Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 01:29 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times

Advertisements

If the show had been kept NYC centric they *might* have had time to cover the above mentioned stories. Maybe expanding the business out to Chicago and LA takes away from that. But I don't mind, because they ARE covering plenty of national issues of the day. After all, it's not a documentary!

For other 60s nostalgia, go watch Hair! (with an AWESOME soundtrack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 01:52 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
If the show had been kept NYC centric they *might* have had time to cover the above mentioned stories. Maybe expanding the business out to Chicago and LA takes away from that. But I don't mind, because they ARE covering plenty of national issues of the day. After all, it's not a documentary!

For other 60s nostalgia, go watch Hair! (with an AWESOME soundtrack)
I agree. I think they are handling the historical significance very well. It's a backdrop,not a documentary. StarlaJane gave a good analogy about Casablanca. It's how the events impact the characters, not the other way around. I also thought that they depicted LA life very well too. CA experienced huge population growth at that time. Also enjoyed the scene in the diner. There are/were a few like that in the Valley.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:10 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I understand people's frustration with Mad Men keeping Vietnam, civil rights, women's lib, etc. in the background. Mad Men is a great show but it could have been a real classic if it had delved a little deeper into these social upheavals that affected and changed so many people at the time.
But a lot of these issues have been very front and center, even if the characters don't talk about them. Civil rights? How many black employees did Sterling Cooper have compared to SC&P? Not only does SC&P now have black secretaries, they are being increasingly important roles (as evidenced with Dawn moving into an office. Yes, partly out of necessity, but she's definitely moving up in the ranks). Womens lib? That's been a major part of the show. It was front and center in the very first season with Peggy becoming a copy writer, all the way through to now with Joan becoming a partner. Heck, we're even seeing it more sartorially with the rising hemlines in the office. These issues have been an integral part of the stories in an organic way because they were literally occurring IN the office. The war hasn't had an organic part of the stories outside of Greg and Mitchell (and the soldier in Hawaii and Stan's cousin). Because unlike civil rights and womens lib, the war didn't affect life in the office as directly.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's a backdrop,not a documentary.
Everyone has offered good commentary, but when all is said and done, this brief sentence covers it.

I was in New York for '63-68 and then moved to Colorado in late '68.
Everyone who was alive then has different memories of that time. Sally resonates with me.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:00 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
I understand people's frustration with Mad Men keeping Vietnam
Joan's husband, Don's neighbor and the guy Don met in Hawaii, news reports when the characters are watching TV

Quote:
civil rights
Dawn's promotion contrasted with Bert's reaction to seeing her in the reception area, the storylines around the King assassination and its aftermath

Quote:
women's lib
Peggy's life, contrasted with Betty's

How much deeper should it get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I'm waiting for the jokes when the characters walk into that room and they are freezing their tails off.
LOL, me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Everyone who was alive then has different memories of that time. Sally resonates with me.
I would have loved to have been as cool as Sally was. LOL

Old 05-10-2014, 05:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Everyone has offered good commentary, but when all is said and done, this brief sentence covers it.

I was in New York for '63-68 and then moved to Colorado in late '68.
I was in New York in '68 on my honeymoon. The highlight was seeing Hair and Greenwich Village.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Good points. I will add that in 1969 the draft age range was 18-26. Most of the agency staff seem older than that to me. That being said, the old Selective Service System (until 1976) provided numerous exemptions from the draft, including attending college, those with children, being a sole surviving son, causing undue hardship to dependents, and of course, conscientious objection. Those who had money or connections, those who could afford college or a good attorney, got out of the draft. Even when the lottery system started on December 1, 1969, it didn't affect the educated or privileged who could finagle their way out.

Also, then as now, the bulk of recruits came from small towns and rural areas, not big cities. Having lived in one then, I never knew a single person who died in Vietnam.
You are correct. If you had influence, then you could manage to avoid the draft. Two of our Boomer presidents have done just that.

However, not all deferments happened that way. My DH was 4F. It is/was a legit condition.

I hope we never have a peace time draft again. It was very divisive.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Very interesting episode tonight. I'll have to sleep on this one before I make any comments but the sight of Ginsberg being wheeled out of office and off to the Funny Farm disturbed me even if we did see it coming.....

Quote:
I think Michael Ginsberg is showing signs of mental illness.
I was thinking Ginsberg might end up being one of those workplace violence nutters. Thankfully it's just old fashioned paranoia. Although it's possible he might show up later to destroy The Machine.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Yes, interesting. So we saw that:

• Megan has picked up a new "interest" since she's been in LA
  • Stephanie lied to Don about going to Oakland and is still in LA
  • Betty is unhappy, unfullfilled, and speaks Italian
  • Lou has no original ideas (ripping off Beetle Bailey!) and no upper lip
  • Peggy doesn't seem so ticked at Don, and she scowled at the computer as Ginsberg was being carted to Bellevue
  • Sally is so awesome!

I figured that after Betty had lunch with her friend with the part-time job that she'd get restless about her life.

Is it me or has every episode this season been a setup for future episodes ... but we keep getting set up for more ... and set up again. I guess we'll see ...

Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
I read a couple articles that they may be setting Megan up as Sharon Tate. That might be too on-the-nose, or shark-jumping, or whatever.

I don't like any of the players from the other agency that merged with SCDP.

Sally is so cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV