Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 34,610 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved back to Tulsa after living in Chicago for a few years. Of course Chicago has some great restaurants of ethnic cuisine. I have been unable to find any really good Chinese or Middle Eastern (specifically Lebanese) restaurants in the Tulsa area. Am I missing them? Of course there are the typical Chinese buffet and take-away restaurants, but they are no good. I came back to Oklahoma to finish my school due to the cheaper cost of living here which seems to be the only benefit of living in Oklahoma. Oklahoma yet again disappoints me. Maybe I am just missing some good places? Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 04-24-2009 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: removed redirect link...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 04:36 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Hi Greenday,
This thread I posted awhile back should help..
Bon Appetit!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1124423-post1.html

Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
Sooo many great places to eat in Tulsa. Great small local eateries...just look in the phone book!

Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
GreenDay, I hate to break it to ya, but Tulsa isn't Chicago. Tulsa is much smaller than Chicago. And it isn't going to have the same things that you found in Chicago.

Unlike many major metropolitan areas like Chicago, Tulsa does not have a large Asian or Middle Eastern population. That is why it does not have the variety and quality of Asian and Middle Eastern food found in those major metropolitan cities. That doesn't mean that the situation is hopeless, of course. But the sooner you stop comparing Tulsa to huge, world-class metropolitan areas, the happier you will be.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:03 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Green, you sound so unhappy and disappointed with Tulsa. Is it really worth it to have to live like this every day just to get a few bucks off on your education? Seriously, you'd probably be much happier if you were in Chicago.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:16 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Try These Places

Green, what you should do is check out my two favorite places in Tulsa: Rib Crib for barbecue, and Delta Cafe for home cooking. If you've never been to those places, let me extend an invite.

If you are looking for ethnic, however, I'm afraid I won't be able to help there -- I just don't frequent it.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 PM

102 posts, read 526,805 times
I moved from Tulsa last year and I think there are a few middle eastern spots. I'll see if my H remembers the names. Not exactly what you were asking for but In the Raw is great. For Mexican, Senor Tequilas has great cheese dip and salsa.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:37 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,975 times
Best seafood in the country is Bodean's!! I have co-workers that come to Tulsa from all over the US and they can't wait to return to Bodeans and it's them that have claimed it as one of the best seafood restaurants in the US. Another outstanding seafood restaurant is White River.

Do you like Mongolian BBQ, go to the Great Wall at 71st and Sheridan! Very hot but great food! Voted one of the top steaks in the US is the Polo Grill. Also try McGills, excellent.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:04 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Bodean's, I'll have to mark that down. I'm not a huge seafood fan, but my wife and daughter are. Thanks brian!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 AM

9 posts, read 34,610 times
Default Helen of Troy

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did see a commercial on TV the other night about a restaurant in south Tulsa called "Helen of Troy" that has a Mediterranean style of cuisine. That is pretty close to Lebanese and most Middle Eastern styles of food. Has anyone tried this place?
It was mentioned that since Tulsa isn't a "major" metropolitan city that we shouldn't expect to find such things here. I don't agree with this. I have been to several other cities around the same size as Tulsa that do have them. As the recent tax vote shows, the majority of the people in the Tulsa area seem to have no forward thoughts about their city. Tulsa can be improved. There is potential here, but so many people are holding it back for their own selfish interests. I do find this sad. However, when it comes to Oklahoma, most of the people can not be reasoned with. Nothing ever changes. The general quality of Tulsa has worsened in the past 10 years. I hope things will change in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa