Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,571 times

Advertisements

Help. I am a broke Senior Citizen and so is my husband. We are in our sixties--raising our adopted great grandson who came to live with us at 15 days of age. He is our joy. Our problem is that we have to live on our VA & SS income...PERIOD. I have osteoarthritis and my husband suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and severe COPD (oxygen uptake = 11%). The doctor suggested we go to AZ or NM (a warmer, dryer climate) for a couple of months to see if it will make his breathing problems a little easier. We can camp...in a tent if we must...but cannot afford much due to gas prices on the trip there and back. We live in Arkansas and if we find it will help him some, we will try to rent a mobile home or house (again--cheap). Trying for a trip in the spring (2010). Anyone with ideas or suggestions...let me know. THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenadeancu View Post
Help. I am a broke Senior Citizen and so is my husband. We are in our sixties--raising our adopted great grandson who came to live with us at 15 days of age. He is our joy. Our problem is that we have to live on our VA & SS income...PERIOD. I have osteoarthritis and my husband suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and severe COPD (oxygen uptake = 11%). The doctor suggested we go to AZ or NM (a warmer, dryer climate) for a couple of months to see if it will make his breathing problems a little easier. We can camp...in a tent if we must...but cannot afford much due to gas prices on the trip there and back. We live in Arkansas and if we find it will help him some, we will try to rent a mobile home or house (again--cheap). Trying for a trip in the spring (2010). Anyone with ideas or suggestions...let me know. THX
Well, you can probably find some cheap places outside of the city (trailers), but your grandson has to get to school somehow... Sorry for your predicament, but I can't offer you much practical help.

I'm not sure exactly what you can afford, but I do know of a great mobile home park in a wonderful location where I personally have seen single-wide trailers (old...) selling for 10-14K. However, the residents pay rent for the land, too, I believe.

Far Horizons East | Tucson's Premier Retirement Community

Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 PM

Default Thank you MUCH

Thanks Sierra...that helps. Could you provide some names, addresses and
possible phone numbers for these trailer parks? Also are there any smaller towns (poorer) within 50 miles or so of Tucson? Again I thank you...you are the only one who answered.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
What do you consider CHEAP, Serenadeancu?

There are a number of trailer parks in fairly decent neighborhoods that seem to cater to Snowbirds and Seniors. In fact, there is one on River Road just East of Oracle Road that appears to be well maintained and as convenient as possible. No clue what they charge and even if they have rentals but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Good Luck

Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Not so sure about parks catering to senior is she has the grandson with...We had issues when we got down here with our granddaughter. The park we stayed in said we could stay for a month, but when the birds came we had to buzz off...

Maybe Arizona City, Casa Grande, etc...halfway between Phoenix and Tucson.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenadeancu View Post
Thanks Sierra...that helps. Could you provide some names, addresses and
possible phone numbers for these trailer parks?
You're welcome. I already did provide the info - in the link.

Quote:
Also are there any smaller towns (poorer) within 50 miles or so of Tucson?
I'd say... I think it's best if you come down and explore the area yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Not so sure about parks catering to senior is she has the grandson with...
You're right. I didn't think of that.

Quote:
Maybe Arizona City, Casa Grande, etc...halfway between Phoenix and Tucson.
Yeah, those, or maybe around Three Points or on reservations. Come to think of it, I don't know if one can live on reservations if not a member of the tribe... There are many trailer parks around Yuma. I'd imagine some are cheap. It's hot as Hell there, though, and absolutely ugly and desolate IMO.

As I said, I can't be of much help myself. As far as general info, there's plenty online.

Arizona Retirement Mobile Home Parks and AZ MH Communities U-Z

cheap trailer parks arizona - Google Search

Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
keep in mind what you'd like for the g-grandson....if he's in school, try to research the school districts.....

I really hope the dry air helps your husband...the low humidity really is a nice condition out here, but it does get a little cold here in the depths of winter - down to 35 or 40 at night commonly, colder a few nights of the year....but it warms up nicely in the day when it's sunny (most days!)....

Phoenix is warmer and has a lot more variety of housing choices, including "poor" areas....it's much larger, so that may not be an appeal.....

good luck.....enjoy all the positives that you can find

Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,011 times
I would try Vail. There are trailer neighborhoods there. Great school district too.

Do you have full legal custody, fostering, custodial guardianship? Did the child come into your care from a child protective case? There are different types of assistance at the State level that you can look into.

Check out the following website:
KARE Center | Casey Family Programs

Old 10-01-2009, 04:33 PM

To all of you...thank you so much for your input. We have yet to decide - for sure - where we will start looking. My SON (legally) is almost 4. He was born to my grand dau in 2006...came to live with us at 15 days of age. At 5 months, we assumed (thru court) legal guardianship..and in Jan 09 became his legal parents. His "birth" mother has never shown an interest in him...just the two OOWL girls she has had since then. He deserved better. Altho we can't provide much in financial ways, we are starting homeschooling and Love him beyond belief. We also try to teach him practical things.. ..he helps tend a goat and a few chickens, and thanks to Daddy...can jack up a car*, use a chain hoist to pull a motor* and put lug nuts on faster that my husband. * Only supervised and with Daddy helping and guarding.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 PM

65 posts, read 222,801 times
I second the vote for Vail. The schools are great, should you decide to go that route in the future, and it's a nice area. I know there are a lot of trailers/manufactured homes sitting on larger plots of land and the rent is very reasonable. I wish you all the luck in the world with your venture--you're doing a wonderful thing, raising your great-grandson. Message me on here if you have any questions or need any help getting information. I'd be happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson