Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:45 AM

38 posts, read 149,380 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm looking at a possible opportunity in Tucson on Davis Monthan AFB and was wondering where relatively close there was to live that was a decent place. I am currently over in Albuquerque, NM working on Kirtland AFB and I know that the houses are typically a little more expensive and not that nice around the base here - I live 20 miles away and drive that everyday and if I were to move there I was hoping there would be something a little closer. I'm looking to rent initially and buy a house later if I like the area/job. I'm a single guy so I dont need to be by schools or anything. NEED a garage.

I'll admit I dont know too much about the city and the layout but google maps and the internet is my friend

Thanks in advance

Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,983 times
Hi Nate,

It's funny you mention Kirtland, I just had a client PCS to DM from there (I also lived there several years ago).

There are many places to rent near the base, although the area immediately surrounding the base may also 'not be nice' to you. Take a look east of the base on Golf Links, 22nd, or Broadway, there are a lot of housing rental opportunities.

As for if and when you decide to buy, you should find yourself in a fairly decent position. Home prices are the lowest they've been in a few years and new home builders are falling over themselves with incentives (6% back to buyer for closing costs and buying down your interest rate!).

Some popular areas of new construction near the base are just south of I-10 at Wilmot (DR Horton, KB Home), north of I-10 on Craycroft (Doucette), and a bit further east (north of I-10 on Houghton).

I hope your move to Tucson goes well and that you like our town!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 AM

38 posts, read 149,380 times
Thanks Michael, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Since the last time I posted I have interviewed down there and received and accepted an offer letter so I should be down there before too long.

In my relocation package I may be visiting there for a week or so to get to know the area and search for a place to live, I will not have to buy a house in that amount of time but its the start of the search. I will be living in a hotel until I can find something when i move down there. Does anyone know a good realtor to get in contact with? From what people have said on this forum and other people I have talked to in the area it looks as if its a good time to buy. If anyone has had a good experience with an agency or individual please share

Looking forward to becoming a Tucson resident!

Nate

Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 PM

89 posts, read 385,911 times
Question Davis Monthan & Rancho Sahuarita~

Realizing your post is a bit older now, I still find it's the best fit for our situation. I've been reading (lots and lots) on Rancho Sahuarita, and think it would be a good fit for some families in the USAF working on Davis Monthan. However, having Googled it, I find it's about a 45 minute commute. Does that seem excessive for Tucson? From what I'm reading, everyone says to buy a home as close to work as possible, which makes sense; however, I don't think it's necessarily wise to buy close at the sacrifice of a safe neighborhood.

(*^3^)= Phew! All that to say, anyone out there work on DM and live in RS? If so, how's it working out for you?

Drive:24.0 mi – about 45 mins

24.0 mi – about 45 mins
1.Head south on S 6th St toward E Ironwood St0.4 mi
2.Slight left at S Yuma St0.4 mi
3.Turn left at E Picacho St1.0 mi
4.Turn right at S Wilmot Rd0.6 mi
5.S Wilmot Rd turns slightly left and becomes E Irvington Rd0.9 mi
6.Turn right at S Kolb Rd1.6 mi
7.Turn right at E Valencia Rd4.3 mi
8.Turn left at S Alvernon Way2.8 mi
9.Continue on E Hughes Access Rd3.0 mi
10.Turn left at I-19-BL/S Nogales Hwy6.2 mi
11.Turn right at E Pima Mine Rd1.1 mi
12.Turn left at Greenough Ranch Rd/S Rancho Sahuarita Blvd Continue to follow S Rancho Sahuarita Blvd
1.5 mi

Last edited by CDL-A; 07-12-2008 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Oops! Didn't mean to post the map!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:29 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,054 times
Rancho S is out of the way to DM. Corona would be closer and better for commute. 10 mins to fwy and 10 mins to base. Rita ranch is also a good choice.Vail a touch farther and more expensive.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDL-A View Post
Realizing your post is a bit older now, I still find it's the best fit for our situation. I've been reading (lots and lots) on Rancho Sahuarita, and think it would be a good fit for some families in the USAF working on Davis Monthan. However, having Googled it, I find it's about a 45 minute commute. Does that seem excessive for Tucson? From what I'm reading, everyone says to buy a home as close to work as possible, which makes sense; however, I don't think it's necessarily wise to buy close at the sacrifice of a safe neighborhood.
Well, it certainly beats me why anybody working at the base would wanna live in Rancho Sahuarita, but if a long commute is your "thing"... be my guest. Any neighborhood alongside Houghton is a better commute. Same goes for any neighborhood North of Broadway (in some parts North of 22nd is OK, too - the farther East you go) and East of Kolb. I'm talking about better neighborhoods. Obviously, there are much more convenient to the base areas provided one wants to live there.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:53 PM

529 posts, read 2,393,983 times
Quote:
... having Googled it, I find it's about a 45 minute commute. Does that seem excessive for Tucson? ...
Excessive? Maybe.. but some people go for the whole "master-planned community" lifestyle. It's probably closer to a half hour commute from RS to DM though; and from Corona de Tucson Clnconcpts is about right, I'd give it ~25 minutes.

Like sierraAZ mentioned, consider looking at something on Houghton to save on drive time (Civano, Rita Ranch, perhaps even Rancho del Lago). There are also some nice stretches of homes out in the Speedway/Harrison area. Gas isn't getting cheaper anytime soon!

When they finally finish the I-10 construction and finish putting through Barraza-Aviation Parkway (http://azstarnet.com/sn/transportation/245401 - broken link) to the freeway the commute to NW Tucson will be that much shorter, so keep that in mind. Before the freeway construction began the commute from Continental Ranch to DM was ~40min (getting off on Broadway, Aviation to Golf Links).

Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 AM

89 posts, read 385,911 times
Lightbulb Davis Monthan Living

SierraAZ
"Well, it certainly beats me why anybody working at the base would wanna live in Rancho Sahuarita, but if a long commute is your "thing"..."
Hubby will be the one working on DM, and he's completely sold on the whole RS place! Seriously, you would not believe it! I've never seen him so convinced someplace is an utopia as he is about RS!! He keeps going around telling everyone about it, always saying "It's gotta be too good to be true." He reminds me of someone who has been brainwashed by a cult or something. Anyway, I'm with you SierraAZ, it just doesn't make sense to me why he'd open himself up to a commute like that.

Michael Krotchie
"
When they finally finish the I-10 construction and finish putting through Barraza-Aviation Parkway (http://azstarnet.com/sn/transportation/245401 - broken link) to the freeway the commute to NW Tucson will be that much shorter, so keep that in mind."
That's an excellent head's-up, thanks Michael! I'll 'draw' it in on my map. I'll be there Monday and will get my first taste of the infamous Tucson driving then. Always love new experiences! *giggles*

Clnconcpts
"
Rancho S is out of the way to DM. Corona would be closer and better for commute. 10 mins to fwy and 10 mins to base. Rita ranch is also a good choice.Vail a touch farther and more expensive."
As you know, I am personally sold on Corona! I'm trying to keep an open mind and look at other areas, particularly ones my hubby expresses an interest in, but it's hard. From what I know, Corona is the place for me.

The List:
Corona (For Me!)
Rancho Sahuarita (For Hubby)
Rita Ranch
Vail
Civano
Rancho del Lago

Other Neighborhoods:
North of Broadway and East of Kolb
Speedway and Harrison
Houghton

Not sure if my Realtor is going to be impressed with or frustrated by my specifics. She'll have her hands full anyway, poor thing.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
SierraAZ
"Well, it certainly beats me why anybody working at the base would wanna live in Rancho Sahuarita, but if a long commute is your "thing"..."

Hubby will be the one working on DM, and he's completely sold on the whole RS place! Seriously, you would not believe it! I've never seen him so convinced someplace is an utopia as he is about RS!! He keeps going around telling everyone about it, always saying "It's gotta be too good to be true." He reminds me of someone who has been brainwashed by a cult or something. Anyway, I'm with you SierraAZ, it just doesn't make sense to me why he'd open himself up to a commute like that.
That's too funny! RS must be giving everybody the same vibe. Some time ago mdtoaz and I were talking just about how surreal and Stepfordy it looks. Honestly, it does look like a cult to me. Of course, participation is always optional. I think you CAN just live there. I don't quite see the attraction other than the lakes - people who miss water in Tucson enjoy that (me, too). Btw, Civano is cult-y as well.

Well, if you like it and the commute is only his, go for it.

Oh, now that I'm thinking about it, there are some decent neighborhoods alongside Golf Links, too - between Pantano Parkway and Houghton. Central town works as well - between Broadway and Speedway/Grant & Wilmot and Swan. Actually, it's very convenient (if you like old houses). Look into 85715 also.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 AM

687 posts, read 2,032,254 times
My inlaws are in love with RS as well. They love the set up, the landscaping, streets etc. My mother in law much more than my father in law. They are looking at the Del Webb sub in there (Sonora). She likes it because Del Webb has it's own amenities but they also get to be a part of more a mixed development kind of thing. We haven't found anything else like that. They really don't want to live where it's just active adult or 55+ communities. She's a teacher and would love to sub or have some hand in a school district, so the schools in there are a big plus for her.

I don't know if there's anything else to compare it too for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson