Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 AM

50 posts, read 79,307 times

Advertisements

I'm a newly single mom of two. I currently live in upstate NY where my husband's family is, but considering our split I am wanting to move back to Arizona to be closer to my own family. I was originally thinking East Valley, but on my previous trips Tucson has always appealed to me more.
A friend who lives in Rancho Sahuarita has been telling me all about her neighborhood and community and I am loving what I hear. However, my Tucson family is more in East Tucson, in and around Rita Ranch. I can't necessarily make a trip out before deciding and really will be trying to get everything done from here. My moving timeframe based on the Arizona academic calendar is June.
This is what I am looking for:
  • Good school district
    Family friendly and safe
    3-4 bedroom rental house between $950-1200/month
    Close proximity to things like Target, restaurants, maybe a mall

I have a job here I am thinking of asking about telecommuting from, but will also be looking for other possibilities before moving.

What would your recommendations for where to live be based on the above? For background, yes I am familiar with the heat and everything that comes from living in AZ. I was out there from 2000-2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
If shopping is an important feature, rule out Rancho Sahuarita as the closest big stores are at I-19 and Irvington, 15 miles north. It fits all the other criteria.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:12 AM

170 posts, read 234,296 times
I'd say look into an older neighborhood in NW Tucson. A lot of the outside areas (Marana, Sahuarita, Vail) have nice housing, but there isnt anything within 15 minutes of the housing (although Marana is very much the next big thing in Tucson Metro.)

Amphitheater isnt a terrible school district. Look into Lulu Walker, La Cima, CDO school neighborhoods. Avoid Flowing Wells at all costs.....

Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,629 times
I lived in Rancho Sahuarita for many years and finally got out a couple of years ago. My advice is to stay away from it. There are no big amenities nearby and it has gotten overly crowded and traffic sucks. The houses are crammed on top of each other and you will hear dogs barking nonstop and neighbors' conversations while in your house. The pool and gym are great, but again overcrowded. Stick with Tucson. HOA fees continue to rise every year while your amenities diminish. If you are renting, more than likely the homeowner would be paying that fee for you tho.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:18 AM

Okay, thanks for the advice. This search may not work well anyway considering I just discovered how bad the job market is in Tucson compared to Phoenix. I can find a ton of options there, but not so much in Tucson, and anything I am finding pays less. May have to stick with the original plan of the Phoenix area after all. Bummer because I love Tucson!

Old 01-29-2015, 12:16 PM

Unless you are looking into the UofA, Davis Monthan, Ventana Medical, or Raytheon.......go to PHX.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:41 PM

None of the above. I'm in HR/Industrial Organizational Psychology.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM

:flyover my head:

Yeah, I'd look elsewhere. LOL

Old 01-29-2015, 04:17 PM

LOL, thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson