Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Ok, Sierra . . . here's a Plan B

Save the BIG BUCKS by ordering the Blinds online and when they arrived hire a handyman to install them for you.

How's that?
Well, that can work in theory. However, in practice I'll most likely end up with a bunch of worthless blinds due to my measurements... Anywhooo, eventually it'll get figured out somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Thank you very much for the extensive response, mdtoaz!

With 3-day (2-weeks ) Blinds were you not impressed with the blinds themselves or with the service?

Hey, if your portfolio is impressive and the charge is competitive , why not? I'd like to meet you anyway. Thanks for the help and the offer!
First off, no problem... my husband's a paperwork packrat, so we have quotes from all kinds of different projects. Let me know if you're getting a new countertop - got lotsa info on that too.

3-day Blinds just didn't impress me overall... the service was okay, I guess. Their selection wasn't that great. The faux-wood they had was really cheesy and their wood selections almost looked like the other places fake wood. It wasn't anything in particular that turned me off, just an overall impression.

Um, I guess our portfolio is our house. Basically, we're a cheap couple that likes to do home improvement stuff ourselves... most of the time it's turned out well. When we sold our old house, we had realtors asking who our decorator was and our neighbor brought her husband over to show him how she wanted her house.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
First off, no problem... my husband's a paperwork packrat, so we have quotes from all kinds of different projects. Let me know if you're getting a new countertop - got lotsa info on that too.
Thank goodness countertops are in place!

Quote:
3-day Blinds just didn't impress me overall... the service was okay, I guess. Their selection wasn't that great. The faux-wood they had was really cheesy and their wood selections almost looked like the other places fake wood. It wasn't anything in particular that turned me off, just an overall impression.
Good to know at least who's out.

Quote:
Um, I guess our portfolio is our house. Basically, we're a cheap couple that likes to do home improvement stuff ourselves... most of the time it's turned out well. When we sold our old house, we had realtors asking who our decorator was and our neighbor brought her husband over to show him how she wanted her house.
That IS the way to do it! Way to go! There are many cheap and creative ideas as long as you have the skills to accomplish them. I always believed in joint effort to achieve it - one with ideas; one with the ability to bring them to life, but this wonderful formula didn't work out for me. Dual income doesn't hurt, either. I want the HGTV people! I've bought glue gun, stapler, and such for practice. Perhaps one day will get to them... and who knows... something might work out. I may be able to make some home art, but other things are just above and beyond me...

Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That IS the way to do it! Way to go! There are many cheap and creative ideas as long as you have the skills to accomplish them. I always believed in joint effort to achieve it - one with ideas; one with the ability to bring them to life, but this wonderful formula didn't work out for me. Dual income doesn't hurt, either. I want the HGTV people! I've bought glue gun, stapler, and such for practice. Perhaps one day will get to them... and who knows... something might work out. I may be able to make some home art, but other things are just above and beyond me...
The only thing we're lost on is what to do in our backyard. Right now it's a big yard of dirt, a few rocks and our pool. When it rains, it immediately turns into a mud pit. I totally want one of those HGTV crews to come out and hook us up. But I'm thinking that won't happen. Ho hum. Guess we'll be hauling in several tons of rock ourselves.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The only thing we're lost on is what to do in our backyard. Right now it's a big yard of dirt, a few rocks and our pool. When it rains, it immediately turns into a mud pit. I totally want one of those HGTV crews to come out and hook us up. But I'm thinking that won't happen. Ho hum. Guess we'll be hauling in several tons of rock ourselves.
Same here. Only that it's a tiny patio.

Only rocks (did you mean gravel)? Get some pretty fake grass to look at! It may get hot, but it doesn't take any maintenance and looks always pretty! Costco's is the nicest IMO. Of course, natural grass is the best, if you feel like caring for it. Maybe some pretty big pavers in between... Hey, you've got the pool! It's always nice to have some swaying palm trees by a pool. Some houses have outdoor fireplaces. It can be nice and romantic in the winter.

I know lantana grows like crazy and it's colorful. It's even considered invasive, I believe. Somebody was kidding it'll grow if you plant in in concrete.

http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1Column/2006%20Articles/David'sPlantoftheWeek/New%20Gold%20Lantana%20tamu.jpg (broken link)

http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1Column/2006%20Articles/David'sPlantoftheWeek/New%20Gold%20Lantana%20tamu.jpg (broken link)

Mexican Bird of Paradise is another one with proven record of not being picky - grows all over.

http://www.delange.org/BirdOfParadiseRed/Dsc00069.jpg

BillyBaroo is the resident landscaping expert. He'll probably chime in.

I'm sure you'll have a beautiful yard, too!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 AM

We've thought about having a patch of the fake grass - maybe like a putting green/bocce ball court type of thing. We had a hard enough time growing a nice lawn in Maryland, I'm not even gonna try here!!

I'll have to check out Costco - I've only seen the stuff they have at Lowe's.

And, BillyBaroo - feel free to chime in!!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
We've thought about having a patch of the fake grass - maybe like a putting green/bocce ball court type of thing. We had a hard enough time growing a nice lawn in Maryland, I'm not even gonna try here!!
Great idea, mdtoaz!

I'm always curious why anyone would pick a fight with Mother Nature, especially here in the desert!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:

The difference is that Lowe's installs it and you get as much as you need, whereas Costco sells it in rolls like rugs... If you need a little more that the size of this "rug," you gotta buy another roll. I talked with landscaping companies at the Home Show at TCC and got some contact info. Their grass is pretty much the same as in Lowe's and at about the same price. To me Costco's looks the best. It's very thick and soft.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:04 AM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times
Quote:

I'm thinking about installing a small putting green. I'm also going to put down some real grass. Just starting to work on some designs this weekend. I've been super busy lately and we're going to be closing on our new home in April. We thought it was going to be the end of May, but they're really moving fast now. Everything is starting to happen very fast.

I'll get some information to share with everyone and start up a new thread. I almost missed these posts tucked away in a thread about "blinds".

Landscaping is the fun part for me, so I'm looking forward to getting out and gathering some information. It's a good time to start a new "Arizona Landscaping" thread. I'm interested in putting greens, a small lawn for my backyard, outdoor fireplaces, outdoor grill and kitchen, flagstone, river rock, boulders, trees, bushes, a pergola, fountains, and horseshoe pits. My front yard will already be landscaped when we move in and the backyard will have nothing, a blank canvass. We have a corner lot, with an "L" shaped back and side yard, so a large part of the yard is actually on the east side of the house and will be well shaded from the afternoon sun.

I'm looking forward to sharing and receiving a lot of information and ideas about landscaping.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 AM

163 posts, read 824,146 times
Try the Blind Man. Also ask your neighbors. Look in the phone book. I will tell you that if you use one of those decorating or interior design places, you will end up spending twice as much for the same product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson