Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

When I bought my house (new construction) almost a year ago I know I grossly overinsured it (by about 16-17%) for the purchase price, but I liked the peace of mind. Today comes the renewal paperwork informing me that reconstruction costs have drastically gone up since their last assessment; thus, they recommend raising the replacement value even more - 3% more than the purchase price. On the other hand, I do know what the builder sells the same houses for... If they were THAT much in the hole (and Tucson is one of their BEST markets) you'd think they'd be bankrupt by now.

It's not a huge increase and I don't really care, but I fail to see the logic here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,978 times
Insurance companies need to cover their costs too. Just like the Municipalities. They want more money, we have to pay. Just like your car insurance. Your car gets older and the value decreases but it costs more for the insurance. It's because they can. I'm sure that if they could charge you for your home just like they do for your car they would.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Insurance companies need to cover their costs too. Just like the Municipalities. They want more money, we have to pay. Just like your car insurance. Your car gets older and the value decreases but it costs more for the insurance. It's because they can. I'm sure that if they could charge you for your home just like they do for your car they would.
Well, of course. My point was they claim the cost of construction has gone up significantly. It's not like they demand that I insure my house at this replacement value. That's up to me. They simply suggest that in case of a total loss I may not be adequately covered should I not follow their advice...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,978 times
Even if you follow their advice you likely will not be fully covered.

Do you have a complete list of everything in your home? It's pretty much impossible. They usually only cover up to a certian $$ amount of the contents. It's very surprising how much it will cost to replace EVERYTHING!

I have been putting together a list of all of the tools and equipment that I have been amassing over the years (car stuff) and am not yet finished. I am up to $41k. I have already talked to my insurance agent about this and will be adding a rider to cover it. Now I need to go through my home and see what I have there. Some of my automotive books are likely not replaceable. Just thinking about the simple things like CD's, old albums, (the vinyl kind....aging myself here) DVD's, video tapes, audio/video equipment, computers, appliances, cloths, etc....... I doubt most people have enough coverage.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Even if you follow their advice you likely will not be fully covered.

Do you have a complete list of everything in your home? It's pretty much impossible. They usually only cover up to a certian $$ amount of the contents. It's very surprising how much it will cost to replace EVERYTHING!

I have been putting together a list of all of the tools and equipment that I have been amassing over the years (car stuff) and am not yet finished. I am up to $41k. I have already talked to my insurance agent about this and will be adding a rider to cover it. Now I need to go through my home and see what I have there. Some of my automotive books are likely not replaceable. Just thinking about the simple things like CD's, old albums, (the vinyl kind....aging myself here) DVD's, video tapes, audio/video equipment, computers, appliances, cloths, etc....... I doubt most people have enough coverage.
I have more than enough coverage of personal property. I'd forgotten the number - it shocked me! Anyway, I was curious about the construction part. Perhaps the RE agents would have something to say.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:11 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I have more than enough coverage of personal property. I'd forgotten the number - it shocked me! Anyway, I was curious about the construction part. Perhaps the RE agents would have something to say.
Hey Sierra,

I have no idea what basis your insurance company has for raising construction costs. I know for a fact that the constructions costs have fallen ~15% in the last few years because I've been involved in a few semi-custom home builds and some commercial construction deals.

Obviously I can't guarantee anything but I'm thinking if you made some calls to a couple of general contractors they could substantiate what I've said. If you explain to them what your insurance company told you I bet you'd hear the disbelief in their voices immediately.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 35,694 times
Hey!

I actually received a notice from my homeowners insurance carrier notifying me of increases across the board as a result of elevated claims nationwide. The jist of it was.."we actually have to pay out claims on these policies ?!*^&#^ because of hurricanes etc.. we still need to make our money and we're passing the buck on to you".

I saw 20% increase from last years premium myself. My agent was basically like "sorry, it is what it is".

That combined with the $900 increase in my property taxes just has me tickled.

What can you do

Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Hey Sierra,

I have no idea what basis your insurance company has for raising construction costs. I know for a fact that the constructions costs have fallen ~15% in the last few years because I've been involved in a few semi-custom home builds and some commercial construction deals.
Thank you for confirming it, Michael. I thought it was ridiculous. As I said my house already was overinsured. I don't feel like arguing over another 5K of coverage, but they may get into the habit of doing that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalrightythenx View Post
Hey!

I actually received a notice from my homeowners insurance carrier notifying me of increases across the board as a result of elevated claims nationwide. The jist of it was.."we actually have to pay out claims on these policies ?!*^&#^ because of hurricanes etc.. we still need to make our money and we're passing the buck on to you".

I saw 20% increase from last years premium myself. My agent was basically like "sorry, it is what it is".

That combined with the $900 increase in my property taxes just has me tickled.

What can you do
It's not the premium that went up - just the "suggested" coverage because of the allegedly increased construction costs. I put a lot of effort at the time into selecting a very reputable (supposedly) insurance company... Hardly any other offers 130% dwelling coverage.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 AM

I called them and the story is actually different. I suppose the renewal letter is just boilerplate justifying the coverage going up a little every year to keep up with inflation. It's not that they think rebuilding my house will cost that much. Basically, it was my own decision/fault I overinsured it in the first place and they just increase this amount a bit every year. I can change my mind, of course, but I like to have my rear covered and overcovered when a lot of money is involved.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,208 times
Thanks for the update Sierra. Good reminder for all of us to check our policy coverages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: