Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 05:15 PM

112 posts, read 427,912 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Tucson, but health insurance is a big concern, are there many HMO's that are Medicare imbursed? How is the health care system in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 08:50 PM

57 posts, read 292,292 times
Not certain on the Medicare thing, but there are some decent hospitals here. My wife gave birth a few weeks ago at Northwest Medical center, and we have nothing but good things to say about it. Tucson Med Center is huge, but it's a pain to park and I wasn't enthralled with their care. University Med Center is supposed to be top-notch as well, and it's a nation leader in many areas, like leukemia and cancer treatment. I'd give the health care system here a thumbs up.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:45 PM

Thank you for your response mudd. Its comforting to know that Tucson has great healthcare. At our time of life we are concerned about HMOS that are tied to medicare. Where as in Florida the benefits can change from county to county-the further north you go the worse the benefits get. Just wondering how the HMO plans are in Tucson

Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 PM

27 posts, read 175,508 times
Default Healthcare in Tucson

Well...all I can say is it needs a lot of work, actually the entire healthcare system in Tucson is the WORST.

I have never hear of a Dr keeping banking hours....no weekends no late nights or turning away a sick patient. This is NOT something that ever would have happened in NY...NEVER was my son turned away from his pediatrician office...and if he was sick, real sick on a Sunday the DR would meet us at his office.

A few weeks ago I called my son's new pediatrician office, he came home from school with a fever. They told me the Dr on duty doesn't see new patients so I would have to take him to Urgent care....HELLO.....I have never been turned down for an office visit before...what kind of Dr, who takes an oath to heal a sick person, a sick child, could turn them away and sleep at night?

I then went and made an appointment for myself...to establish myself with a Dr here. She gave me 15 minutes and walked out of the room while I was still talking to me, telling me she doesn't see new patients before 2 pm and it was 1:45 WHY WAS I THERE at that time?

So yes, I can say the healthcare system here in Tucson is horrible...this is not something I was expecting when I moved here.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrtnsMom View Post
Well...all I can say is it needs a lot of work, actually the entire healthcare system in Tucson is the WORST.

I have never hear of a Dr keeping banking hours....no weekends no late nights or turning away a sick patient. This is NOT something that ever would have happened in NY...NEVER was my son turned away from his pediatrician office...and if he was sick, real sick on a Sunday the DR would meet us at his office.

A few weeks ago I called my son's new pediatrician office, he came home from school with a fever. They told me the Dr on duty doesn't see new patients so I would have to take him to Urgent care....HELLO.....I have never been turned down for an office visit before...what kind of Dr, who takes an oath to heal a sick person, a sick child, could turn them away and sleep at night?

I then went and made an appointment for myself...to establish myself with a Dr here. She gave me 15 minutes and walked out of the room while I was still talking to me, telling me she doesn't see new patients before 2 pm and it was 1:45 WHY WAS I THERE at that time?

So yes, I can say the healthcare system here in Tucson is horrible...this is not something I was expecting when I moved here.
I can understand your anger with your pediatrician I am sure for every city and town in the nation there is ALWAYS a doctor that shouldnt have been a doctor. My main inquiry is about the MEDICARE HMOs in Tucson-are there any good plans??- are there any at all?? Here in Ocala we only have 2 HMO plans and one is already in trouble by not keeping up with their promises. Fortunately I am on the other plan which was started only a year ago and still seems to remain afloat. (I HOPE) In the meantime Chrtnsmom, I think its time to say goodbye to your pediatrician.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:46 PM

17 posts, read 42,793 times
Hello, I can see that you never got a reply. I also am interested in the Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO's) that are available in the Tucson, AZ area. These are like Group Health in Washington, Kaiser in Oregon, etc. Does anyone know?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:50 AM

7 posts, read 29,248 times
Back in the late '90's I had intergroup through Raytheon. They were excellent. I have chronic pain which required 2 medications totalling $800/month, which intergroup paid had no problem paying. I have since lived in Japan and Taiwan, both with national health care, which would pay for neither. I have to take much cheaper and inferior substitutes. There are limitations on both types, dosages and number of medications. Intergroup had no such strictures.

I cannot compare to other states though.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 15,996 times
Default Medicare in Tucson

I just joined so I'm only now looking at posts, so hopefully this is helpful to you.

About 40% of seniors in Tucson are on Medicare Advantage plans and the choices are many. HMO PPO as well as PFFS (private-fee-for-service, with no network). Almost all plans have a $0 premium and include the Part D drug plan - as well as gym membership paid for by the plan. The market is very competitive in Tucson so you have lots of choice.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 02-25-2010 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: removed email...

Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
From what I hear Tucson Medical Center has made vast improvements in the past year and is continuing to improve.

Is there a strong BCBS community there in Tucson?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM

123 posts, read 357,415 times
Red face How about SSI & SSDI?

Dearly,
Does your offer apply to me as well? Please email me.
Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: