Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I don't understand why, though. Despite:

If we're talking about best actors, I'd say the US has its share of best actors.

Pacino, Pesci, Streep...just to name a few.
I do not care for them. Watching a Brit or Aussie act is like watching moving art. I like it when an actor can be strong and vulnerable. I guess if I had to choose someone it would be Kevin Cosner.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Maggie is a Brit as well...her Southern accent this season has been cracking me up lol

Anyhow, I think producers placed Brits in American shows to help target English viewers.
Maggie is not doing a good job with her accent this half of the season. I think she is tired.

According to Andrew, they auditioned via tape. Everyone was given a fair shot. Most people were shocked when they learned three Brits were on the show. Edward from Twilight is a Brit. The tv show Homeland has a few Brits.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
The only problem I had with Rick being a Brit is in the first episode this season when he was really beat up and he and Carl were walking. He kept calling Carl's name over and over as he tried to keep up. He tried way too hard to say "Carl" in a southern accent and doing it over and over just made it worse. It was obvious that his accent was completely fake. Other than that, I'm ok with him.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
I'm not going to lie, I was concerned when I heard they casted Andrew Lincoln for the part as Rick. My first thought was why didn't they cast a Legit Southern actor instead of a Brit? I wanted an unknown character but a Brit? Anyhow, I must say I am overly impressed with Andrew Lincoln's performance The guy has done an outstanding job on the show and look forward to him back in charge and helping the group survive!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
The only problem I had with Rick being a Brit is in the first episode this season when he was really beat up and he and Carl were walking. He kept calling Carl's name over and over as he tried to keep up. He tried way too hard to say "Carl" in a southern accent and doing it over and over just made it worse. It was obvious that his accent was completely fake. Other than that, I'm ok with him.
He does say Carl - Funny at times. I laugh at it.. But other than that - I do not have issues with his accent...

Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not care for them. Watching a Brit or Aussie act is like watching moving art. I like it when an actor can be strong and vulnerable. I guess if I had to choose someone it would be Kevin Cosner.
To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I'm not going to lie, I was concerned when I heard they casted Andrew Lincoln for the part as Rick. My first thought was why didn't they cast a Legit Southern actor instead of a Brit? I wanted an unknown character but a Brit? Anyhow, I must say I am overly impressed with Andrew Lincoln's performance The guy has done an outstanding job on the show and look forward to him back in charge and helping the group survive!
I do like Lincoln and think that he is doing a very good job. Not to mention his ability to not only camouflage his Brit accent, but adopt a southern one as well. I just thought it was weird that they didn't have anyone else, in the whole US of A, that would be comparable.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Brits?? Aussies?? I never once thought any of the characters accents were off. In fact I never thought they were anything but who they were portraying...

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Brits?? Aussies?? I never once thought any of the characters accents were off. In fact I never thought they were anything but who they were portraying...
I hope that's sarcasm.
Bein' from tn an all.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
No, no sarcasm. Well I'm not from TN, just been here a year and spent 2 years living in another "southern accent" area. But I'm well familiar with hearing different accents from all over the U.S.

I just never knew. I don't pay attention to that kinda stuff guessing where he's from or if his accent sounds authentic. He could have had a Boston accent, that doesn't change the fact that when the outbreak happened, he was a sheriff in rural Georgia, which is the important thing.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
He does say Carl - Funny at times. I laugh at it.. But other than that - I do not have issues with his accent...
I hated his accent at first. That opening scene with him and Shane in the squad car just sounded so fake and forced. But I got used to it.

Hearing him try to yell is funny because the men use that'd loud gruff Batman style whisper to hide their accents and they lose it when they try to yell. Hugh Laurie was the same way on House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV