area near my undergrad wasn't too good either initially.. until the yuppies came in and raised property values causing the ghetto to disperse).

Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,007 times
You sound you would be happier in California or, at the least, Phoenix.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 AM

461 posts, read 861,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
You sound you would be happier in California or, at the least, Phoenix.
coatimundi, the OP is restricted by his MBA program (assuming it is a he since it is odannyBOI and he commented on tan coeds...ha!)

I am in somewhat of a similar position, but am not as "california" as the OP. I do not own a lot of nice things, am a poor student/resident, looking to live in a nice place, but don't need it to be lavish. I would like some culture in my living conditions...a nice adobe home, a nice neighborhood like Sam Hughes, close to 4th ave?

So I can relate to the OPs question. His current situation with school/career brings him to Tucson just as my situation also brings me Tucson. He is doing his MBA and is only limited to, I am guessing, 2 years. I think 2 years is doable anywhere!! Three years in my case is a little more questionable, but still doable. (P.S. doable also has a lot of variables...how outgoing one is...how they make friends, etc...but I digress)

I, like the OP, have found many apartment complexes with "pools and palm trees"...but they seem to be bland, suburbian, and lack culture....I know this comes with "apartments"...lol

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I, like the OP, have found many apartment complexes with "pools and palm trees"...but they seem to be bland, suburbian, and lack culture....I know this comes with "apartments"...lol
Can't help my curiosity this time... What kind of "culture" can be found in apartments in other cities?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Can't help my curiosity this time... What kind of "culture" can be found in apartments in other cities?
No I mean you can't really find any "cool/hip" apts in any city. That was my point. Most apt complexes are just that, complexes. In my opinion (and my reference to "culture") is ideally living in a funky/interesting house in a funky/interesting neighborhood. Talk to/hang out with friendly neighbors, etc.

In Cleveland I live in a big complex of apts and I rarely even see my neighbors. I don't know any of them and the "complex" is not really "walkable."

Didn't mean any offense sierraAZ! Thanks for all your help!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 PM

There are a few "hip" apartment complexes in Tucson. One North Fifth is one. Lofts at the Academy and Ice House Lofts, but they're mostly owner-occupied. There's also what my SO used to refer to as the "Lost Boys Village" Downtown. I don't remember its real name or location though.

And doesn't "65% sure" leave 35% open for somewhere else?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Well, Tuck-sin is known for being kinda bland due to water conservation and adobe homes... but I think its kinda cool to have a cactus in your yard as a plant. Sam Hughes is one of the more greener neighborhoods.

I actually read in another thread that apartment complexes are not too good in Tuck-sin due to crime and such. I was thinking about living on campus, but UA is a big time party school and the program is very rigorous so I need to block distractions... for the 1st year atleast, then it settles down.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post

And doesn't "65% sure" leave 35% open for somewhere else?
Yes, but 65% is high considering I was accepted to 4 programs each in different cities.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
Well, Tuck-sin is known for being kinda bland due to water conservation and adobe homes... but I think its kinda cool to have a cactus in your yard as a plant. Sam Hughes is one of the more greener neighborhoods.
I really don't think you're going to like it in Tucson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
I actually read in another thread that apartment complexes are not too good in Tuck-sin due to crime and such. I was thinking about living on campus, but UA is a big time party school and the program is very rigorous so I need to block distractions... for the 1st year atleast, then it settles down.
I think I may have written that about apartment complexes, but that is general knowledge, at least from what I've seen. There are some really bad ones around town, and it seems students get stuck at them a lot of times because they're cheap and they advertise. You'd think the cheap ones near the university would just be crappy instead of full of tweakers and deginerates, but that's not the case.

There is graduate student housing at La Aldea and I believe somewhere else. It's not nearly as "party" as some of the other student housing, like the infamous "Scoronado".
If you can afford a rental in Sam Hughes, I say go for it. They're very difficult to obtain as there aren't many of them, and will often only rent to grad students, if students at all. There are a couple of complexes down there also that are decent, but they're also very expensive.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM

I really don't think you're going to like it in Tucson.

Maybe the dessert will grow on him coatimundi. ?
I think Tucson is a little bland also as far as vegetation...but it is the dessert!
But everyone seems to state that it gets better the longer you live there.
And as I mentioned, I think the OP is only here for 2 years. It can't be so intolerable can it?

There is graduate student housing at La Aldea and I believe somewhere else. It's not nearly as "party" as some of the other student housing, like the infamous "Scoronado".

I looked up La Aldea and it is on campus grad student housing. Doesn't seem to be up my alley (or odannyboi's alley either)

If you can afford a rental in Sam Hughes, I say go for it. They're very difficult to obtain as there aren't many of them, and will often only rent to grad students, if students at all. There are a couple of complexes down there also that are decent, but they're also very expensive.

Do you know what the complexes in Sam Hughes are? I only got a superficial view of Sam Hughes. My friend and I were playing sports at Himmel Park and walk along side a Sam Hughes Neighborhood. I am guessing that is where I will find my balance of a NICE/WELL MAINTAINED house with some cool neighbors and walkability.
If anyone sees any "FOR RENT" signs at a cool house, please let us know.

Any other "cool/vibrant/artsy/hippie" neighborhoods with decent housing opportunities? I don't mind spending some extra money on housing...I would like to live somewhere nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson