Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 10:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
I didn't say it wouldn't/couldn't happen; but more likely to happen in the the areas I mentioned.
So you had one last month …. how many since you have lived there ?
I have encountered six snakes in the past five years. They are NOT a completely unexpected phenomena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 07:11 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,861,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
I didn't say it wouldn't/couldn't happen; but more likely to happen in the the areas I mentioned.
So you had one last month …. how many since you have lived there ?
I know your question was for jlawrence, but I will add this. I live in the acres/foothills area and I see a couple of rattlesnakes a year on average. Here is a link to a video of one in my back yard, and we have a a 5' brick fence around the yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFlNSZzQ2g&t=3s

Old 12-26-2019, 11:53 AM

427 posts, read 630,703 times
Thank you both.
My sister has lived in Scottsdale for the past 2 yrs and has called the FD twice for snake removal, so I'm not unfamiliar with the issue. She lives next to a wash and their block wall is only 1 ft tall, topped with iron railing, covered with some kind of vine.
I just want to REDUCE the risk as best I can when I make my home choice.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:12 PM

364 posts, read 618,196 times
Good grief....

Old 12-27-2019, 08:45 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
First, the barred windows were part of the original design from the early 1960's until the late 1980's. If the house was built in that period, they had the bars. I removed mine in 2013 when I purchased the home and in my neighborhood of 130 townhomes only about 40% of the bars remain.

Second, MOST insurance companies want the bars gone. I know that my insurer asked for pictures to ensure that I removed them. For the record, most of the window bars had locks that would allow egress due to a fire, but who wants to be looking for the keys in an emergency.

Third, look at the demographics of Green Valley. Most of the people are retired and in my neighborhood, more than 50% are year around. Everyone of my neighbors has three numbers on their speed dial - Pima County Sheriff, The Border Patrol, and the Snake Squad on their phones. And they never hesitate to call if there is anything remotely suspicious. Last year, a couple of guys tried to set up a drug house in one of the HOAs. The sheriff's office had 60-70 calls ... in the first week. They were getting calls until the day that the place was raided.

As for illegals running all over the place, well when they do, they generally stick on mine property. If they head into Green Valley, don't think that they are going to stick out?

In addition to the neighborhood watches, there is a very active Sheriff's auxiliary that checks houses when you are out of town. You cann them up a week before you leave and let them know when you are gone. They patrol and make sure your property is secure. How effective are they? Twice, I have returned from a trip early ... and twice they have stopped by to see that it was us at home.

When I leave town, I never worry about my house being burglarized. Some of my neighbors are armed and would probably confront a thief. I am far more concerned with pack rats getting into my car.

However, since you are taking the time to visit, I would suggest that you pose that question to others. I doubt that they will answer it otherwise.

The ONLY time that I feel unsafe in Green Valley is in the Safeway parking lot from 8 am - 4 pm and that is due to senior drivers.
Great post! Those senior drivers can sure be "challenging!" LOL I love the part about the pack rats getting into your car. BTW, is that a problem if you drive your car regularly, or only if you leave it parked for a few days or longer?

Old 12-28-2019, 01:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Great post! Those senior drivers can sure be "challenging!" LOL I love the part about the pack rats getting into your car. BTW, is that a problem if you drive your car regularly, or only if you leave it parked for a few days or longer?

I RARELY gear about pack rats attacking cars that are being used daily. Most of the time, pack rats seem to take over cars that have been left outside by snowbird owners. My wife watches over twenty homes in the Desert Hills neighborhoods and she has noted several times where she has seen evidence of pack rats. When you start to see foliage around a car parked on a driveway, you know that you might have a problem.

One year, we left for three weeks. While we saw no evidence of a pack rat, my mechanic noted that there was gnaw marks on several of the wires in my vehicle which he retaped.

When we leave for any length of time, we put a number of rodent repellents in and around the vehicle to discourage their presence. We have not had much of a problem. The biggest thing is NOT to keep ANY food in the vehicle including the console and the glove compartment.
.We did have a couple of mice in our car when parked in a rural area in Illinois for a while. It is something that extends beyond Arizona.

One other thing to note. My company kept a van for years in an inside storage unit by the Salt Lake City O\International Airport. Despite this, mice did get into the vehicle and caused significant damage to the minivan.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:03 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,861,766 times
Just to add to what jlawrence01 said. I have been keeping cars at Continental Storage for 5 plus years and I have NEVER seen any evidence of rodents in their units. There are some feral cats that hang around, and that might contribute to that fact, but it appears to me that they have their units sealed pretty tightly.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:39 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
One great pack rat deterrent for your car (as I have them here in the Verde Valley) is a device called a "Rid A Rat", that you can buy at Ace Hardware for $50, it works off your battery but the draw is very low so doesn't cause any problems. I think they're worth their weight in gold and wouldn't be without one. I know 4 people who have had pack rats in cars/trucks that were used daily, one had massive damage done by them (over $3,000 worth).

We also have lots of rattle snakes where I live (a neighbor's dog got bitten by one and died a few years back) and my dog is tiny (under 4 lbs) so I always sprinkle Snake Away (I could be off a little on the name) that you can get from Home Depot all around my property (you have to repeat it after a rain which is a drag as up here snakes seem to be out more during the monsoon season).

Old 02-08-2020, 05:31 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
adventuregirl - what kind of dog do you have? Is it perhaps a Pomeranian or a Chihuahua?

Old 02-20-2020, 08:13 AM

37 posts, read 40,750 times
I’m also planning on moving to GV. Visited Tucson, Sierra Vista, Patagonia, and Scottsdale. Coming from Vegas. Can I ask? Looking for a townhouse and will have a realtor. However want to be sure. Looking for a small 2 bedroom and I don’t want a lot of yard. What area is best. Oh and the GVR. Is it worth the cost. I’m seeing some houses have it others don’t. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson