Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 AM

42 posts, read 131,233 times

Advertisements

Varula is right. Perseverance pays. As an example, I'm a recent federal retiree with 30 years of experience in my field and it took *months* to land a job in the Tucson area. Here in the DC area, I could have had my pick of jobs within two weeks of putting out a resume. My wife and I love Tucson, however, and want to live there so badly that I was willing to fish and wait for the right job. It eventually came. Along the way, I experienced the frustration of being ignored, sensed age discrimination (I'm over 50), and had the doors shut because I wasn't local. Also, employers sometimes already know who they want to put in a position before they even advertise the job, making the application process a complete waste of time. And some employers don't even bother to read the responses sent to them online. Call me old-fashioned, but I think the best way to land a job is eyeball-to-eyeball. The process of applying for a job online is too impersonal, and you end up being lumped with hundreds or thousands of other applicants and it's too difficult to get noticed. Since you're already at Tucson, I'd suggest finding companies you'd like to work for and then walk in the door and talk to someone. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM

44 posts, read 90,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-to-AZ View Post
Also, employers sometimes already know who they want to put in a position before they even advertise the job, making the application process a complete waste of time.
I am finding this to be particularly true at the local colleges and universities. I've literally been applying to them for two years, am perfectly qualified for the positions I've applied for, having done the job at a college back east for 15 years, and all I get are rejections. It can be very hard to break that barrier. I've even taken courses at one of the colleges, added my professor to my reference list, and still nothing. So I am broadening my search, considering more education and crossing my fingers.

I am thankful the temp agency placed me and the employer hired me. It's not the best place to work, but I'm happy to be working.

Again, good luck!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 PM

190 posts, read 618,359 times
Helena is working harder and harder everyday. I know it is tough and wish I could make it easier. I know she will find something it is just a matter of time. Thanks for the suggestions hopefully more will come and she will find something soon..

Old 09-25-2011, 11:35 AM

532 posts, read 1,177,205 times
There's a call center at IBM that is hiring like mad. Start as a CSR and if you're competent they'll promote pretty quickly into management. Anybody interested in more details, PM me.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:09 PM

I just replied to you Mike and Helena, hope it helps! Anyone else, please don't be afraid to ask. I just request that nobody forward their PM from me to others. I would like to keep track of that because I include my full name in the PM. Thanks

Also for Helena or others: try Afni and C3. Both call centers are hiring as well, however we have a lot of those people come from those centers TO IBM's CC. IBM's CC does include benefits after 6 months and ample promotions and bonuses.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 AM

138 posts, read 269,777 times
you guys are awesome. I have had interviews with 3 temp agent. (that is how I also got my last job). On Mondays I spend 7 hours putting in resumes through Indeed.com, jobungo, snagajob,careerbuilder,Tucson help wanted and more. Then the rest of the week it slows down. It is very hard here. I did go to 2 call center interviews but training will not start soon. I have taken alot of proveit tests and proved to them that I am qualified for the position. I do have a interview at a company on Monday. It is a large promotion from my regular receptionist experience and I am very excited. They looked at my Resume and picked me out of many many other resumes so I feel assured that I can very much do the job. So excited. I want to thank everyone for their input, what a great forum this is. Okay I may not get the job but damn this is a start, lol. I am going to give it 110% and pray to the lord.
I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks Helena

Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 AM

191 posts, read 789,391 times
Good luck with your job interview helena, hope you get it.

Anyways, Tucson was never a job magnet even during good times, unfortunately. Tucson is quite cheap to live but it has a reputation of low paying wages. Unless you have a skill that is highly specialized related to defense contracting ( did that ... but laid off, as always ), you're pretty much stuck with the restaurant and call center positions.

Also, you have a better chance of getting a job at the UofA if you 'know' someone from the inside. Even the UofA jobs aren't that high paying unless you are in the medical field. Another sad fact about Tucson, companies enjoy the luxury of moving or relocating out as fast as they relocate in . I've worked at the UA tech park as a high paying contractor ( hint: good pay until you're kicked out ), where some of the call centers are located ... I've lost count on how many call centers have switched over the last few years.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM

44 posts, read 90,020 times
Pulling for you Helena! You will do great on your interview! I just know it

;-)

Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 AM

The CC I work for starts a new training class every week, so I'm confused. Did they call you yet?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM

136 posts, read 261,612 times
Do you have any customer service experience? My wife has been out of the workforce for nearly 5 yrs and had Career Builders do a resume for her. She put it online early last week and had 2 interviews today. The 1st place set up a 2nd interview for Wednesday and the 2nd offered her a job. She was sure her age would be a problem, but both liked her experience and for some reason like people from the northern states. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson