Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:12 AM

604 posts, read 935,023 times

Advertisements

I first posted this in the Phoenix Forum then thought perhaps it might also fit here:

We're planning our first tour of age-restricted communities in mid June. We're flying from MN to PHX. First stop will be a two night stay at Del Webb's Festival. During that time we thought we'd take a quick look at S.C. Grand, S.C. West and Pebble Creek.

Then we're off to Tucson for a 3 night stay at Saddlebrooke Ranch. During this stay we want to see Vistoso, Sunflower, Rancho Del Lago, Quail Creek.

Finally we're heading back to the airport with a two night stay at S.C. Anthem at Merrill Ranch. While there we want to also see Sun Lakes, Province.

We're a couple years off from making a move but wanted to take a first look. We want to stay pretty close to $175k to $230k so some communities are a little rich for our blood. Also, we want casual. I'm a bit put off seeing guys in dress slacks and alligator marked polo shirts hanging out a golf clubs. Sorry folks, we prefer shorts, t-shirts and sandals. I've worked big city professional jobs, have graduate degree but for gosh sakes folks...give it up and relax!

We also prefer established homes as opposed to new construction. Who wants to build with the additional upgrades, window coverings and landscaping (which takes years to mature)? Seems like existing homes are a better buy.

We're open to your suggestions on communities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 AM

741 posts, read 764,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Sorry folks, we prefer shorts, t-shirts and sandals. I've worked big city professional jobs, fhave graduate degree but or gosh sakes folks...give it up and relax!
It seems to me you're focusing your attention on places where the lifestyle may be what you say you don't want - or the people residing there are ones you'd like to avoid. Have you considered Green Valley, south of Tucson?

Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
I think your two main considerations should be price and weather. There is a big difference between Sun City West for example and Saddlebrook Ranch. Sun City West and the rest of the Phoenix are will be 8-9 degrees warmer year round. SBR for example probably gets a little snow almost every year and the day temperature in winter will feel a lot colder than Phoenix. If you are living in Phoenix you are also in a major metropolitan area with big league sports, entertainment etc. Visiting in mid-June will give you an idea of how hot Phoenix is. You can go from 103 or so in Phoenix to maybe 94 in SBR and 99 in Tucson.

In your price range Sun City, Sun City West, and the area around Surprise, AZ would seem to be very attractive. You might also check out Mesa arizona and Sunland Village. Some of the Arizona communities dont pay property taxes. A lot of the 55+ communities do pay school taxes. If you dont need a golf course there are some smaller townhome communities in Tucson that would be attractive. A lot of the older homes are masonry construction. The downside is they are poorly insulated often with sheet-rock over masonry.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 PM

105 posts, read 227,917 times
Of course I'm just sharing opinion here but I did my first tour last December.We plan another June 9-13 to get a feel for the summer temp as we would become year rounders. Rancho del Lago was awful, don't bother. Saddlebrook Ranch is very new, pretty nice but subject to wind. My favorites were Dove Mountain, Quail Creek and the original Saddlebrook. Didn't visit Vistoso as homes are older but if mid 90's construction doesn't bother you the photos I see look good. I have friends in Sun City Grand in Surprise. Very nice homes but Phoenix is hotter than Tucson area. I understand there is a new Del Webb Dove Mountain starting up I haven't seen. The master planning aspect and more lush desert in that area was very appealing to me. The Dove Mountain location north of central Tucson brings the entertainment and international airport of Phoenix closer without getting far out from Tucson activities.

Steve

Old 05-03-2014, 04:45 PM

6 posts, read 25,832 times
I beg to differ regarding Rancho del Lago. It is outstanding -- location, amenities, quality of the homes, and friendly people. Schools in the Vail area are the best in Arizona. Couldn't stand Quail Creek.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM

Also wondering if older homes (built in the 80's and 90's) found in Sun City OV/Sunflower might be energy inefficient. Or might they be a better build quality than the new homes? Since we're in MN and not familiar with what is "good build quality" for AZ I'd appreciate any comments or advice on what to look for.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Also wondering if older homes (built in the 80's and 90's) found in Sun City OV/Sunflower might be energy inefficient. Or might they be a better build quality than the new homes? Since we're in MN and not familiar with what is "good build quality" for AZ I'd appreciate any comments or advice on what to look for.
Sunflower homes are going to be newer than Sun City homes. Most of the Sunflower homes were built 1998 and later. Sun City Vistoso is mostly mid 80ish to mid 90's. The newer the home the more energy efficient the AC unit will be. Overall construction about the same, (frame/stucco construction with Mission Tile roofs). More of the newer homes will have dual pane windows so that is something to consider. Also, a big factor to consider. Homes built anywhere in AZ prior to 1996 may have polybutylene plumbing, and that is a big issue to know about. Class action lawsuits etc in the 90's. Check out the link for information. Anywhere from 5 -10K to repipe a home depending on size and # of fixtures.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 PM

721 posts, read 997,576 times
Rick, you are a fountain of housing knowledge. There are so many things to watch out for when house hunting in a place where there is so much new construction! I will be sure and add that plumbing issue to my list!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 AM

I agree with RobertaWa concerning posts from Rick! Good stuff. Our visit to the area begins June 14th (Phoenix area) and then 16th (Tucson) area. I'm sure when we get a look at the communities I'll be able to ask more informed questions. I'd have never known about the plumbing issue had Rick not been available here. Thank you Rick!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:35 AM

105 posts, read 227,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Slammer View Post
I beg to differ regarding Rancho del Lago. It is outstanding -- location, amenities, quality of the homes, and friendly people. Schools in the Vail area are the best in Arizona. Couldn't stand Quail Creek.
One or both of us may have gone to the wrong place. RDL was reached after a fairly long drive from Sahuarita over rather poor roads. The entrance to RDL was marked by a temporary sign after several difficult to follow small signs. Inside I saw very small homes on very small lots with no golf course in sight. I saw new homes being built and spoke with the sales rep. There may be older phases connected with RDL that actually have ammenities and a golf course but the area being built now did not appear to have close access to either.

At any rate I stated I was offering my opinion and I hope the poster ignores my advice and looks for himself at both RDL and Quail then reports back. I shouldn't go as far as dismissing anything out of hand

Steve

Last edited by sownman; 05-06-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson