Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:46 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Yes, I think that was Gary Moore's show. The panelists were intelligent, and quite fond of words - especially one guy on What's My Line. He usually sat on the end. Forgot his name, but I think he founded Random House Publishing.

I wonder if the panelists drank before the show, and/or during breaks. Bet they did.

Loved Paul Lynde on Squares. Loved when he quipped, "Hey Culligan Man!!" Watch on Youtube.
I think you are thinking of Bennett Cerf. John Daley was the most famous moderator on What's My Line. There were others but I don't recall them. Gary Moore's shows were "I've Got a Secret" and "To Tell The Truth."

And Arlene Francis was also a "What's My Line" regular.

Boy I am old! I can remember these things but not what I ate for breakfast yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think you are thinking of Bennett Cerf. John Daley was the most famous moderator on What's My Line. There were others but I don't recall them. Gary Moore's shows were "I've Got a Secret" and "To Tell The Truth."

Boy I am old! I can remember these things but not what I ate for breakfast yesterday!
Yes! Bennett Cerf. Thanks. He LOVED hearing himself talk. Bet he talked himself to sleep every night.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I loved Paul Lynde too. He was soo funny. "Uncle _"? on Bewtiched? I can't believe I have forgotten. God, I can remember Uncle Tanoose(sp) from back in the 50's on Make Room for Daddy and I can't remember the 60's? Kitty Kilgallhan! Not Kitty Carlisle. Who's Kitty Carlisle? Anyone famous? She was one of the reporters, right? I can almost see the guy sitting at the end of the panel.

John Cameron Swayze (Timex) was a panelist or host of something too? Oh, must be a relative of Patrick's?? Dad maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Bennett Cerf and Arlene Francis! Yep, those were them! I'm so glad that someone can recall these "little" details, Min. Thanks.

What a wonderful way to wake up....having a good belly laugh! Marlo Thomas is in town for a book signing of her new book, "Growing Up Laughing". While she was talking about it and her childhood, she said that her Uncle Tanoose (yes, he was real) was the funny man of the family and that's how Danny got his sense of humor. Uncle Tanoose was banned from family funerals!!!! OMG that cracked me up so much, especially Marlo said it with such a deadpan face!!!! ROFLMAO

Old 11-16-2010, 08:40 AM

2,747 posts, read 465,340 times
Thanks for the new thread. Kitty Carlisle was the name of the woman on one of the panels from one of those old shows. I thought maybe the one with Garry Moore. I seem to remember the announcer saying the names together. Don't know where either of them came from. If they were actors or what. Was pretty young at the time and now am too old for the memory to work that well. I also, loved Paul Lynde. I think he died pretty young, didn't he? And what about when Alan Ludden hosted Password? and used to have his wife (Betty White) on as a guest. She's really made a huge comeback.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwdswmn View Post
Thanks for the new thread. Kitty Carlisle was the name of the woman on one of the panels from one of those old shows. I thought maybe the one with Garry Moore. I seem to remember the announcer saying the names together. Don't know where either of them came from. If they were actors or what. Was pretty young at the time and now am too old for the memory to work that well. I also, loved Paul Lynde. I think he died pretty young, didn't he? And what about when Alan Ludden hosted Password? and used to have his wife (Betty White) on as a guest. She's really made a huge comeback.

I certainly do remember Alan Ludden and Password and that woman he was married to. Used to play the home verison all the time. He died very young.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Here's another one I used to watch. Match Game. But, for the life of me I can't remember what the premise of the game was at all. Anybody remember that can help me?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:18 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwdswmn View Post
Here's another one I used to watch. Match Game. But, for the life of me I can't remember what the premise of the game was at all. Anybody remember that can help me?
The contestants had to give an answer to a fill in the blank sentence and try to figure out the most popular answer the celebrities might have given in order to match. Some questions were really simple but others were pretty difficult...I thought anyway.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Growing up in L.A. I knew a bunch of people who were game show contestants. One filled her house with furniture from "Let's Make a Deal".

My favorite was a college friend who was on the old Match Game with Gene Rayburn. She kept picking the actor George Kennedy as her match and they kept winning. She finally won $12,000. which, in the early 70's, was HUGE money.

Afterwards she got to talk with George who told her he hadn't wanted her to pick him at all. He told her that he was so nervous that he would blow it for her that he couldn't think straight. At the time George Kennedy was a pretty big star. (Oscar winner.) And a lot of people in his position wouldn't have done a game show much less talk with the contestant afterwards.

I see "Cool Hand Luke" nowadays and think, "He's a nice man!"

Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Growing up in L.A. I knew a bunch of people who were game show contestants. One filled her house with furniture from "Let's Make a Deal".

My favorite was a college friend who was on the old Match Game with Gene Rayburn. She kept picking the actor George Kennedy as her match and they kept winning. She finally won $12,000. which, in the early 70's, was HUGE money.

Afterwards she got to talk with George who told her he hadn't wanted her to pick him at all. He told her that he was so nervous that he would blow it for her that he couldn't think straight. At the time George Kennedy was a pretty big star. (Oscar winner.) And a lot of people in his position wouldn't have done a game show much less talk with the contestant afterwards.

I see "Cool Hand Luke" nowadays and think, "He's a nice man!"

What a nice story, Dew Drop. I've always liked George Kennedy and you just made my day hearing that!!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM

I agree with Tami. Kudos to Dew Drop for the good story. It's nice to think of a time when stars actually took time to speak to their fans, instead of having to be locked behind walls with security systems because of all the people stalking them. I really miss those stories about the stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV