Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Yep, he's nuts.
That was a given as far as I am concerned.
Send him up to me and we won't have to worry about his problems anymore!
I really can't see spending more good money keeping this clown in jail when everyone knows he is guilty.
Then again I have been for curbside justice for a long time.
The present issue is not guilt or innocence, but competency to stand trial. Two different legal concepts.

Quote:
The problem with this approach to me is how many can the taxpayers afford to lock up for life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The problem is that there is no law in Arizona which would have prohibited him or a hundred others just like him from purchasing all of the weapons they need to present a danger to others
There are not that many that are NEVER found competent to stand trial. If he is given medication, chances are he will be found competent under medication.

Again, the present issue is not the crime itself, or an insanity defense thereto, but competency to stand trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times
AZ nor any other states set the standards for buying a gun legally. The feds do that.
And, if he had ever been locked up for mental instability is should show when they do the back round checks on the feds systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The problem is that there is no law in Arizona which would have prohibited him or a hundred others just like him from purchasing all of the weapons they need to present a danger to others

Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM

What could have happened if he had been locked up before is sort of water under the bridge. And, if someone really wants to have a gun, he will find one.

But, that's not the topic of this thread.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 PM

And some here need to note that he bought the firearm legally, without violating any laws, some months before he did this.
He had not history of mental illness which would have precluded him from doing this and therefore under the laws was permitted to purchased any gun he wanted to.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 PM

Exactly. That's why I said that what might have happened if he had a documented history of mental illness before the gun purchase was water under the bridge. It didn't happen that way, and he's been found incompetent, for now, to stand trial. Let's leave the gun issue out of the picture, as it's off topic.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM

Merely trying to point out that it was a legal purchase and trying to correct some people's understanding of the purchase process.
And, if states had a right to change the purchase requirements the feds would surely file on us unconstitutional.
I think if states had the right to set purchase requirements on guns the courts would be tied up for years.

Last edited by keninaz; 05-31-2011 at 07:26 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM

162 posts, read 430,680 times
I agree with Keninaz, and the problem with the "being locked away for life" idea is not only that it costs tax payers, but that eventually they will get out. Think about it! they have a lifetime to find a glitch in the system to get out. What are the chances it will happen? chances are very good. I don't know of anyone capable of devoting every second of their life to making sure this kind of person never ever gets out again, but he has all the time left in his life to devote to that sole purpose.
People nowadays don't think in the long run anymore. Who is to say that within the next 10,20,40 years there won't be some riot, civil war or government change or even natural disaster that would allow this person to squeeze out and dissapear? what will people say if that happens? "OOPS"? yeah, that's what people say. Child molester gets out early and kills another innocent victim..."oops". He was competent enough to aim and squeeze the trigger, he's competent enough to stand trial.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 PM

And I think this kid is smarter than he makes out to be.
He is just "playing"t he system.
Is he normal? No.
Does he understand what's going on? I think so.
He is just making a mockery of our system like many do.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:41 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Does he understand what's going on? I think so.
He is just making a mockery of our system like many do.
But what's most important is that he killed a bunch of people. Which makes him crazy or nuts or mentally ill or whatever word(s) you want to use that mean he should be kept away from everyone.

It doesn't matter what he was before or what he becomes after the crime. His actions show he is not capable of living in society. Anyone who does what he did has a brain that is not reasoning properly so cannot exist among other non-violent people.

They need to stop spending money on law suits, lawyers, court time, etc. and lock him up for good. He is becoming a money machine that will cost tax payers more than if he was just locked up and kept calm for the rest of his life.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The present issue is not guilt or innocence, but competency to stand trial. Two different legal concepts.
Yes and they are a big waste of money in this situation. He killed people, his mind is gone. The money spent on the *legal* issues so far are probably enough to keep him locked up and calm for the rest of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: