Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We'll have to order a copy of the partnership agreement.
Mine came as a bonus with my order of the "Mad Men Surprise Package" offer, which turned out to be a box containing a tube of Brylcreem and a pack of Lucky Strikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Mine came as a bonus with my order of the "Mad Men Surprise Package" offer, which turned out to be a box containing a tube of Brylcreem and a pack of Lucky Strikes.

Well partner, I'll raise you 3 bottles of Aqua Velva, 2 cartons of Camels, an old Dinah Shore "See the USA in a Chevrolet" poster, and will throw in a granny quilt with the corporate logo on it. Just for kicks and giggles.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I really liked this episode! It felt like we were back to the writing of earlier seasons.

It seems, though, that our team isn't working together. They're all off, working very hard, on their own endeavors, without keeping everyone in the loop. Roger is very creative in trying to hook new accounts, but no one knows where he is. Burt, Pete, and Joan are doing what it takes to make the company public, but why did they not tell Don?? That was really weird.

Joan threw her little hissy fit at "what was it all for", well, it was for money of course. She will get her payoff when the company eventually does go public.

And Pete is still suffering from SMS -- small man syndrome. He does what others do, taking mistresses, going to "party houses", but he can't quite pull it off. I was waiting for him to crack his head open when he was falling on the stairs (oooh, I wonder if each of the characters literally "fall" at some point, like the opening credits guy?).

Poor Peggy. Doesn't know what she wants. Her eyes lit up when her boyfriend mentioned raising kids together, which led her to buying an apartment in a crummy neighborhood, and yet she's got a crush on Ted. I see heartache ahead.

Harry Hamlin? THAT was Harry Hamlin?? OMG!! *rushes to re-watch on OnDemand*

You should see Harry Hamlin in Shameless!!! You want OMG!!!

Pete is a snake. A total bottom feeder. He wants desperately to be like Don, but he never will be. And I think that Joan will realize that sooner rather than later. Joan is ticked at herself right now for W-ing herself out for a partnership, but she forgets that it was Pete who pressured her into doing it. She'll remember that it was Don who told her to not do it. I wonder how Joan will react with Peggy back in the office. Remember how Joan used to patronize her? Hmmmmm. Wonder if Joan's ex husband will die in Vietnam? That will be a big blow too ...

Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

Pete is a snake. A total bottom feeder. He wants desperately to be like Don, but he never will be. And I think that Joan will realize that sooner rather than later. Joan is ticked at herself right now for W-ing herself out for a partnership, but she forgets that it was Pete who pressured her into doing it. She'll remember that it was Don who told her to not do it. I wonder how Joan will react with Peggy back in the office. Remember how Joan used to patronize her? Hmmmmm. Wonder if Joan's ex husband will die in Vietnam? That will be a big blow too ...
OMG - I didn't even recognize Hamlin in Shameless. I loved L.A. Law. The discourse between Joan and Pete was interesting. Maybe an alliance between the two. I completely understand Joan's actions and reactions. That's the way it was in the sixties.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

Does anyone else notice,

That when Joan aspired to having the kind of power she does now,
She reveled in what power she had (as an office manager) and
wielded it ferociously (LOL!)

Now that she has some actual power as a partner, she is getting
in fights with the other partners whose natural inclination as men
living in that era, would be to undermine her. When she fights
back (which I applaud) she can be as emotional as one of her
secretaries.

Growing pains. She's still evolving, can't wait to see what happens once she pushes
the haters out of her way and ascends to true "CEO" mode!

Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
I am not arguing that and do not understand why you continue to raise that issue.

Whether or not the account was a goner in fact if not formally announced, that it is a goner is for the group to decide, not for one person to decide without consulting any others. Don was not told that the agency was fired or their contract terminated, he was insulted by the client announcing that his work would be reviewed by low level staffers. The proper behavior would have been for Don to return to the firm, relay what had happened, offer his opinion that this meant that they were being shown the door, and waited for a group decision as to their course of action. By his unilateral behavior, Don closed all possible options save the immediate severing of the relationship. No attempt to salvage anything could be made if that was what the others had wanted to try and do.

Further, if such decision could come from an individual, it would have to come from the person who had been authorized to make it, the accounts manager, not the creative materials provider.
NO, it is not for the group to decide. The CLIENT decided. The CLIENT decided. The CLIENT decided. Don didn't cut Jaguar loose. Jaguar cut SCDP loose. And they cut SCDP loose before Herb insulted Don. Because Jaguar had already decided to terminate SCDP gave Herb the license to try to humiliate Don (and Roger, because Herb clearly wanted Roger to be there). Herb set the scenario so he could p*ss on SCDP. There were NO other options available to Don. There was NOTHING to salvage. The account was already GONE. GONE BEFORE Don met Herb for dinner. GONE.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Might be time to switch to decaf.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
NO, it is not for the group to decide. The CLIENT decided. The CLIENT decided. The CLIENT decided. Don didn't cut Jaguar loose. Jaguar cut SCDP loose. And they cut SCDP loose before Herb insulted Don. Because Jaguar had already decided to terminate SCDP gave Herb the license to try to humiliate Don (and Roger, because Herb clearly wanted Roger to be there). Herb set the scenario so he could p*ss on SCDP. There were NO other options available to Don. There was NOTHING to salvage. The account was already GONE. GONE BEFORE Don met Herb for dinner. GONE.
Swell. Right after I explained that I wasn't arguing the above, you continue to argue the above. My point was that regardless of whether the above is true or not, it was not Don's prerogative to make that determination by himself. "Regardless" being the key word which I suppose keeps escaping your notice.

At this point you are arguing with yourself. And you are apparently, based on your liberal use of CAPS, shouting at yourself.

You must know that what I wrote is true, that the proper way to have gone about the matter was to report it to the group for a group decision. You have no comment on that, the actual issue before us, and instead are stuck on this one track irrelevancy train.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Swell. Right after I explained that I wasn't arguing the above, you continue to argue the above. My point was that regardless of whether the above is true or not, it was not Don's prerogative to make that determination by himself. "Regardless" being the key word which I suppose keeps escaping your notice.

At this point you are arguing with yourself. And you are apparently, based on your liberal use of CAPS, shouting at yourself.

You must know that what I wrote is true, that the proper way to have gone about the matter was to report it to the group for a group decision. You have no comment on that, the actual issue before us, and instead are stuck on this one track irrelevancy train.
Please refrain from the insults.

Here's what happened.

Jaguar is unhappy with their advertising agency. They are planning on having a meeting with them, but in the boardroom they decide why bother having a meeting. They will just find another agency.

One of the guys in the Jaguar boardroom is scum. He's a nasty slob, and worse, he knows it. He knows that the people at the advertising agency know what a scumball he is, and he's been trying to get the advertising agency fired for a long time. Now he's finally succeeded. The advertising agency will be let go.

But the nasty slob can't let it lie there. Knowing that the advertising agency is history, he picks up the phone and calls them back. He wants to have that dinner meeting, not with the fellow scuzzy accounts manager Pete, but with the hoity-toity partner Roger, and the self-righteous creative guy Don. It's time for pay-back. Nasty slob has nothing to lose by trying to humiliate Roger and Don. Because if anyone at Jaguar hears about nasty slob's bad behavior, it doesn't matter, it's with an advertising agency they've fired. Even if the agency doesn't know it yet.

Nasty slob shows up to dinner, with his vacuous wife (because no woman of substance would be with such a nasty piece of work), and is disappointed that hoity-toity Roger isn't there to humiliate. When it becomes apparent that Roger isn't going to show, nasty slob makes do with trying to humiliate Don. Don doesn't let himself be humiliated, and leaves. Vacuous wife is oblivious. Nasty slob is frustrated.

The next morning, first thing, nasty slob calls scuzzy Pete to let them know the advertising agency is fired. Pete, thinks that somehow Don has lost the account, because he doesn't know that Jaguar had made the decision BEFORE Don went to dinner with nasty slob. He makes a scene (is that what you think is the proper way to handle matters), not just because a client has fired them, but because he thinks his dream of taking the company public is dashed. Joan, who shares that dream, is similarly dismayed. But neither Pete nor Joan understand that Jaguar had decided to fire the ad agency BEFORE Don met with nasty slob. So nothing that Don said to nasty slob had ANY bearing on the decision to fire the ad agency. Don didn't make a decision unilaterally. The decision was made by Jaguar. BEFORE Don met with nasty slob.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Please refrain from the insults.

Here's what happened.

Jaguar is unhappy with their advertising agency. They are planning on having a meeting with them, but in the boardroom they decide why bother having a meeting. They will just find another agency.

One of the guys in the Jaguar boardroom is scum. He's a nasty slob, and worse, he knows it. He knows that the people at the advertising agency know what a scumball he is, and he's been trying to get the advertising agency fired for a long time. Now he's finally succeeded. The advertising agency will be let go.

But the nasty slob can't let it lie there. Knowing that the advertising agency is history, he picks up the phone and calls them back. He wants to have that dinner meeting, not with the fellow scuzzy accounts manager Pete, but with the hoity-toity partner Roger, and the self-righteous creative guy Don. It's time for pay-back. Nasty slob has nothing to lose by trying to humiliate Roger and Don. Because if anyone at Jaguar hears about nasty slob's bad behavior, it doesn't matter, it's with an advertising agency they've fired. Even if the agency doesn't know it yet.

Nasty slob shows up to dinner, with his vacuous wife (because no woman of substance would be with such a nasty piece of work), and is disappointed that hoity-toity Roger isn't there to humiliate. When it becomes apparent that Roger isn't going to show, nasty slob makes do with trying to humiliate Don. Don doesn't let himself be humiliated, and leaves. Vacuous wife is oblivious. Nasty slob is frustrated.

The next morning, first thing, nasty slob calls scuzzy Pete to let them know the advertising agency is fired. Pete, thinks that somehow Don has lost the account, because he doesn't know that Jaguar had made the decision BEFORE Don went to dinner with nasty slob. He makes a scene (is that what you think is the proper way to handle matters), not just because a client has fired them, but because he thinks his dream of taking the company public is dashed. Joan, who shares that dream, is similarly dismayed. But neither Pete nor Joan understand that Jaguar had decided to fire the ad agency BEFORE Don met with nasty slob. So nothing that Don said to nasty slob had ANY bearing on the decision to fire the ad agency. Don didn't make a decision unilaterally. The decision was made by Jaguar. BEFORE Don met with nasty slob.
Stellar analysis. And I think that nasty slob had a score to settle with JOAN, as well, because she made a very "cutting" remark about his er...um, abilities in front of two or three other men. Him firing the agency put the circumstances surrounding Joan being made partner into the spotlight again. This had to be extremely humiliating for her. At least when SCDP had Jaguar, she could reason that she helped land the account. What now? How will she keep her hard-won place at the table????

So, within the plot of this awesome series, we don't just see our hero Don Draper repeatedly being confronted with situations that confirm he has feet of clay, the weaknessess and failures of other characters in the ensemble are slowly but surely being brought to light, and I think it makes the story much more exciting. It's not just Dick Whitman (Don) "in the trenches" but the entire leadership of SCDP...and they are increasingly getting an up close and personal view of each other's serious character flaws. And somehow they are going to have to fight their way out of it together, hopefully better for the experience.

Last edited by laorbust61; 05-07-2013 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV