Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:49 PM

32 posts, read 67,271 times

Advertisements

our son will be transferring to the Sahuarita/Green Valley area, and wondered it someone could give me some input on housing, a good realtor and/or good builders for new construction. also, are there apartments to rent? most of the posts here are older, and I would like to do some research (I love this type of thing) Before he moves. our son is in his early 30's. Where do you meet single young people? Do you need to go to Tucson? Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,755 times
I am based in Tucson but as a Realtor I spend a lot of time in Green Valley and Sahuarita. Both are good communities, but for a single person in his early 30's your son may prefer Sahuarita since it is closer to Tucson and to answer your question, yes, he is likely to have trouble meeting other single, young people there.

Green Valley is predominately a retirement community, with many neighborhoods being restricted to 55+. It is a working community, however, so there are some younger people there, but not a large community of them. Sahuarita is not a retirement community but it is a suburb aimed squarely at attracting families, so again there isn't going to be a ton of opportunity to meet similarly young and single types.

The good news is that it's not too far to get into Tucson, and the "happening" part of Tucson where someone is likely to make social connections is less than a half-hour from Sahuarita. So depending on where he will end up working he could easily live closer to Tucson and commute to work or live close to work and a couple of times a week head into town.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches02 View Post
our son will be transferring to the Sahuarita/Green Valley area, and wondered it someone could give me some input on housing, a good realtor and/or good builders for new construction. also, are there apartments to rent? most of the posts here are older, and I would like to do some research (I love this type of thing) Before he moves. our son is in his early 30's. Where do you meet single young people? Do you need to go to Tucson? Thanks in advance for any input!

One of the discussions today at the Green Valley Council's meeting today was the recruitment of physicians to the new Green Valley Hospital, especially primary care physicians.

One of the major issues in recruiting younger people to work in Green Valley in any position is the LACK of housing that is attractive to young, single employees.

MOST of the housing in Green Valley is deed restricted to adults 55+. I would estimate that about 85% of the housing falls into this category. Honestly, living in a community that is so much geared to over 55+ limits the social opportunities for younger people.

There are a few apartment complexes on LaCanada near Duval Mine Rd.

In my opinion, Sahuarita is NOT much better. Someone once told me that the town is one third 55+, one third law enforcement (CBP), and one third military. That MIGHT be a generalization, but it does have a degree of accuracy. Also, most residents are families as opposed to single people.

North of Sahuarita for 10+ miles is the Tohono O'odham nation. South Tucson has apartments but it tends to be a largely Hispanic, working class neighborhood.

South of Green Valley is mostly rural, with few services.

That means your son will need to drive about 25-30 miles to Downtown Tucson, the University area, or East Tucson to find an attractive lifestyle. The good part is the commute is fairly easy as there is not generally back ups on I-19. The bad news is that you are signing up for a fairly long commute that grows old pretty quickly.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback!! He is CBP, and was trying to find the best "fit" for both traveling South and North. Does anyone know if there is apartment complexes in Sahaurita? He is a little uncomfortable purchasing something immediately, not knowing if there are better parts of town to settle down in, but would possibly consider it after hearing more about the community. If anyone can give any insight on where to live in Sahuarita, it would be appreciated. I love looking at housing and he has asked me to do some leg work for him. We have moved a lot and built a few homes, so I have a feel for what he is looking for.

Also, I am looking for down the road when we retire. The feedback and "looking" helps me get to know the area a bit. It's nice that there are 55 active plus communities in the area too. If anyone could also make recommendations on the best retirement communities, it would be greatly appreciated. I am concerned about construction and insulation. We are presently living in the North, and want to find out what we need to know before we come down :-)

Old 03-18-2016, 08:39 AM

612 posts, read 1,020,755 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is apartment complexes in Sahaurita?
The only apartment community I know of is low-income housing, and I doubt a CBP guy would qualify. Otherwise there are many houses for rent in the area.

Quote:
If anyone can give any insight on where to live in Sahuarita, it would be appreciated.
Sahuarita really isn't big enough to have this conversation - when you're in Sahuarita your just "in Sahuarita" - it's that small. There are some outskirts, with older homes on larger lots from before they started the big housing developments, but that's all.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Thanks. I thought it was a small community, but wasn't sure. I appreciate your input!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
If I were working for CBP, I would rent first to see if your son likes the job and likes the area. Southern Arizona is NOT for everyone.

As for construction, well it depends. Most of the places in Green Valley are older and built to better standards than most new construction. And housing is available from $50k- $2M.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:07 PM

682 posts, read 718,200 times
Sahuarita extends about 10 miles or so south of Rancho Sahuarita so don't think that Rancho (where the huge housing development is) is all that Sahuarita has to offer. Its boundaries butts up against Green Valley so it may be hard to see when you are in one or the other.
The super Walmart is in Sahuarita and all the housing in that area is fine. Actually pretty much everywhere in Green Valley and Sahuarita are not bad areas.
The apartment bldg that was mentioned earlier is right by I-10 and it is income restricted. There are lots of homes for rent in all of the cookie cutters...Madera Highlands is one such cookie cutter. If you do a google search then you'll be able to get a whole list of developments.
He would need to go into Tucson to meet people. Not that bad of a drive as long he doesn't go drinking and then tries to drive. Straight down I-10 to Tucson.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:27 AM

Thanks again for all the input!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,629 times
Peaches, didn't you post the same post several months ago? I responded to an almost identical post then. Actually, people are giving you wrong information. Many CBP/military folks rent at Sandstone Ridge Apartments. It is NOT income restricted and it's located near I-19/Duval Mine Rd, not I-10. I-10 is not near Sahuarita. There are also rentals that open up occasionally at Valley Verde Townhomes on La Canada. I believe the listings will be advertised with Tower Rentals if you want to check their website. It's a decent place (I lived there several years ago). There is a crappy complex called Via Alamos, but I would definitely stay away from that place. He can also rent houses in Rancho Sahuarita, Rancho Abrego and Madera Highlands. He could also consider renting a room in a home. Check Craigslist as there will be people seeking roommates in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson