Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
DOT is responsible for highway signs, not the city of Tulsa. If you were on Riverside Drive and were trying to get to back to Stroud and up on your arrival at the ramp there were no detour signs then that is the DOT's fault. It would be illegal for the city of Tulsa to change or alter any signs put up by the DOT. In some cases where there is a detour and the traffic is routed off the DOT right of way (ROW) and through the city streets. It is still the DOT's responsibility to put signs up to direct traffic through the detour.
I was going home, not Stroud.

OK .. I stand corrected on whose responsibility it is. But OKC doesn't seem to have that problem. So perhaps somebody in the Tulsa city government should perhaps throw a major ***** at DOT.

Oh good GAWD ...... my b word turned into ***** What are we, 5?

Old 08-29-2010, 06:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Maybe you are just used to driving in smaller towns. I know a lot of people from small towns or older folks get freaked out and confused when they have drive in a city.
Thank you for your concern. And perhaps you could be a little more condescending .... I don't do well with subtleties.

I drove around Boston for 25 years. Drove in Toronto, Ottawa, Tokyo, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels, OKC. Etc etc.

Tulsa is the worst city to drive in. Not only are most of the street signs missing, this city is comprised of little pockets of subdivisions and strip malls which makes the whole place look alike. No noticeable landmarks.

Seriously.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:59 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Thank you for your concern. And perhaps you could be a little more condescending .... I don't do well with subtleties.

I drove around Boston for 25 years. Drove in Toronto, Ottawa, Tokyo, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels, OKC. Etc etc.

Tulsa is the worst city to drive in. Not only are most of the street signs missing, this city is comprised of little pockets of subdivisions and strip malls which makes the whole place look alike. No noticeable landmarks.

Seriously.
Most of the streets signs are missing? Most? So give me a percentage. Most would be at least 51%. So give us a number.

And you have lost all your creditably with me by saying Brussels and London are easier to navigate through than Tulsa. Are you serious? I have been there and done that. There is no way that any sane person could say London or Brussels are easer to get around in than Tulsa. Makes one really wonder if you really ever been outside of Oklahoma???

And no noticeable landmarks? There are noticeable and unique landmarks through out Tulsa. Tulsa has 61 skyscrapers, topping the next most skyscraper-laden city in the state, Oklahoma City has 48.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:31 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
............ Makes one really wonder if you really ever been outside of Oklahoma???
You have got to be kidding.

Annemieke is a Dutch Citizen. She has worked in international venues for over 30 years. And yes, while traffic in most larger cities are more dense than in Tulsa, most cities, both in the USA and abroad have distinctly different characteristics in neighborhoods and districts allowing a person to state definitively what part of a city one is in. Tulsa is extraordinarily homogeneous.........the difference between 71st street at Mingo and 41 street at Sheridan or 51st at Harvard or 86th in Owasso is minimal.....same architecture, same stores, same restaurants. As an appraiser I can assure you that newer neighborhoods are indistinguishable from each other. Simmons and others build the same house in Owasso that they do at Forest Ridge that they do in Glenpool that they do in Bixy, that they do in Jenks, that they do in Union, that they do in BA. So don't tell me each part of Tulsa is unique and easily identifiable based on neighborhood characteristics.

Your patronization of people you don't know is inexcusable.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
That is really hard in Tulsa because everything looks the same.
Ouch!

Apparently, you've not been in Tulsa much. Maybe on your next trip you can do a walk about downtown. For a city our size, our art deco buildings are known by many architectures from outside of this region. I suggest you walk over to the the old Adams Hotel and then over to the Mayo. You will not find such buildings elsewhere.

You might want to drive through the Riverview neighborhood, and, Brady Heights, Owen Park, Florence Park, and Brookside. So far, I haven't found anything in OKC that can come close to touching the beauty of those well built and unique houses in comfortable neighborhoods.

You live in Terlton and degrade Tulsa?

Tulsa's early city planners devised a simple way to find your way around. Main Street is the east/west dividing line. The streets west of main are alphabetical, and are named after other cities in Western America; East of Main are cities named after America's Eastern cities. Admiral Blvd. is the north/south dividing line, and those streets are many are numerical. Key east/west running streets, such as 21st, 31st, 41st, etc, are one mile apart, which makes it east to estimate your distance.

We do have multiple, major road and highway projects happening. Since you seem to have a poor sense of direction you might consider a GPS unit for your vehicle. Rather than degrading our city you might consider taking a look, or just go to the strip malls and chain restaurants in OKC.

Last edited by Ecovlke; 08-29-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'll be glad when the exit to 244 from 64/52/412 near downtown Tulsa is ready to reopen..
Roger that!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:18 AM

"I don't handle subtleties well."

I don't either.

You came on here simply to vent over your frustration over the road work, and the lack of signage. Then you went on to subtlety degrade Tulsa. It isn't our fault your sense of direction sucks, and it isn't our fault if you didn't see the signage. Honey, you ain't the only old dog out there trying to maneuver the road work. Grow up.

I will say this: What I would tell you to your face I can't come close to saying on CD. It would definitely get me booted. To me, you sound like a whiner, and an immature big baby. Instead of whining about everything you don't like find something you do like. Or take you pink ass back to Cape Cod.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
"I don't handle subtleties well."

I don't either.

You came on here simply to vent over your frustration over the road work, and the lack of signage. Then you went on to subtlety degrade Tulsa. It isn't our fault your sense of direction sucks, and it isn't our fault if you didn't see the signage. Honey, you ain't the only old dog out there trying to maneuver the road work. Grow up.

I will say this: What I would tell you to your face I can't come close to saying on CD. It would definitely get me booted. To me, you sound like a whiner, and an immature big baby. Instead of whining about everything you don't like find something you do like. Or take you pink ass back to Cape Cod.
Get over yourself. I haven't found ANY street signs in the town where I live. Posts, yes, signs in the posts, no. If you don't already know where you're going and how to get there, you're SOL. A friend who lives 30 miles away came to pick me up a few weeks ago, and ended up spending half an hour trying to find a single sign in a nearby city that pointed to my town before she gave up and stopped to ask for directions.

I've lived in a wnole lot of different parts of the US, some places there was road work where there was no possibilty of a detour. But every other place had signs posted, a lot of the times there are flaggers, flashing lights, lighted arrows pointing to the way around. Doesn't seem to be that way in OK - our tax dollars not at work.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Get over yourself. I haven't found ANY street signs in the town where I live. Posts, yes, signs in the posts, no. If you don't already know where you're going and how to get there, you're SOL. A friend who lives 30 miles away came to pick me up a few weeks ago, and ended up spending half an hour trying to find a single sign in a nearby city that pointed to my town before she gave up and stopped to ask for directions.

I've lived in a wnole lot of different parts of the US, some places there was road work where there was no possibilty of a detour. But every other place had signs posted, a lot of the times there are flaggers, flashing lights, lighted arrows pointing to the way around. Doesn't seem to be that way in OK - our tax dollars not at work.
Are you referring to street signs or signs directing to the next city? I see street signs throughout Tulsa. As for signs denoting the next town, I don't know. I see them. What town are you in? The street sign issue in your town is your town municipality's issue. Take it to your Mayor or town councilmen. That isn't what we've been discussing here.

As for OK roads and highways? They suck for the most part. Picnic tables with outhouses on the highways. That's just embarrassing. We can't get from one part of the state to another without toll roads. That's ridiculous. Good old boy politics, I suppose. Oklahoma highways are some of the worst in the nation. Our bridges rank #1 in the nation as for poor condition and safety.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Had an appraisal to do in Tulsa today. Came in from Stroud, no problems. Left to go home and the ramps to the highway were closed.

You think there are any detour signs?? Of course not. The usual lack of traffic signs in Tulsa is always aggravating, but if they close down ramps etc, you think they can show us where the detour is?

Shees.
Where were you trying to enter the highway and which highway? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa