Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 AM

19 posts, read 152,672 times

Advertisements

I have a hard decission to make. Currently I live in Prescott, Arizona. I have lived in Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, and Phoenix. I have an interview at UMC in Tucson this tuesday to work there. I also have an interview the following thursday to work at the hospital in Flagstaff. I will probably also be looking around in Phoenix to work as well to see what they offer. I am 26 years old and don't have a family to worry about. In your opinion, would Tucson be a place to live for a few years or would you go to flagstaff? Both interviews are this week and I will have to make a decission I'm sure. I am staying overnight in Tucson to browse the city around because I have never been there. Everyone just says to stay away from S. Tuscon and it's ok. The thing that attracks me there is the University Hospital because it's a teaching hospital, but I just don't know if that's a good enough reason to move to Tucson. The only thing I have against Flagstaff is that it's too cold most of the year and I like the warmer weather. So out of the two which would you pic Flagstaff or Tucson?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 01:00 AM

WOW!!! After reading some of your responses to other post, there is no way in hell I would move to Tucson. I believe that I have made up my mind and will cancel my interview with the Hospital there. I thought Phoenix was bad, I think Phoenix would be a more tolorable city to live in than Tucson. I get the picture that Tucson appears to be a 3rd world city with nothing to do and officals who don't seem to know how to run the city with I-10 being shut down. I am really glad I found this post on the internet.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Interesting question AND answer, David.

Personally, I prefer Tucson mainly because of the weather as well as the small town (read: cowtown) mentality that so many find offensive. Granted there's much more to do in Phoenix but traffic, crime and cost of living are higher too. Flagstaff is smaller but I felt the cost of living vs salaries was a major negative.

Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 PM

I'm still going to check out the town this monday and tuesday though...haha!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 PM

68 posts, read 210,092 times
Default Tucson VS Flagstaff

I think your answer is hilarious. You post a question and no one answers, so you answer yourself. Interesting.

Let me give you some advice. Most of these posts are bogus. Tucson is the most bizarre place I have ever lived. I was transfered here for a job last year. I too consulted this board and I too was very disgruntled that I was moving to such a sucky place. But then I got here and it's nothing like what most of these posts state. It's actually a really cool place to live. Weird but cool. I've been to Flagstaff, which I think is beautiful but cold and a lot less to do. Tucson is growing. The problem with Tucson growing is that the weirdo's that grew up here don't want it to grow. They are all bitter because they can't afford to live here anymore. I rented on the NW side of town when I came here and ended up building a house in Rancho Sahuarita. It's awesome out here. I actually commute from Sahuarita to NW Tucson 5 days a week for my job. Yes, the freeway is shut down but there is barely any traffic. People here are weird. They make a huge deal out of everything and everything is the end of the world. If you look to the out skirts of Tucson- Sahuarita, Oro Valley, NW side, Foothills you will find very happy normal people. People that do not post on this board, for the most part. Crime is crime and it is everywhere and it's not NEARLY as bad as Houston (where I moved from). I really think most of these people need to get out of Tucson and experience the rest of the country. They have skewed views backed by no experience. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 AM

Thanks for your honost post. If I do get the job in Tucson, then I really only "plan" on staying for a few years and then I'll move like I always do. I'm looking just to get an apartment somewhere and not renting or buying a home. I was thinking of getting an apartment next ot U of A if there are any just because I feel that it may be a little safer since I don't really know the town to well. If anyone has any ideals or websites for apartments in Tucson that would be great. But something close to UMC because I'm tired of commuting to work. I will be out monday and I'm going to drive around and check things out. When I applied for the job I actually had a good feeling about it, and they called me the next day and set me up for 3 interviews. It was much easier in Tucson too compared to Phoenix where the nurse recruiters were very unfriendly at some of the hospitals. I guess they figuere they got numbers coming in and people are always applying there so you're just nothing but another number. I actually have high hopes, just don't know what to expect. Who knows, maybe I'll won't even get the job haha so I shouldn't think to far ahead.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Good approach, David

Try giving Tucson a chance with an open mind and you may be surprised and your plans may change.

I relocated here "temporarily" a little over ten years ago and have been here ever since. NOT perfect but the best so far.

As for living in the UofA area . . . as I have posted a few times before, great area but tends to be a little noisy and conjested. Remember, "party noise" is great when you are invited to the party and involved but . . .

Otherwise, there are plenty of safe and clean areas centrally located in and around UMC. Basically stay North of Speedway or at least Broadway (with a few exceptions) and you should be fine.

Once again, Good Luck!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:32 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,683 times
Personally I love Tucson. I lived in Oro Valley and had to move b/c of my husband's work, but we'd still be there if we hadn't had to move. We go back to visit all the time still. I really do not like Phoenix, but what i found is that people either loved Phoenix and hated Tucson or vice versa. They have different things to offer so are not interchangeable. If you like the outdoors (hiking, natural desert, not into shopping) you'll love Tucson. If your idea of a good time is high-end shopping, green grass, no critters, then Phoenix is probably better. (There's la encantada inTucson, but overall the shopping is in Phoenix).

But OK, you're asking about Phoenix. We spent a lot of time in Flag as well, and I love visiting there. My husband would pick it over Tucson, but I would not. To me, it's great to visit, but too small to live there. Plus it just seems a little rundown to me (I know I know, real estate is very expensive, tons of people with money there, it's got a great "flavor"--I get that. But still that's how it just feels to me). Also I'm not into cold weather so for me Tucson was the place. It's a very personal decision though--they are very very different towns.

I am always amazed when I read posts bashing Tucson. You can be outside all year (yes, even in summer the mornings and evenings are beautiful and not hot), no bugs to speak of, friendly people, beautiful hiking and biking and running in the mountains with views of the mountains all over the place even if you don't drive to them. I've lived all over the US, and this (and N.CA) are my 2 favorite places by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson