Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Crossroads in life, starting over in Tucson, Arizona, Albuquerque expansion phase, foothills developments, cost of living, nice apartment rentals

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:51 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times

Advertisements

I'm 38 and have reached a kind of crossroads in my life. I moved to New Mexico in 2000 and have gotten kind of bored with the place. Has anyone on the board moved to Tucson for a fresh start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Why not start over in New York City?

Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I'm 38 and have reached a kind of crossroads in my life. I moved to New Mexico in 2000 and have gotten kind of bored with the place. Has anyone on the board moved to Tucson for a fresh start?
Well, a fresh start in Tucson after getting bored with Albuquerque sounds quite a bit odd to me as apparently there are many similarities between them. I haven't been to Albuquerque and I'll tell you why - drove by it once on the way back from Santa Fe and didn't even get tempted to get off the freeway... People who have been to both, though, seem to be in agreement they're quite comparable.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
I did ten years ago, catrinac . . . and have never looked back.

The only difference is I relocated from Overpriced and Overpopulated and Over-vehicled California.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:15 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, a fresh start in Tucson after getting bored with Albuquerque sounds quite a bit odd to me as apparently there are many similarities between them. I haven't been to Albuquerque and I'll tell you why - drove by it once on the way back from Santa Fe and didn't even get tempted to get off the freeway... People who have been to both, though, seem to be in agreement they're quite comparable.
I thought they'd be very similar too, but found they were not; at least not for me. I had an opportunity to take a job in ABQ some years ago, after having lived in Tucson, which I loved, so I figured I'd probably really like ABQ too. Spent a few days there and just thought it utterly lacked charm. Had an entirely different feel about it than Tucson does. Some may find it preferable there... I didn't.

I think you may well like Tucson, Catrinac. Visit for a few days and see for yourself. I suppose it makes a difference, those things you value and like to do. What kind of weather you like, what activities, etc.

I wouldn't dismiss Tucson because you think it'll be too much like ABQ. I didn't find that to be true for myself.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks azhiker. I have actually visited Tucson several times and find the place very charming. Albuquerque is going through an expansion phase, a kind of mini boom I guess, and though I've always thought it was an OK place, since I've been back I feel I'm really over it. I feel bad because so much is supposedly happening here but all of the sudden I don't feel interested.
My one problem with Tucson is that it seems to be the rich and the poor-- ie the foothills and developments and then all these poor, rundown areas. I wonder if I would feel less enchanted about living in one of the less nice areas, which is the likelihood. Can you comment on that? Overall I think Tucson is a prettier town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
I thought they'd be very similar too, but found they were not; at least not for me. I had an opportunity to take a job in ABQ some years ago, after having lived in Tucson, which I loved, so I figured I'd probably really like ABQ too. Spent a few days there and just thought it utterly lacked charm. Had an entirely different feel about it than Tucson does. Some may find it preferable there... I didn't.

I think you may well like Tucson, Catrinac. Visit for a few days and see for yourself. I suppose it makes a difference, those things you value and like to do. What kind of weather you like, what activities, etc.

I wouldn't dismiss Tucson because you think it'll be too much like ABQ. I didn't find that to be true for myself.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks azhiker. I have actually visited Tucson several times and find the place very charming. Albuquerque is going through an expansion phase, a kind of mini boom I guess, and though I've always thought it was an OK place, since I've been back I feel I'm really over it. I feel bad because so much is supposedly happening here but all of the sudden I don't feel interested.
My one problem with Tucson is that it seems to be the rich and the poor-- ie the foothills and developments and then all these poor, rundown areas. I wonder if I would feel less enchanted about living in one of the less nice areas, which is the likelihood. Can you comment on that? Overall I think Tucson is a prettier town.
I guess there is that dichotomy of rich and poor. I find there are a lot of areas that seem in the middle in Tucson too (neither poor nor hoity toity). I think you can find many reasonable areas that are nice.

I moved here from South Florida, and rent (and houses) is very expensive there compared to here. As I recall it, rent was more expensive in ABQ than Tucson too. I live in Oro Valley (suburb just NW of Tucson). I like it a lot, and live in newish apartment complex with mountains right across the street, and my rent is $600 a month cheaper than it was in Florida.

The area I live in is comparable to some of those nice apartments near the foothills in ABQ (can't remember the street name...maybe it was Tramway or something like that). Anyway, nice like that, and really reasonably priced.

According to Sperling's, where you can do a cost of living comparison (I didn't see that functionality on CityData), it's just barely more expensive in ABQ than Tucson, with housing costs being 4% more expensive in ABQ.

I don't know what your budget is like, but I'd guess you can find something nice here.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 PM

What is it do you think that is different about the feel of Tucson? I feel Tucson is different too but am not sure what it is having only visited a couple of times.

Quote:

Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
What is it do you think that is different about the feel of Tucson? I feel Tucson is different too but am not sure what it is having only visited a couple of times.
That's a very hard thing to try to put into words. I feel like *every* place has its own distinct feel.

There's a pretty laid back feel to Tucson. The closeness of the mountains contributes to the feel. I think the climate warmth contributes something too. I find people to be quite friendly here. There's a lot of new-agey things around here too. Lots of Eastern philosophy religion, tai-chi kinds of things. Lots of outdoorsy stuff.

I mean, I know you have many of the same things up in ABQ. Just saying that from the first day I rolled into Tucson, I liked the feel of the place, I love the mountains, hiking, all of it. I don't even mind the heat.

I've visited ABQ twice for a few days each time, and the mountains seem more remote there. Also, the desert around Tucson and the mountains are quite green, as deserts go. I thought there was far less greenery around ABQ. But more than that was just the different feel, and I realize I have completely failed in trying to explain what that is, but I think when you go some place and you feel it, well, you just know (whether or not you can articulate it, lol).

That's why I suggest coming for a visit and seeing if it feels right to you.

(Jeez, could I be any more vague than that?)

Sometimes you just happen upon a place that feels right to you, and for me, it's here. Only other place I ever felt that way about was Italy, and I've truly lived all over. And yet, as you'll find, there are many that visit this forum that simply can't stand the place. But I literally liked it here from day 1, and I knew no one when I arrived.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Sometimes you just happen upon a place that feels right to you, and for me, it's here. Only other place I ever felt that way about was Italy, and I've truly lived all over. And yet, as you'll find, there are many that visit this forum that simply can't stand the place. But I literally liked it here from day 1, and I knew no one when I arrived.
Wow, liking Italy AND Tucson... that's quite the odd taste, azhiker! We're talking day and night here... Whatever hits you in both places must be EXTREMELY personal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: