Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 06:14 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longislandmire View Post
< snip > ...Sadly, there’s too much apparent ignorance-driven suspicion, if not downright bigotry, here to proceed further.
You're going to find that in most places in the country. Maybe Palm Springs will be a better fit.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 10:42 PM

114 posts, read 334,394 times
Temp wise , our retirement community Saddlebrooke sits just a little higher than Tucson city center. We are usually a few degrees cooler than Tucson, and Tucson is cooler than Phoenix. Just north of Tucson and Oro Valley. Have security patrol and super super low crime. Retirees from all over the US and some countries.
You can see and use a lot of links in site below.
Covers saddlebrooke but a lot of info on Tucson thru Oro Valley. So may help you.

Click on wiki section to access clickable links https://groups.io/g/Saddlebrooke-community-info

Old 09-09-2020, 09:05 PM

78 posts, read 109,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mddd View Post
Temp wise , our retirement community Saddlebrooke sits just a little higher than Tucson city center. We are usually a few degrees cooler than Tucson, and Tucson is cooler than Phoenix. Just north of Tucson and Oro Valley. Have security patrol and super super low crime. Retirees from all over the US and some countries.

You can see and use a lot of links in site below. Covers saddlebrooke but a lot of info on Tucson
thru Oro Valley. So may help you.

Click on wiki section to access clickable links https://groups.io/g/Saddlebrooke-community-info
Thanks, but assuming crime is not a problem in and around your community, what size house I could I get three years from now for ~ $350K on a sinkhole free lot and other stated concerns?

And as AZ's very much a red state, how likely do you think my politics would be scrutinized by something as innocent as my food choices (like here on this thread), or via other devices? WTF?? Talk about in-your-face neighboring; don't need that hateful crap. And some of those screwballs like to play with guns.

The other BIG fear throughout the western states is of course wildfires, which are raging everywhere, and will probably get worse every year, thanks to human-induced climate change, says the consensus of expert opinion. I thought Silver City and Grant County, NM were safe, given the much lower temps there. No so.

Sure, my stuff is heavily insured by lots of it are one-of-a-kind treasures.

Question: What's the best way to minimize wildfires hitting your house? Hire landscapers to remove "scrub brush" and other low lying vegetation within ~ a 1000 ft radius from your house and detached garage? Or would a bigger radius be much safer? Would that need to be done every year? Average yearly cost? What other steps to most AZ homeowners take to minimize damage from wildfires?

What about flooding, as ironic a problem as that is in the largely arid parts of the west? It's a shame that most homeowners in most, if not all, counties in AZ and NM don't agree to be taxed to build a flood water control and recapture system. It may well not only minimize flooding but the recaptured water could be used for firefighting and to expand the agricultural sectors of the economy. Once such systems are built the taxes are discontinued, save for staff and equipment to maintain the infrastructure.

Last edited by Longislandmire; 09-09-2020 at 09:54 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 10:18 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,632 times
How much is your power bill in Tucson during the summer?

Old 09-09-2020, 11:17 PM

78 posts, read 109,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
How much is your power bill in Tucson during the summer?
Me? No, I'm on Long Island, hoping to lean how to minimize my risks of retiring to the southwest. Between seasonal and flash floods,wildfires, sinkholes and high crime rates in some places it seems like a awfully big gamble. NO place is perfectly safe, of course, and/or it will have other drawbacks. But the prices and schools taxes (even for child free seniors like me) on the size house I want on Long Island is completely impossible. And though I've lived my whole life here and enjoy the countless conveniences, I'm also sick of the wet and the humid air and the overpopulation. I just want some reasonable BALANCE in this country of ever growing extremes.

I see you're from Denver, the only place west of NY I've ever been to. That was many, many years ago. My mom sent me there out of desperation for my asthma to CARIH. That was before the OTC asthma spray. I was there for a year or so. They ran some tests and so forth. I lived in a dorm (the newest and nicest one at least) with 23 other boys. My aunt and uncle from Colorado Springs took me to their house for Thanksgiving. I rode horses, visited the air force base and the zoo, et al.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:08 AM

322 posts, read 244,344 times
Quote:
don't need that hateful crap. And some of those screwballs like to play with guns.
The irony of your statement.

Most here are live and let live. Even the Lefties. This is still the old west in a lot of ways. You may even see a freedom loving "screwball" walking down the street with a pistol on his hip.

If this scares or offends you, this probably isn't the place for you.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:25 AM

62 posts, read 103,909 times
Thrilled to hear Arizona has ignorant screwballs, we will fit right in. Be there as soon as our house closes. We can't wait to deal with all of it. We have found Arizonans to be wonderful. It is 20+ degrees below normal in NE Okla now and anxious to be where we can be outdoors much of the year.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:58 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
I'm looking at this area myself.

Blanket statement: I am a screwball, so not to worry. I will not screw it up.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:28 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie bird dog View Post
Thrilled to hear Arizona has ignorant screwballs, we will fit right in. Be there as soon as our house closes. We can't wait to deal with all of it. We have found Arizonans to be wonderful. It is 20+ degrees below normal in NE Okla now and anxious to be where we can be outdoors much of the year.
Outdoors much of the year, as in October to April, yes. Late April to late September, adjust your schedule, and you can be outdoors part of the time depending on the activity. Since late May, I adjusted my bicycle riding schedule to start at 4:15 am and get home around 7 am, 4+ days a week. I have gotten some outdoor activity all summer long on this schedule, and it has been the hottest summer on record. This morning was the first morning since May when the outdoors temperature dropped well below 70F, and it was a relief.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:12 PM

114 posts, read 334,394 times
Our community saddlebrooke is large and is pretty diverse politically. Republican Democratic clubs. A LGBTQ club, Freethinkers club.
HOA2 restaurant offers a plant based special weekly. and Prime Rib night for big meat eaters.
Never heard of any sinkhole problems? Did not know that was a big issue?
Resale homes range from 200,000 to close to a million. Best bet to evaluate what you can get anywhere you are shopping, might be to go toZillow and look at existing listings. That way can see photos and descriptions.
Here is one about center of area to get you in right area 64186 E Idlewind Ln, Saddlebrooke, AZ 85739
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson