Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,305 times

Advertisements

Hi Tucson aficionados,

I'm meeting up with an old Navy buddy in Tucson next weekend for a guys weekend out. I've never been to Tucson and am seeking the vibrant part of the city where a couple of old friends who haven't seen each other in quite a while can blow off some steam and have a good time. A little party atmosphere is good.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,072,580 times
how old are you guys?.....

Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
how old are you guys?.....
Mid-thirties.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,421,995 times
Calvary Chapel

Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 PM

much of the bar/club scene revolves around the UA crowd and, since school's out now, it won't feel so heavy with student-age types wherever you go....so that's good...

there is no "party central" street or neighborhood like some larger cities have....still a pretty small-feeling town with a lot of far-flung centers of moderate activity...also, nobody dresses up here, especially in the summer, so don't worry about that....

many here will chime in, I hope....a local favorite neighborhood sort of bar is Bob Dobb's on the NE corner of 6th St and Tucson Blvd....very, very casual, small, friendly, no attitude....been around for about 20 years and draws a UA crowd before/after games.... Bob Dobb's Bar and Grill, Tucson, Arizona not really a party atmosphere, as you requested, but very easy, casual...maybe a place to start your evening rather than end it....you'll have to drive here and drive to the next place, so maybe this isn't what you want....

gee, I hope others have more....

Old 07-19-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
much of the bar/club scene revolves around the UA crowd and, since school's out now, it won't feel so heavy with student-age types wherever you go....so that's good...

there is no "party central" street or neighborhood like some larger cities have....still a pretty small-feeling town with a lot of far-flung centers of moderate activity...also, nobody dresses up here, especially in the summer, so don't worry about that....

many here will chime in, I hope....a local favorite neighborhood sort of bar is Bob Dobb's on the NE corner of 6th St and Tucson Blvd....very, very casual, small, friendly, no attitude....been around for about 20 years and draws a UA crowd before/after games.... Bob Dobb's Bar and Grill, Tucson, Arizona not really a party atmosphere, as you requested, but very easy, casual...maybe a place to start your evening rather than end it....you'll have to drive here and drive to the next place, so maybe this isn't what you want....

gee, I hope others have more....
Thanks for the pointer for Bob Dobbs's..

I'm not really looking for party central Per Se (as in party till ya puke); my reason for asking for 'some' party atmosphere was so that I wouldn't get recommendations for really dead places

Frankly, small town feel appeals to me...while it is nice having numerous interesting places within walking distance of each other (I live in Denver and am accustomed to this), I am perfectly willing to shoot across town for worthwhile destinations.

When I visit an unfamiliar place, I tend to gravitate toward the eclectic places (i.e. places uniquely Tucson).

Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,581,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berferd View Post
Thanks for the pointer for Bob Dobbs's..

I'm not really looking for party central Per Se (as in party till ya puke); my reason for asking for 'some' party atmosphere was so that I wouldn't get recommendations for really dead places

Frankly, small town feel appeals to me...while it is nice having numerous interesting places within walking distance of each other (I live in Denver and am accustomed to this), I am perfectly willing to shoot across town for worthwhile destinations.

When I visit an unfamiliar place, I tend to gravitate toward the eclectic places (i.e. places uniquely Tucson).
I don't know if you're looking for a LoDo type area in Tucson, but we're more like the Springs but without the conservative feel. I lived in CO (Littleton and Teller County) for 40 years, and I guess I'd say that Tucson is to Phoenix what the Springs is to Denver. Others on this board can give you specific places to go around the University area that I'm not familliar with as I'm up in Oro Valley. While you're here, have a great time!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 AM

484 posts, read 970,752 times
Downtown. It will be hit or miss but the Hub last night was very busy.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 AM

923 posts, read 1,431,347 times
This might help you.

Bars & Pubs - 4th Avenue – Tucson, AZ

Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 AM

as suggested, the area around The Hub downtown (a few blocks in each direction) is not at all bad, but not an utterly booming packed kinda of place....maybe eat at The Hub, then walk around the area....not at all fancy - even a bit junky/funky in many spots down there....then you can easily walk to the 4th Ave area from downtown (under and beyond the RR tracks) and see how that strikes you - it's known locally as the "hippy" part of town, but Maloney's and O'Malley's (if each hasn't changed names or whatever) are cool, very casual bars w/o the hippy vibe.....

check google maps or your favorite map site....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson