Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Sooo...one more question--- did/do those of you who were kind enough to respond LIKE Tucson, overall?
I grew up in the Washington Metropolitan Area and don't miss it one bit. What many Washingtonians consider sophistication and/or involvement, I consider to be nothing more than pretentious snobbery.

Thankfully, Tucson has very little of either which keeps me here.

Also, if you are taking a mere 10% cut in pay, it will feel like a huge raise.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Sooo...one more question--- did/do those of you who were kind enough to respond LIKE Tucson, overall?
I came here for family reasons that necessitate my staying for awhile longer. I've lived many places from DC to Washington State and I arrived in Tucson with a very open mind and honestly thought I might make it my permanent home. I've been here six years now and I will be leaving when circumstances allow.

I have found that my personal tastes and habits aren't really compatible with Tucson. It's not the weather at all; I enjoy all the sunshine. For me it's the lack of urban amenities. I'm into music and art and political activities and I don't enjoy the absence of variety. Please understand, I'm NOT blaming Tucson! But as I pointed out to you, one million people spread over an area the size of Connecticut makes it impossible to experience real city living here.

The downtown seems so collegiate to me and what's not is actually tiny and, let's be frank, much of it is very unattractive. It's not as if you get tired of something here and you move to another one in a new neighborhood. There might be one of a lot of things, but there is only one and it's small. The rest is endless suburbs, some stunningly beautiful, but still they're suburbs with chain stores, activities that don't vary from one neighborhood to the other, and many more retirees than any place I've ever experienced. I admit it, I'm just plain spoiled having had The Smithsonian at my doorstep for years, then living in New Jersey where I could take a train into Manhattan any time, also having worked and lived near Seattle and Denver, and for many years residing in Pittsburgh which contrary to its reputation is a cultural mecca. This just isn't making it for me. I'm not "laid-back," the seemingly favorite characteristic of Tucsonans.

I apologize if I'm offending anyone from Tucson. This is a charming place with a unique culture. I love San Xavier del Bac and Tohono Chul. But there are only so many 4th Street Fairs, rodeo parades, and mariachi festivals a gringo can go to before it's awfully repetitious. And it's not as if you can zip away for a weekend in another town when you're bored. It's Phoenix or Phoenix. Or a long, dull six-hour drive to San Diego, which to me is hardly go Friday and come back Sunday. When Tucson and I get divorced, we'll still be friends. I have family here and I will continue to visit. But when circumstances permit, I gotta get outta here. I guess I wasn't through with the fast lane. Maybe you are and will see it differently.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:43 AM

116 posts, read 227,984 times
FYI from info from others and personal experience some that I know who have lived and/or experienced both had different opinions. What I gathered was that is great sunshine, low humidity, lower cost of living, and outdoor beauty (Tucson has many mountains and beautiful desert nearby) are the important things, then you will probably enjoy Tucson. If weather and desert outdoor activities are not as important as city and cultural life, then one may want to consider whether one will be as happy in Tucson as DC.

Of course, there is always Phoenix. While there is much traffic intensity and concrete and asphalt, one is still in the desert with many more entertainment and cultural activities. I have met people who do not like Phoenix but then I met many others who love it. Similar to LA and San Francisco. Very different cities and some love one and dislike the other.

In one way it is hard to compare DC and Southwestern cities since they are so different but that is what makes us (USA) a great country, i.e., our large size and geographic diversity.

Anyway, I hope that this info helps. IMHO

Quote:
I may be offered a position in Tucson. I sort of back burnered this because I didn't think it was going to happen, but it looks like a real possibility. Its a sort of neutral career move with good pay, and I would consider it to make a change vice really "moving up."

I have been in DC for a long time, am a government employee (position offered is federal, too) and never lived in Arizona. I currently am very much involved in the "rat race" of political intrigue and power plays that come with living in the Nation's Capital and working in a headquarters. I am tired of it, but don't know if Tucson is the answer. I am in my 30s, These are my questions:

1. Will I be bored? Now, I know you can't really answer that, but I am going through a divorce and looking to expand my social circle. Are there things to do that are populated by adults who aren't U of A students?

2. If I work downtown and live downtown, will I need a car? Is the city somewhat walkable/bikable/bus friendly?

3. Are there apartments to be found that aren't new construction and carpeted? Looking for something with more charm and haven't seen much on Craigslist (though they are cheap compared to my current $2750 monthly rent.)

4. Any art scene? I love to draw and write and would like to get involved with some like minded groups.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of this info! I know it will be different, which is good, but I am not sure if it will be different in way I can deal with. How did you (former DCers who responded) adjust?

Because I am a GS employee, I will make about 10% less than the locality pay in the DC area. But with the cost of living being so much lower, I will probably come out ahead.
10% less income compared to DC; you'll make out like a fat rat in Tucson moneywise. I've visited the Nation's Capital and it's pretty much as the others here described, Tucson it ain't. Although the DC humidity in the summer makes Tucson summers pleasant. I've heard about DC winters but wasn't there then so I have no first hand knowledge.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
Many I have known over the years make the inquiry about cars coming from the east coast.
Yes, plan on it.
Tucson is a big area and unlike the east coast that has hubs of mas transit you will find that unless you want to be confined to just one area which is doubtful you will want a car.
Besides you will be in a brand new area and will want to explore and you will find town to town that unlike the east coast public transit is not not there in many cases. People out west own cars.
You are going to be amazed coming out of DC at the changes from the lifestyle there to here. I have know many federal employees that went there from the western states and could not wait to get out of the DC area.
My wife was offered a job there when we were caught up in a DoD base closure in the 1993 era and wanted to take the job. I took early retirement instead and she found another job on her own.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:58 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
Without giving too much personal info, I will be making somewhere in the 80K range in Tucson. I have been checking out real estate sites and see that buying a decent house may be possible on my salary alone (unheard of in DC.) This is really appealing, but will only remain so as long as I want to stay in the city. There seem to be a ton of places for sale, which tell me that getting out may be more difficult than coming in. Renting may be safer.

The lack of options for entertainment is coming through loud and clear. I am still (relatively) young but not a college student, and really value diversity of choice. I, too, have spent time next door to the Smithsonian, lived in NYC, San Francisco and Chicago. I moved to Savannah briefly, but found that the provincial quality of life lost its sheen after awhile. The desert landscape is really appealing, and the slower pace may be what I need during this stage in my life, but I am not sure that I would "last" without lots of choice and activities.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
I moved to Savannah briefly, but found that the provincial quality of life lost its sheen after awhile.
Tucson is larger than Savannah, but I suspect you'll come to the same conclusion if you move here.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:36 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
with your income, buying a nice house is no problem

Old 01-07-2012, 03:53 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I came here for family reasons that necessitate my staying for awhile longer. I've lived many places from DC to Washington State and I arrived in Tucson with a very open mind and honestly thought I might make it my permanent home. I've been here six years now and I will be leaving when circumstances allow.

I have found that my personal tastes and habits aren't really compatible with Tucson. It's not the weather at all; I enjoy all the sunshine. For me it's the lack of urban amenities. I'm into music and art and political activities and I don't enjoy the absence of variety. Please understand, I'm NOT blaming Tucson! But as I pointed out to you, one million people spread over an area the size of Connecticut makes it impossible to experience real city living here.

The downtown seems so collegiate to me and what's not is actually tiny and, let's be frank, much of it is very unattractive. It's not as if you get tired of something here and you move to another one in a new neighborhood. There might be one of a lot of things, but there is only one and it's small. The rest is endless suburbs, some stunningly beautiful, but still they're suburbs with chain stores, activities that don't vary from one neighborhood to the other, and many more retirees than any place I've ever experienced. I admit it, I'm just plain spoiled having had The Smithsonian at my doorstep for years, then living in New Jersey where I could take a train into Manhattan any time, also having worked and lived near Seattle and Denver, and for many years residing in Pittsburgh which contrary to its reputation is a cultural mecca. This just isn't making it for me. I'm not "laid-back," the seemingly favorite characteristic of Tucsonans.

I apologize if I'm offending anyone from Tucson. This is a charming place with a unique culture. I love San Xavier del Bac and Tohono Chul. But there are only so many 4th Street Fairs, rodeo parades, and mariachi festivals a gringo can go to before it's awfully repetitious. And it's not as if you can zip away for a weekend in another town when you're bored. It's Phoenix or Phoenix. Or a long, dull six-hour drive to San Diego, which to me is hardly go Friday and come back Sunday. When Tucson and I get divorced, we'll still be friends. I have family here and I will continue to visit. But when circumstances permit, I gotta get outta here. I guess I wasn't through with the fast lane. Maybe you are and will see it differently.
A very well written and accurately descriptive post, IMO.

Quote:
Without giving too much personal info, I will be making somewhere in the 80K range in Tucson. I have been checking out real estate sites and see that buying a decent house may be possible on my salary alone (unheard of in DC.) This is really appealing, but will only remain so as long as I want to stay in the city. There seem to be a ton of places for sale, which tell me that getting out may be more difficult than coming in. Renting may be safer.

The lack of options for entertainment is coming through loud and clear. I am still (relatively) young but not a college student, and really value diversity of choice. I, too, have spent time next door to the Smithsonian, lived in NYC, San Francisco and Chicago. I moved to Savannah briefly, but found that the provincial quality of life lost its sheen after awhile. The desert landscape is really appealing, and the slower pace may be what I need during this stage in my life, but I am not sure that I would "last" without lots of choice and activities.

My suggestion would to bring your car, rent a nice place and sock away a lot of the money you are earning - which far exceeds what you need to live comfortably in Tucson. When not at work, relax, slow down, enjoy life and take in all the beauty and amentities the area offers.

A few years down the road, if/when the novelty wears off and the urge for big city life tugs at you, take the bankroll you saved and move on.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
if you think you'll be here for more than, say, two or three years, I'd go ahead and buy a place....otherwise, rent.....if you buy, don't expect a lot of appreciation, but you'll probably get out w/o a loss, ultimately....an 80K salary is very nice for out here.....if you buy, look hard and compare very, very recent comps.....N/S exposure is nice, refrigeration or swamp??!!!

with one million in the metro area, this isn't a cultural desert, but it's not DC, either....there are lots of groups, meetups, UA stuff to attend or participate in....you'll have to find it, of course....but, compared to Savannah, I think you'll find it more lively, of course....

be ready for much lower density, mostly one- and two-story buildings, more driving and less walking, no Metro (of course), longer distances to almost everything, including another big city.....

lots of considerations....you can start by talking a little slower!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson