Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The whole show is becoming too much for me.

I'm really torn. There are some things I really like about the series. The depiction of corruption is generally accurate. The numbing affect that the deaths and injuries caused by World War I had on society is well portrayed. The unwillingness of the Catholic Church to face women's health issues is spot on. The scenes from Ireland during Nucky's visit are a pretty good depiction of Ireland during the Civil War of the 1920's. The dress, the fashions, and the automobiles are very realistic.

Still, I don't think I can handle the violence on this show getting any worse. I'm almost ready to retch.

Were you a Sopranos fan? I think that was every bit as violent. How about Breaking Bad? Maybe not the sustained level of violence, but certainly there are some very intense moments.

HBO pushes a lot of boundaries with violence, nudity and sex. Personally, I didn't need to see Gip's flopping manhood, but hey, its a good story. I understand what you are saying. I was almost done mid season just due to a lack of interesting character arcs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Wow, Margaret's reaction was so real! I about cried. Didn't see that one coming either ... I hope they let the audience know how that went down. Did they kill the guy who was with him? Or was he the one who set it in motion???

I fast forwarded through the Gyp with the shovel scene ... didn't need to see it.
Good for you, it was really awful what Gyp did.

How ironic that Margaret ends up pregnant when she is teaching women about reproduction, birth control, and she's supposed to be a Catholic.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Nucky is too smart for that, no? From the look on his face, he realized exactly what was going on. If he buys that, then he is not the character I think he is.

Yeah, he is normally too smart, but he's been a little iffy after his concussion. Might be just iffy enough to pull the wool over his eyes. I think his suspicions will be very strongly aroused. And what the heck are her other options? Nucky will be THRILLED to have a kid.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Were you a Sopranos fan? I think that was every bit as violent. How about Breaking Bad? Maybe not the sustained level of violence, but certainly there are some very intense moments.

HBO pushes a lot of boundaries with violence, nudity and sex. Personally, I didn't need to see Gip's flopping manhood, but hey, its a good story. I understand what you are saying. I was almost done mid season just due to a lack of interesting character arcs.
They pushed it, but not to the extent that Sons of Anarchy did, which got me to stop watching it. It depends upon how it's presented, as to whether I can watch or not. I am a die hard fan of Broadway, it would take a lot for me to walk away from this series now, like something happening to that little dog. I worry about that. None of these people are innocent.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, he is normally too smart, but he's been a little iffy after his concussion. Might be just iffy enough to pull the wool over his eyes. I think his suspicions will be very strongly aroused. And what the heck are her other options? Nucky will be THRILLED to have a kid.
I have the impression they haven't slept together in quite a while, so not sure she could pull that off. Nucky knows from her reaction that she and Slater had something going on.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I have the impression they haven't slept together in quite a while, so not sure she could pull that off. Nucky knows from her reaction that she and Slater had something going on.

He may just forgive her. After all, he isn't a saint, and perhaps not as much of a hypocrite in regard to his personal life as he could be. But now we have to waiiiittt....

Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
He may just forgive her. After all, he isn't a saint, and perhaps not as much of a hypocrite in regard to his personal life as he could be. But now we have to waiiiittt....

As Nucky said...new beginnings..he may very well forgive her considering she knew about him and Billy Kent but then again, did he really forgive her about donating all that money and land?

I'm just sad to see Mr. Slater gone so early from the series. Couldn't they have gotten rid of Gillian instead?

Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:

I also think people have to understand that Boardwalk Empire isn't a kids show on Nickelodeon or the Disney channel. It is a crime-drama TV show on HBO that is suited for a mature audience. That's why it's rated TV-MA.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 11-19-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
I thought the acting by Margaret, and Nucky, was excellent when they opened the crate. I half expected it but their reactions made it all the more raw and shocking.

And yeah what do you expect from a show about violent gangsters? No violence? lol.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
Jesus reading the last few posts this show isn't for most of you. I'm sure there is a show more to your liking on Lifetime. This is a raw show with nudity and violence sounds like so of you need to turn the channel.

I'm sick of the Margaret storyline she really brings the show down, but I guess they have to throw a storyline in for the fraus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV