Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,994 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to Arizona soon with my job and if so I will be working in Three Points. I've heard that the southern part of Tucson is not very nice. From what I've been reading here it seems Marana might be a decent place to live but I was wondering what that commute would be like? It looks like there is a back road that goes straight down from Marana to the highway that goes out to Three Points and I was wondering what you think about that drive? Also Marana in general. We want to live in a safe community that is close to shopping, Starbucks, Costco and a gym etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 08:27 PM

992 posts, read 878,160 times
If I were you, I would definitely consider living in the new Mercado District. They have gorgeous southwest-style homes, its walkable, there is a whole market with restaurants and things, its close to everything else, and its on the streetcar line to downtown and the university. Also, it would be convenient for your commute.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM

344 posts, read 551,657 times
Find a temporary rental and then look. Tons of storage places around town for your stuff. Go exploring every chance you can. Buy a Gazetteer of AZ and drive around getting lost a lot. Not giving you the razzoo, it's the best way. You will be driving along and suddenly find the exact spot you want, which you would not have ever found looking at online maps or reading reviews.

I've found several dozens of cool places that look like nothing special on a map. You're out on a back road and you see a property for sale sign down a rough road? Go look. (rent a 4WD for this one, I could tell stories) You're in town and there's this quirky little street? Go look.

There are variations in elevation, neighborhood quality, routing and timing, that are impossible to quantify. There are surprises, places with entries that don't look like much but are hidden gems. You'll need to decide the tradeoffs in commuting time and shopping access for yourself.

Also, you can have acreage. Possible out here to buy a 10, 20, 40 acre (1/4 mile x 1/4 mile) parcel for reasonable $$ and build what you want. There are nice places in town, for sure, but now you have more options that you do in NYC, speaking as someone who once lived there.

My own opinion is I want to either live right in a busy vibrant walkable city or out in the country. Suburbia is a pointless stifle, IMO.

When I live out in the boonies I make shopping lists and bring iced coolers. I can do 2 weeks shopping in 3 hours including travel. It's a different way than you're used to. I remember being able to walk to H&H at 0300 and buy a hot fresh bagel still steaming. Or head into a corner store at the same hour and choose between 40 kinds of olive oil with lots of fresh produce stacked around.

Tradeoffs. And keep in mind that you are going to change out here. Your needs will adapt to new availabilities. Renting at first is a wise thing to do. Esp. since property values may not hold in the coming years.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:51 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,204,256 times
There are some nice properties and neighborhoods within close commuting distance of Three Points. They are much cheaper than Tucson or Marana. But there are few services in the area at present.

They are widening Ajo as far as Ryan Field so that commute would eventually be easier if you lived in town. Sandario Rd is OK but I'm not sure how it would be at rush hour to/from Marana. It's just a two lane rural road.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,994 times
Diffenately going to rent at least the first year. We might be packing up and moving again in 2018 with my job. Our main priorities are safety. I work long hours and I don't want to worry about safety at home. I'm going to be very limited with time for searching for a place there so driving around taking time is not an option. We do not want to live around college kids or anywhere around bums or any other kind of drama. Don't mind the suburbs. Would actually prefer them to high density living. I've lived jammed packed in big cities before and not looking to go back to that. Not into living in the boonies either. Will probably have a day or less of time to find a place. We may have to do most of it on the internet. Would like to be close to a nice dog park if possible. Any ideas?

Old 01-16-2017, 02:51 PM

992 posts, read 878,160 times
For renting:
2015 E 2nd St, Tucson, AZ 85719 | Zillow
834 E Mabel St, Tucson, AZ 85719 | Zillow
2219 N Hampton St, Tucson, AZ 85719 | Zillow

For buying:
248 S Avenida Del Palo Fiero, Tucson, AZ 85745 | MLS #21623278 | Zillow
2143 E 10th St, Tucson, AZ 85719 | MLS #21628282 | Zillow
2009 E 10th St, Tucson, AZ 85719 | MLS #21633459 | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson