Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:38 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I left Phoenix, and after 3 years of living there, I concluded that Arizona was not a good place to make a living with their low wages and high cost of living (utility bills in general), but an outstanding place to retire, and that's my plan now, after 17 years in Las Vegas, to retire in Tucson. But to work there, never! And for those working those low wage jobs in Tucson, what would you expect!!

I'm surprised no one on this thread mentions the proximity to Mexico as a big plus for living in Tucson, and for me, a big plus for my happiness in living there. If I get down in the dumps, I'll race to Nogales on a Saturday night and do some cantina hopping, and if that doesn't bring me some happiness, what will!!!

And there's also the medical tourism aspect of living closer to the Border, which I've been sampling for some time, and greatly pleased with the results! I've never cared for American Doctors to begin with!
Seen similar posts about Houston for the bolded reasons. Maybe I am just stating the obvious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Seen similar posts about Houston for the bolded reasons. Maybe I am just stating the obvious

The jobs are just not there for the younger person. Maybe that will improve in time. I hope so. However those low wage jobs in Tucson. Some of those low wage jobs are perfect, at least for the retiree that wants to supplement their retirement income. I also think there will be more and more people especially retirees, that will be using the medical dental and pharmacy options in Nogales Mexico. I know many are using them now. .

Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The jobs are just not there for the younger person. Maybe that will improve in time. I hope so. However those low wage jobs in Tucson. Some of those low wage jobs are perfect, at least for the retiree that wants to supplement their retirement income. I also think there will be more and more people especially retirees, that will be using the medical dental and pharmacy options in Nogales Mexico. I know many are using them now. .
jobs are leaving Tucson left and right, and opportunity to bring in jobs and $$ have been denied. Tucson wont have much for younger folks anytime soon. if younger folks want to come to AZ then their stop will be Phoenix.

Raytheon skipped Tucson
GCU denied
DMAFB about to dry up
wasted $$ on a useless downtown trolly
most of the sports are gone
Accenture contract over, no golf
Tour De Tucson still here, but who knows for how long, cyclists getting killed by cars
UoA tuition sky rocketing
Pima Air & Space Museum could not afford the prep and transport fee for a retired space shuttle
Old Tucson not very active any more

on the flip side, the NW side is getting new strip malls, yaaaaayyyyyyyy, more Jimmy Johns and Sports Clips, just what we need.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:45 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
but wait, Tucson is bidding on possible Lithium Ion battery plant for Tesla motors..... hah, wanna bet Tucson doesnt get those ~6500 jobs. Tucson could not keep an already present Raytheon, how does Tucson think they can win a 1,000 acre plant?

oddly, the plant requirement by Tesla said they needed something like 1,000 acres, and then one guy on news said "we have 800 acres available"..... hmmmm, sounds like this guy didnt listen to the requirement.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:03 AM

135 posts, read 515,946 times
azhiker, there's a big difference between "Won't grow as fast" and won't grow at all. Typical Tucson mentality...

Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 AM

344 posts, read 551,241 times
There's also a difference between 2014 and 2016. 2

However, nothing else has changed. :^)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson