Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 01:46 PM

105 posts, read 131,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
You can sugar coat Tucson any way you please, but it's not very appealing. And, I paid for the "Tour of Tucson".
I tried to like the city, but I was underwhelmed by the positives and overwhelmed by the negatives. And, someone please tell me why the city leaders thought it a good idea to have a statue honoring Pancho the Mexican enemy of the state in the middle of a downtown square? I asked one of the many homeless zombies that shuffled on by, but all they could do is mumble something incoherent.

Tucson was part of Mexico until the 1850s. It is a very Mexican city culturally. It is only 1 of 2 US cities named a World Heritage Gastronomic city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 04:40 PM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeana View Post
Tucson was part of Mexico until the 1850s. It is a very Mexican city culturally. It is only 1 of 2 US cities named a World Heritage Gastronomic city.
I'm very much aware of the Gsdsden purchase. But, the fact of the matter is that Villa murdered US citizens and also slaughtered innocent Mexicans.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:49 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
As I recall it's near Saguaro National Park and the Kartchner (?) caverns, both great places. The city....um.... nothing special.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:53 PM

105 posts, read 131,025 times
Quote:
I'm very much aware of the Gsdsden purchase. But, the fact of the matter is that Villa murdered US citizens and also slaughtered innocent Mexicans.
War is hell.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeana View Post
War is hell.
Agree.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:49 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
TL/DR:
Ridiculously hot, but at least it's not Phoenix.

Beautiful area, with mountains, lush desert (palo verde trees keep it surprisingly green), and majestic saguaros.
Spectacular sunsets.
Cool winters, with occasional snowfalls.
Pleasant but too short spring and fall.
Freaking hot summers.
Very dry, always carry plenty of water with you.
Monsoon is great; drenching rain, floods, lighting and thunder...and ten minutes later, it's over. Don't drive through a running wash; your car can be swept away, and you may be fined for stupidity.

Incredible selection of Mexican restaurants, ranging from cheap local chains to upscale fine dining. You should be ashamed to go to Taco Bell, Chipotles, Chilis or other national chain while you're here.

The town itself has fairly good infrastructure. My standards are kind of low, since I've lived rural, but there are four grocery stores within ten minutes of my house! And I'm out on the edge.

Many people who live north of town seem to believe that everywhere else is full of criminals and drug addicts. That hasn't been my experience, but I wouldn't walk around South Tucson at night.

Population goes way up in the winter, when snowbirds arrive. Even the panhandlers increase in winter and leave in summer.

North-South transit is provided by I-10 on the western side of town, but otherwise it's surface streets, which makes for slow commutes.
Speedway lives up to its name.
Many drivers feel a red light is a signal to speed up, so watch out for them.

Mediocre public transit, and you'll see many roadside memorials for cyclists and pedestrians. But there is a good bike trail that loops around.

Favorite things I do with visitors:
Saguaro National Park (west) drivethrough
Visit Bisbee or Tombstone or Nogales Mexico
Have lots of Mexican food and margaritas

Things I've never done because my visitors haven't been interested:
Desert Botanical Garden
Biosphere II
Titan Missile Museum
Old Tucson

Old 07-22-2023, 10:52 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I went to U of A, so I'm quite qualified to answer.
My nephew went to UA, calls Tucson the armpit of Arizona. But he grew up and lives in Phoenix, the bowel obstruction of Arizona, so what does he know?

Old 07-22-2023, 05:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
You can sugar coat Tucson any way you please, but it's not very appealing. And, I paid for the "Tour of Tucson".
I tried to like the city, but I was underwhelmed by the positives and overwhelmed by the negatives. And, someone please tell me why the city leaders thought it a good idea to have a statue honoring Pancho the Mexican enemy of the state in the middle of a downtown square? I asked one of the many homeless zombies that shuffled on by, but all they could do is mumble something incoherent.
You expected them to know who "Pancho the Mexican enemy of the state" is? Let alone address the question coherently? They've got a lot more to worry about than a statue in the town square.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You expected them to know who "Pancho the Mexican enemy of the state" is? Let alone address the question coherently? They've got a lot more to worry about than a statue in the town square.
It was a joke?

Old 07-24-2023, 01:35 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My nephew went to UA, calls Tucson the armpit of Arizona. But he grew up and lives in Phoenix, the bowel obstruction of Arizona, so what does he know?
I moved to Scottsdale after college in Tucson. I enjoyed Scottsdale, but after a couple years (summers, really), I came to my senses and moved to San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson