Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:20 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,749 times

Advertisements

I was looking at houses on TarMLS and came across one listed as 'barrio style'. When I looked up 'barrio' - it's Spanish for neighborhood. So the house is a neighborhood style house?

Wikipedia says... "More commonly, however, in the United States, barrios refer to lower-class neighborhoods with largely Spanish-speaking residents, basically the Latino equivalent of a "ghetto". The word often implies that the poverty level is high in such a neighborhood, but this inference is not universal." So... it's a crummy house in a bad neighborhood?

What does this really mean?

Here's the listing for reference: link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
That's certainly not a barrio house in my book... Here are some examples:

http://beautiful-landscape.com/New%2...io-bicycle.jpg

http://www.tucsonazrealestatemarket....11-300x225.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/...b059b1.jpg?v=0

Old 07-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Is it kind of like how they bill small, cramped and old houses as 'cozy'?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
Is it kind of like how they bill small, cramped and old houses as 'cozy'?
These houses are just old. At the time most houses were "cozy"...

Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,352,608 times
Quote:
Wikipedia says... "More commonly, however, in the United States, barrios refer to lower-class neighborhoods with largely Spanish-speaking residents, basically the Latino equivalent of a "ghetto". The word often implies that the poverty level is high in such a neighborhood, but this inference is not universal.
Hi, J,JBB... good topic! Tucson definitely has neighborhoods with "Barrio" titles.

However, barrio has always only meant neighborhood in the Spanish language. For some reason, unbeknownst to many in the Hispanic culture, the word has plummeted, and taken on a bad "ghetto-like" meaning.

Granted, there are some bad neighorhoods everywhere. However, there are good and decent hard-working people who are of Hispanic backgrounds, who happen to have lower incomes, which live in certain of these neighborhoods (or barrios) which may be considered less than desirable. Unfortunately, they may be lumped in with those people who also live there and are undesirable!

Barrios (and Hispanics), unfortunately, receive not only that kind of evaluation, but this kind as well:
"Oh, I know an Hispanic family down the street, BUT they're very nice people!"
Its like saying: I know a Scandanavian family down the street, BUT they're very nice people!"

These are cultural habits that will need to be dealt with before there is much understanding amongst the different ethnic groups in Tucson - or anywhere.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:13 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,535,084 times
*dons troll mask*

I know the troglodyte family down the street, but they seem to be nice people?

I don't know for sure, they never come out of their cave... home.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:13 PM

I understand the cultural reference, Z. I just wasn't sure if 'barrio' was denoting a certain style of house (like colonial, adobe, modern, ect).

Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
*dons troll mask*

I know the troglodyte family down the street, but they seem to be nice people?

I don't know for sure, they never come out of their cave... home.
I loved the TROGS "Wild Thing"!

Quote:
I understand the cultural reference, Z. I just wasn't sure if 'barrio' was denoting a certain style of house (like colonial, adobe, modern, ect).
Gotcha, J,JBB. I wanted to expand on the info about the barrio thing a bit more, based on what's been happening to the word, even here in Tucson.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM

No, it's okay. That's why I was confused. The association with the word isn't really a nice association, but the house looked nice. I was a little confused.

I thought maybe they were calling houses with stone/adobe walls around them 'barrio style' (which is cool 'cause I love those walls).

Old 07-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
No, it's okay. That's why I was confused. The association with the word isn't really a nice association, but the house looked nice. I was a little confused.

I thought maybe they were calling houses with stone/adobe walls around them 'barrio style' (which is cool 'cause I love those walls).
If THAT's supposedly a "barrio" house - it looks really incredible to me - really nice! I'd say go ahead and BUY it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson