Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,516 times

Advertisements

I'm considering going to law school in Tulsa next year, but I'm kind of worried about not exactly 'fitting in' well, as I've been living in NYC for the past 5 years. I'm very progressive politically, and not even remotely religious. I really like the school, but images of cowboys and Bush voters and televangelists keep popping in my head. When I checked the wikipedia entry on Tulsa, it said that the town was called the "buckle" of the Bible belt. How do most people in Tulsa treat non-religious left wingers?

I know these seem like somewhat frivilous concerns when my primary purpose for moving is a legal eduction, but its been kind of nagging in the back of my brain....thanks for any insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuri99 View Post
I'm considering going to law school in Tulsa next year, but I'm kind of worried about not exactly 'fitting in' well, as I've been living in NYC for the past 5 years. I'm very progressive politically, and not even remotely religious. I really like the school, but images of cowboys and Bush voters and televangelists keep popping in my head. When I checked the wikipedia entry on Tulsa, it said that the town was called the "buckle" of the Bible belt. How do most people in Tulsa treat non-religious left wingers?

I know these seem like somewhat frivilous concerns when my primary purpose for moving is a legal eduction, but its been kind of nagging in the back of my brain....thanks for any insight
Using Wikipedia as your point of reference is the wrong thing to do when it comes to research.

Tulsa is in the middle of the country, where religion is a staple of life. Will people discriminate against you if you don't go to church? I don't, and I've lived here all my life and have yet to be called a devil-worshipper or told I would go to hell.

I'm also not real 'left wing', but I'm certainly not conservative.

The culture shock may come from a smaller city with less to do than in the Big Apple.

Tulsa is probably the more liberal of the two largest cities in the state, but Tulsa is by majority conservative. But we're not Bushies by any means. He's from Texas, and you know how Okies feel about Texas!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:16 AM

266 posts, read 971,929 times
Quote:

You're going to hate it. That simple.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:04 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:

You probably should visit the city for a few days to get a feel for the area. Other than that, I think BigOkie made some good comments.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
I'm considering going to law school in Tulsa next year, but I'm kind of worried about not exactly 'fitting in' well, as I've been living in NYC for the past 5 years.
It will take time, but you will eventually recover.

Quote:
I'm very progressive politically, and not even remotely religious.
uht ohhhhhh......are YOU ever in trouble........

Quote:
I really like the school, but images of cowboys and Bush voters and televangelists keep popping in my head.
Funny, when I was in New York, I had images of taxi drivers and drag queens popping in my head.........

Quote:
When I checked the wikipedia entry on Tulsa, it said that the town was called the "buckle" of the Bible belt.
Ummmmm........if you're going to be a lawyer, might wanna brush up on your research skills........

Quote:
How do most people in Tulsa treat non-religious left wingers?
'bout like we do evangelical right wingers.........brush frequently and don't get in our face about your particular "ism" and you will probably get to keep your teeth for a long long time.

Quote:
Hope you enjoy your stay. TU is an excellent school.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Classic post Mr. Goodpasture.. Classic.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Hi samuri99,

Welcome to the Okie forum.

Take some of this with a large grain of salt because you probably
don't understand Okie humor yet...

Quote:
I'm considering going to law school in Tulsa next year, but I'm kind of worried about not exactly 'fitting in' well,
If you're worried about "fitting in", that might be your first problem.

Quote:
as I've been living in NYC for the past 5 years. I'm very progressive politically, and not even remotely religious.
Define "progressive"...
Didn't the communists of olde call themselves progressive?

Quote:
I really like the school, but images of cowboys and Bush voters and televangelists keep popping in my head.
It's EXACTLY like that here.
In fact, they stop you at the state border to ensure that you actually OWN a Stetson.

Quote:
When I checked the wikipedia entry on Tulsa, it said that the town was called the "buckle" of the Bible belt.
Contrary to popular belief, no one has invited me to church yet...
(I'm starting to get offended...)

Quote:
How do most people in Tulsa treat non-religious left wingers?
Does the term "Redheaded stepchild" bring anything to mind?
(Quick! Get another teaspoon of salt!)

Quote:
There's NOTHING frivolous about your questions....
It's wise to research what you're getting yourself into...

Hope you can buy an authentic Stetson In NYC.
And watch out that those cowboys and evangelicals don't
try to talk you into eating "calf-fries"!

So far, I've resisted....

Old 06-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Hi samuri99,

Welcome to the Okie forum.

Take some of this with a large grain of salt because you probably
don't understand Okie humor yet...

If you're worried about "fitting in", that might be your first problem.

Define "progressive"...
Didn't the communists of olde call themselves progressive?

It's EXACTLY like that here.
In fact, they stop you at the state border to ensure that you actually OWN a Stetson.

Contrary to popular belief, no one has invited me to church yet...
(I'm starting to get offended...)

Does the term "Redheaded stepchild" bring anything to mind?
(Quick! Get another teaspoon of salt!)

There's NOTHING frivolous about your questions....
It's wise to research what you're getting yourself into...

Hope you can buy an authentic Stetson In NYC.
And watch out that those cowboys and evangelicals don't
try to talk you into eating "calf-fries"!

So far, I've resisted....
Oh CG, that is a keeper! Keep 'em coming..

Old 06-08-2008, 04:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Oh CG, that is a keeper! Keep 'em coming..
My son liked GP's post better.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:

ROFLMAO.

OK ...... I'm alright now.

I am a fairly liberal pagan. I am also an immigrant and a non-US citizen. I live in "sin", have a non-traditional female profession.

I don't dangle any of these things in anybody's face. I have never been invited to church although I have been asked what my opinions were on certain religious issues. I repectfully explained I am not a Christian and you know what? People accept me as I am.

Appears to me you are starting out with the notion that somehow Yankees are superior to the "south" -- although OK is not really the south.

Guess what .... they are not.

Don't worry about this stuff. Treat people with kindness and respect and you will be treated in kind.

And if you decide to come down for a few days to check the place out, let us know. We'll organize a barbeque ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa