Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 11:46 AM

415 posts, read 1,395,108 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a pharmacy they recommend across the border? Or know of any I should avoid? Some of my prescriptions are getting to expensive here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 12:30 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
My advice, from having bought drugs in Mexico for 30 years is to go to 3 different pharmacies and compare prices. They say you need a prescription for a controlled substance, even anti-biotics, but I've managed to get thru Customs without a prescription, and yes, the guards looked at all the meds I bought and waved me thru.

If you feel you need a prescription, don't get one from a Dr. close to the border. Have a taxi take you to Clinic Similares, 9 blocks south, where you'll see a Dr. for $3.50 and your prescription will be the same. All prescriptions must be honored at the Border. Just ask the pharmacist, for whatever you're buying, if you need a prescription or not.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
Mexican drug companies do have license to make US prescription drug in Mexico to sell in Spanish speaking countries,they also have generic ,blister packed which is safer than ours where a pharmacist takes out a big bottle and start counting(possible contamination there),
But I doubt you will get it at $3.50
what are you looking for?

Old 09-05-2021, 03:27 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

If you feel you need a prescription, don't get one from a Dr. close to the border. Have a taxi take you to Clinic Similares, 9 blocks south, where you'll see a Dr. for $3.50 and your prescription will be the same. All prescriptions must be honored at the Border. Just ask the pharmacist, for whatever you're buying, if you need a prescription or not.
I haven't been across in years so I don't know what the laws are concerning this. It use to be I would go across and buy whatever without any prescription. Do the pharmacies down south now require a prescription for drugs like antibiotics and such? I use to buy whatever years ago in Tiajunna and I wouldn't have any issues with the pharmacy or at the border. But I guess everything changes over time. Have they gotten much more strict now? I'll follow whatever laws necessary. I just don't know what I don't now.

So from what I gather from your post, I should go to a doctor there, via cab, someplace a few miles into Mexico and get a prescription there. Then go to a pharmacy to get my medication. Any way to find a good doctor there?Do they go by appointment there or only walk in? And if it's walk in only, how early do I need to be there to see a doctor right away?

Old 09-05-2021, 11:13 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
A prescription is required for antibiotics, and it's been that way for several years now.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:35 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
I've been able to bring anti-biotics across the Border eversince they cracked down it without a prescription with the Custom Guards looking thru my bag for what I was bringing across, even Tramadol, which you're supposed to have a prescription for, and if I was in violation, wouldn't they have confiscated the meds, or told me I needed a prescription?

If there is an issue, you can always tell the Custom Guard that the pharmacist told you no prescription was needed, and given the little costs involved, so what! if it's confiscated.

If you feel better about buying meds without a prescrip, then go to a Dr. to get one. I recommended Clinica Similares, a walk-in clinic for locals, only because of the costs. If you're steered to a Dr. close to the Border you may end up paying $30-60 for a prescription. And, bear in mind, they also have an Int'l Red Cross Clinic, a few blocks south of the Border, which is open to both Mexicans and Americans both, where a Dr. visit shouldn't cost you more than $5-7 a visit. I visited one of them in the Tijuana area and there's usually someone there who speaks English.

If you Google Doctors in Nogales, MX, you'll even find 6 Orthopedists practising there. When I lived in Las Vegas I'd fly down to Tijuana where I saw Dr.'s there. The medical tourism hospital Angeles in Tijuana can't be beat! It's like walking into a 5-star hotel! A number of Canadians go there for hip/knees replacements.

The important thing is to feel comfortable when the crossing the Border and dealing with Custom Guards, if you feel more comfortable with the prescriptions, then do so! But you certainly don't need prescrip's for Inhalers or even Flexeril, a muscle relaxant.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:11 PM

810 posts, read 870,662 times
I would think the gas to drive down there and back, plus the fee for parking ($20/day now?), would offset any savings for a prescription.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:44 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Where do you park on the Arizona side?
I parked free in a strip mall lot for a couple of hours, but worried my car would get ticketed or vandalized.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:22 PM

810 posts, read 870,662 times
I read an article in the Nogales paper online and don't remember the details, but it was about the parking lot where we used to park - close to where you enter. It used to be inexpensive to park but the lot was sold and the price was going up.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:43 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,433 times
OT, but for prescriptions, dentistry and optometrics, I'd recommend Los Algodones (near Yuma) much more highly than Nogales. Snowbirds and seniors from all over go to Algodones, and I had a considerable amount of dental work done there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson