Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Some people suppress their feelings for parents all during their lives, maybe the parents are manipulative or alcoholic, but the kid cannot afford the luxury of letting his hair down and showing love for that parent. I think the shoeshine guy's death was a conduit for letting out the emotions attached to the mom.

I agree that the woman was not ugly. Some people here should see what they look like after a good toss in the hay, maybe.

Absolutely,
didnt think he was really crying over the shoe shine man.
It was a conduit.
And people might remember Linda Cardellini (Drs wife) from the old series "freaks and geeks" and as Velma in the Scooby movies. Far from ugly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Cardellini

Last edited by nanannie; 04-08-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM

92 posts, read 267,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Absolutely,
didnt think he was really crying over the shoe shine man.
It was a conduit.
And people might remember Linda Cardellini (Drs wife) from the old series "freaks and geeks" and as Velma in the Scooby movies. Far from ugly.

Linda Cardellini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh, wow! I just knew that I recognized her from somewhere. She is definitely not ugly. Quite beautiful, really, especially in that wiki photo.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
So that's where I recognize her from. I always thought Velma was hotter than Daphne, even in the cartoons

Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I enjoyed the show. I got in on it a little late, but watched it repeat afterwards, as is best to do with this show.

I don't mind flashbacks. Flashbacks are used in fiction, TV and movies. They are not that unusual. Weiner writes a lot of them, and I always enjoy them. Remember when Joan was deciding to sleep with that jerk to get a partnership? Much of that episode was told with flashbacks.

I enjoyed all of Peggy's scenes. I wonder if she will find her way into the second show. Using her call to Stan was a clever way to tie her back to the old firm. And her persistence and tact with the client was very well written and had us rooting for her all the way. (What's with the dumb account exec?)

Obviously, Don has become obsessed with death, and he was surprised what others picked up on his hotel campaign. The surprise at the end, his sleeping with the wife of his new friend, was pure Mad Men, and so in character. Don is falling, falling, falling. I fear he will come to no good end.

At the end of the scene with the hotel execs, you see Don looking down at the ad drawing, and you see the concentration and tension in his face. After season 4 (I think) early on, you saw the same thing on his face after having a discussion with the partners. He was very conscious then that he had failed the agency. Of course he bounced back later.

This is the second to the last season.

Whatever it does, it still delights, amazes and gratifies. And it is so fun to see all the retro stuff I remember!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
After the show DH and I looked at each other and said "WTF". Who was Sandy? Why did they laugh in the car when she mentioned her mother was dead? If this had been the first time I watched, I would have thought everybody was insane to be so excited about this show. I think I DID fall asleep cause I remember nothing about a funeral for Roger's mother! The whole show was disjointed, choppy and a complete puzzle. I hope they get it together soon or we will stop watching.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
After the show DH and I looked at each other and said "WTF". Who was Sandy? Why did they laugh in the car when she mentioned her mother was dead? If this had been the first time I watched, I would have thought everybody was insane to be so excited about this show. I think I DID fall asleep cause I remember nothing about a funeral for Roger's mother! The whole show was disjointed, choppy and a complete puzzle. I hope they get it together soon or we will stop watching.
I imagine that the Sandy character will reappear and she will be significant somehow to Betty. This is what MM does.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Big death theme for the first episode of this season. Lots of symbolism going on, but perhaps too much last-episode-The Sopranos-ambiguity and weirdness inserted in this season's premiere.

I was wondering what year this was. Last season ended in 1966, but Mad Men sometimes skips a couple of years between seasons. I thought it might already be New Year's 1968.

The kids stealing and living in the East Village was very real to me. That stuff did happen there. Sandy running off to California reminded me of old Sally Field television movies about teenagers running away to live the hippie life.

Sally grew up a lot. Even her voice changed. I enjoyed the whole serviceman/lighter subplot. We can only assume that Don's lighter had some sort of identification to Dick Whitman. The Roger stuff was great.

But the common theme here was death, the doorman almost dying, Don asking the doctor what it's like to be responsible for people's lives everyday and the doctor's unemotional reply, the ad with the clothes on the Hawaiian beach, Megan's soap opera character pushing another character down a flight of stairs, Don asking the doorman what it was like to be dead, Roger's comment how they sold Lucky Strikes for 25 years and they dealt with the problem of cigarettes killing people by ignoring it, and of course the death of Roger's mother and the shoeshine guy.

One possible anacronysm. The first super bowl was in 1967. We don't know if Peggy's head phones ad was for the first super bowl in '67 or maybe the second in '68. Were the ads such a big deal during the early super bowl games as they are now? After all, 1968 was the year of The Heidi game.

Nice touch that Caroline, Roger's secretary, is still his secretary. Nice comic touch of her reaction to the death of Roger's mother.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:15 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
One possible anacronysm. The first super bowl was in 1967. We don't know if Peggy's head phones ad was for the first super bowl in '67 or maybe the second in '68. Were the ads such a big deal during the early super bowl games as they are now? After all, 1968 was the year of The Heidi game.
Superbowl ads were nothing special until the 1980s, with Macintosh's 1984 ad, and the one about the lemmings. Until then, everybody watched the game and pretty much ignored the commercials (with a few exceptions).

Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 AM

443 posts, read 565,060 times
Don must have death on his mind all the time! The real Don Draper's, Anna who died without him,d Lane whose death he must feel responsible for in some way and he has to hold in the secret of why Lane killed himself!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
Don must have death on his mind all the time! The real Don Draper's, Anna who died without him,d Lane whose death he must feel responsible for in some way and he has to hold in the secret of why Lane killed himself!
And don't forget about his brother Adam who also died because of him. His prostitute mother who died giving birth to him and the fact that he saw his father die in front of him. His father was not a good man but Don was a child and did not need to see his own father die in front of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV