Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 02:17 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,284,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
She made partner. That was what she wanted. That was the deal. She had to wh*** herself out to get it, but she got it regardless of the account. She wanted partnership. Mission accomplished.
She wanted partnership in a successful firm. Not one that's struggling. Partnership won't do her much good if they have to fold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times
Quote:
She made partner. That was what she wanted. That was the deal. She had to wh*** herself out to get it, but she got it regardless of the account. She wanted partnership. Mission accomplished.
I don't think "regardless of the account" is actually the case. Bringing Jaguar in, even though she had to debase herself to do it, gave her relevance as a partner. When Don jettisoned Jaguar, she lost that relevance. She was just Joan the office manager, moving secretaries around, ordering office supplies, who happened to be a minority partner. She's been fighting to get past that, with Avon, and with the shoe account. It's accounts that get you moved to the nice executive offices. Even Lane recognized that, when he first tried to reel Jaguar in. It's accounts that the other partners respect.

When Don threw Jaguar away, it was a major blow to Joan. And it made what she did to get the account count for less than nothing, as well. If a person values themselves, then they value the sacrifices they make. If someone makes that sacrifice worthless, then it devalues the person who made that sacrifice as well.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:27 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,767,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think "regardless of the account" is actually the case. Bringing Jaguar in, even though she had to debase herself to do it, gave her relevance as a partner. When Don jettisoned Jaguar, she lost that relevance. She was just Joan the office manager, moving secretaries around, ordering office supplies, who happened to be a minority partner. She's been fighting to get past that, with Avon, and with the shoe account. It's accounts that get you moved to the nice executive offices. Even Lane recognized that, when he first tried to reel Jaguar in. It's accounts that the other partners respect.

When Don threw Jaguar away, it was a major blow to Joan. And it made what she did to get the account count for less than nothing, as well. If a person values themselves, then they value the sacrifices they make. If someone makes that sacrifice worthless, then it devalues the person who made that sacrifice as well.
and in many ways, her selling herself for partnership hasn't changed her office role much. Bert still asks her to remove the african american secretary from the front desk …

but yes, she got Avon.

Just saying, Don told her not to do it, she did it anyway. They wanted a car company, they got Jaguar, which was notoriously unreliable. Now a male prostitute is handling Chevy.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You can see the difference in the times of the day too … today, if a name partner in a firm was treated the way they are treating Don, they would demand a buyout and go to court to get it.

I really thought Bert was an azzhat for spelling it out for Don that he's in a dead man's office. Classy.
I don't think times have changed all that much in terms of named partners. Don could demand a buyout, but if he does, it could be the end of the company. And Don thinks of the firm as HIS company. He's reiterated it more than a few times during the past two episodes. HIS firm. HE started the company. He doesn't want the company to go under. He wants HIS company back.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:33 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,767,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think times have changed all that much in terms of named partners. Don could demand a buyout, but if he does, it could be the end of the company. And Don thinks of the firm as HIS company. He's reiterated it more than a few times during the past two episodes. HIS firm. HE started the company. He doesn't want the company to go under. He wants HIS company back.
But in today's world, he'd demand the buyout and then some.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
and in many ways, her selling herself for partnership hasn't changed her office role much. Bert still asks her to remove the african american secretary from the front desk …

but yes, she got Avon.

Just saying, Don told her not to do it, she did it anyway. They wanted a car company, they got Jaguar, which was notoriously unreliable. Now a male prostitute is handling Chevy.
It hadn't changed her office role much. But it's changed now. Now Bert can ask her to move a receptionist to another task, but she, in turn, asks Dawn to handle it. Bert, a major partner, passes his requests to a minor partner, who then asks a supervisor to do whatever. That's a big change.

Don told her not to do it, after the deed was done. Not "she did it anyway". She thought Don was in agreement with the other partners when she did it. She only found out afterward that he wasn't.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
But in today's world, he'd demand the buyout and then some.
Which could just as easily have happened in 1970.

Contracts are contracts. And people have been suing when contracts aren't honored for a few centuries.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,264,124 times
Quote:

but yes, she got Avon.

I thought Don showed up at her apartment after the fact. It looked like she was undressing not dressing.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:37 PM

212 posts, read 418,275 times
Upstate New York? Hippies? 1969? I was expecting Roger to get caught up in Woodstock somehow. Maybe it's only 1968 though. The old farmhouse and free spirits wandering around had me musing on my own 60s experience. It dosen't seem that long ago somehow. I'm really enjoying Mad Men but I think splitting a season in half is pretty low. Not that I won't be watching in 2015 (if I'm here that long-us old hippies are dying out).

Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 PM

5,247 posts, read 6,176,747 times
Glad to see some of you agree that the episode left a lot to be desired.

Did we ever see Don as a really silly drunk on previous episodes.............he really acted the goofy silly drunk part last night. Different kind of drunk for him.

Going to hard to ramp it up for the last three episodes unless all three will be hit right out of the ballpark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV