Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Carrie Diaries, which is a new show is set like in the 80s, isn't it? And there was the remake (of the British show, Life on Mars that was set in the 80s, Wonder Years, Freaks & Geeks, That 70s Show.

Then there are the category of war shows, like MASH, Tour of Duty, China Beach, Hogan's Heroes, McHale's Navy, or Rat Patrol.

Another one, which like you say about Little House, I don't really consider a "classic" western is Here Come the Brides.
I was thinking more about dramas than comedies -- don't really consider them "historical" -- I'm sure they're FILLED with many inaccuracies, since they really were focusing on humor. But that's not to say that I didn't watch them! May as well throw in F Troop while we're at it! (I did watch China Beach though -- that was excellent!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The closest I can think of for being set on the East Coast, is Boardwalk Empire. Which is a great show. ... But, it's really the mini-series' where the historical shows, of real quality, come in - like Band of Brothers, Hatfields & McCoys, John Adams, The Kennedys, Roots, Into the West, etc.
*sigh* All the "good" ones were on the premium cable channels, which I don't get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Many of the American miniseries took place in the past, but as far as full scale regular TV season programs on network TV, the only ones that I can think of are American Dreams (which only went as far back as the early 60s) and Homefront which took place just after WWII, LIttle House on the Prarie (as I don't consider that a real western), The Waltons, and of course all the westerns. After Mad Men, there have been copycats of other shows taking place during the same timeframe and they were all cancelled. We currently have Vegas which takes place in the past, but its future seems uncertain. And there's a new show, The Americans, which takes place during the early 80s.

I would love to see a full scale series about Colonial times or the American Revolution, but I"m not holding my breath.

I can't believe that I forgot this drama, Twelve O'Clock High.

Still, I don't think there are any long-term dramas on American TV where they take place in an era before it was possible for any of the viewers to have been born.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Can't go wrong with Whitechapel, Luther, Sherlock or Ripper Street.

Overall, in the last 3 to 4 years. the BBC has improved all aspects of the TV productions, from the writing to the cinematography.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Probably already mentioned, but I was reminded of "State of Play" last night while watching Bill Nighy in "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" (lovely movie, BTW.)

He was terrific in that series as was David Morrissey (attention "The Walking Dead" fans), John Simm ("Life on Mars," "Doctor Who"), James McAvoy ("X-Men: First Class"), Phillip Glenister ("Life on Mars") and Kelly MacDonald ("The Decoy Bride," "Brave").

Must-see TV.

State of Play (TV mini-series 2003

Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Probably already mentioned, but I was reminded of "State of Play" last night while watching Bill Nighy in "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" (lovely movie, BTW.)

He was terrific in that series as was David Morrissey (attention "The Walking Dead" fans), John Simm ("Life on Mars," "Doctor Who"), James McAvoy ("X-Men: First Class"), Phillip Glenister ("Life on Mars") and Kelly MacDonald ("The Decoy Bride," "Brave").

Must-see TV.

State of Play (TV mini-series 2003

Is that the spy mini-series?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
State of Play is a 6 episode series about a member of parliament who is caught up in all sorts of intrigue. It was also remade into a movie starring Russell Crowe, about a congressman.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
No, more of a political thriller.

Maybe you are thinking of "The Enemy Within" with Jason Isaacs and Ben Daniels?

Also excellent.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No, more of a political thriller.

Maybe you are thinking of "The Enemy Within" with Jason Isaacs and Ben Daniels?

Also excellent.
Sorry, "The State Within."

Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
i don't know if it's been mentioned , but i loved "trial and retribution", which i got on netflix; however i know it's been on some bbc stations. it's a great blending of police work and private life of the detectives- same basic group of actors each week, many will be familiar to bbc viewers.
another detective series which is a combination of mystery and comedy is "a touch of frost". again i saw it on netflix, which has all the many seasons of this series.

catsy girl

Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Update:
Am in midst of watching a new UK miniseries, 5 (45-min.) eps., called "WPC 56" about the first female on police force back in 1956.
I'd recommend it to folks who like classy drama/mystery with historical flavor (kinda' like "The Hour", but centered on cops & crime).
imdb link:
WPC 56 (TV Series 2013

Caught up on the episodes of "Luther" that I'd missed (which others in this thread have spoken well of)-it was pretty good, too.
Looking forward to premiere of season 3-supposedly-to air in Sept. of this year.

"Scott & Bailey" are beginning their 3rd season, enjoyed the season opener-
and "Foyle's War" just aired their 8th season, which was also excellent.
Saw there's a thread here on "Shetland", a series I'm considering checking out (though haven't yet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV