Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times

Advertisements

I liked it even better this week, as the characters are beginning to settle in. I cracked up when she blew away the rat with the pistol in her desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
I was disappointed in this episode. It just didn't have that same special thing as last week. For one thing the guy for Er didn't repeat everything twice. There was just no spice this time.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
It was good, but it would've been better had they not chosen to go down the typical conservative bashing route.
that's was my favorite part! I watched the pilot and liked it. Added it to the DVR list.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
I took it off my DVR list after watching the pilot and seeing the promo for the rat killing method. Don't get me wrong. I really like Kathy Bates and WANTED to like this series - but - it just asks me to suspend my belief too much. First, it's a bit hard to believe that a life-long patent attorney can suddenly and successfully switch gears to become a criminal attorney. Second, I claim no knowledge of how the court system works in Ohio, but to have an attorney, in a rebuttal to a DA, while he is questioning the defendant, be able to start grand-standing on the general social ills of our society - while the judge looks on benovently is just WAY beyond belief. It just would not be permitted to happen. Closing argument maybe - but not in the middle of trial.

And with the rat ... you're going to shoot off a round in an urban area and you're not going to be arrested? Come on.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Second, I claim no knowledge of how the court system works in Ohio, but to have an attorney, in a rebuttal to a DA, while he is questioning the defendant, be able to start grand-standing on the general social ills of our society - while the judge looks on benovently is just WAY beyond belief. It just would not be permitted to happen. Closing argument maybe - but not in the middle of trial.

And with the rat ... you're going to shoot off a round in an urban area and you're not going to be arrested? Come on.

So...this doesn't apply to a bizzillion episodes of Law and Order and its 89 spinoffs or all the other legal and cop shows out there? They are all sooo realistic.

The rat thing I agree with. I rather instantly thought thats the stupidist over the top thing ever when I saw it in the previews.

Her comment about "call PETA" doesn't exactly sing liberal.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I took it off my DVR list after watching the pilot and seeing the promo for the rat killing method. Don't get me wrong. I really like Kathy Bates and WANTED to like this series - but - it just asks me to suspend my belief too much. First, it's a bit hard to believe that a life-long patent attorney can suddenly and successfully switch gears to become a criminal attorney. Second, I claim no knowledge of how the court system works in Ohio, but to have an attorney, in a rebuttal to a DA, while he is questioning the defendant, be able to start grand-standing on the general social ills of our society - while the judge looks on benovently is just WAY beyond belief. It just would not be permitted to happen. Closing argument maybe - but not in the middle of trial.

This is typical for David E Kelley shows. He loves to push the envelope and generally runs just this side of flat-out bizarre. It's one of the reasons I like prettymuch anything that comes out of his head.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
The rat thing bothered me a bit too and I am totally to suspend my disbelief because I like Kathy Bates and the show so far in general. I will continue watching it. I am a fan of David E. Kelly and his quirky stories.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 PM

255 posts, read 361,610 times
I love this show. It's supposed to be a farce, not serious drama! That's what makes it so good. It's done in the same vein as Glee. We're not supposed to take anything very seriously; it's just pure entertainment.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
I love this show. It's supposed to be a farce, not serious drama! That's what makes it so good. It's done in the same vein as Glee. We're not supposed to take anything very seriously; it's just pure entertainment.

Ah, a watcher after my own thinking.

I found the rat scene hilarious.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Considering the rampant conformity that has existed on the OTA networks for decades, it's no wonder that cable-TV is white-hot these days, and has been for decades.

David E. Kelley is flat-out brilliant, and I've also enjoyed all of his other creations, and especially 'Boston Legal'.

That scene in which Ms. Bates blew away that rat was hysterical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV