Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,455 times

Advertisements

Hi! My quesiton above is not ironical at all. I am really wondering whether this town offers something interesting to an average european. Enjoy the town, meet new people, etc.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 PM

153 posts, read 522,406 times
well you know there are also differences between a European and a European. Personally, I don't think a normal person can spend more than a year living in Tucson, unless he or she is retired, running away from the law, hiding in witness protection, or came from another country that has is much worst. I think Tucson is rather amusing in a morbid way. I had no idea that in 2010 such backwords places still exist in the USA. Just look at the recent immigration law passed...

Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
We might be able to give you a more helpful answer if we knew how old you are. Do you want to meet students, retired people, or something in between? Are you alone here or do you have a family with you?

Also, try the Website http://www.meetup.com. If you type in just your zipcode and nothing in the interest box, it brings up 10 pages of special interest groups in Tucson that welcome new members. You have to register with Meet Up, but it's a well-established and easy way to meet people in a new location with few or no commitments. It even includes groups that just get together to dine or go dancing together.

In any American city it helps to meet people if you have a pet, play a sport, enjoy some group hobby like singing, want to get active in politics, join a church, or are willing to volunteer for a nonprofit organization that needs help.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szupergipsy View Post
well you know there are also differences between a European and a European. Personally, I don't think a normal person can spend more than a year living in Tucson, unless he or she is retired, running away from the law, hiding in witness protection, or came from another country that has is much worst. I think Tucson is rather amusing in a morbid way. I had no idea that in 2010 such backwords places still exist in the USA. Just look at the recent immigration law passed...
Born and raised in Tucson.
Not retired.
Not running from the law.
Not in witness protection.
Obviously not from another country.

So.. what are you trying to imply?

Also, recent immigration law is not about Tucson, but the entire state. If you don't like it
<----- Kalifornia is this way - they have a lot of sanctuary cities to choose from.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf_19 View Post
Hi! My quesiton above is not ironical at all. I am really wondering whether this town offers something interesting to an average european.
Being of the same kind, I have to say it's pretty hard... Eventually you learn to appreciate the good aspects (because there are good aspects - namely nature and weather), but the lifestyle certainly never grew on me and I've been living here for over 13 years.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf_19 View Post
Hi! My quesiton above is not ironical at all. I am really wondering whether this town offers something interesting to an average european. Enjoy the town, meet new people, etc.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
What does the average European find interesting?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
What does the average European find interesting?
To make a very long story short - vibrant towns built around and for the convenience and socialization of humans, not cars.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To make a very long story short - vibrant towns built around and for the convenience and socialization of humans, not cars.
There is that word vibrant again. Sorry, does not compute.

Edit to add: Tucson vibrated a couple weekends ago when that earthquake hit Mexicali.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yea, that's true.. Over in Europe their are lots of coffee houses, taverns, pubs, and the like, where the community can socialize and unwind.

Over here in the states, (in the new developments) they build a section of homes, then a cars drive away they build a strip mall with all the big box stores for you to buy all your needs but somewhere in between they leave out building areas just for people to socialize.

So as a result, many people stay stuck in their homes alone unless they can find neighbors to hang out with.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
There is that word vibrant again. Sorry, does not compute.

Edit to add: Tucson vibrated a couple weekends ago when that earthquake hit Mexicali.
Well, I didn't mean "vibrant" as in the Mexican stand by the state tree Circle K...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yea, that's true.. Over in Europe their are lots of coffee houses, taverns, pubs, and the like, where the community can socialize and unwind.

Over here in the states, (in the new developments) they build a section of homes, then a cars drive away they build a strip mall with all the big box stores for you to buy all your needs but somewhere in between they leave out building areas just for people to socialize.

So as a result, many people stay stuck in their homes alone unless they can find neighbors to hang out with.
Heck, everything's being done to discourage walking and socializing. Even businesses right next to each other are separated by walls and you have to drive out of one parking lot and into the other! Do everything through drive-ins, online, machines, so it can be ensured you never meet anybody! Because, God forbid, people talking tend to share discontent, too, and that's dangerous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson