Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The agent scene also reflected the not-yet-reformed attitude in the late 1960's that married women supposedly did not have the capacity to emotionally function independent of their husbands. This scene may harken back to when Don was getting inside info about Betty from her psychiatrist.
Was the agent really concerned for Megan's well being? What made him call was when Megan went behind the agent's back and was approaching producers directly. What is crazy or scandalous most everywhere else, in Hollywood is just biography. But an agent getting cut out of the loop....that is when lights go on and alarms go off..and husbands get contacted to discourage this unacceptable behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:02 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Was the agent really concerned for Megan's well being?
Oh no, I wasn't implying that. I think he was categorizing her as immature or unstable, the way a lot of "gals" were thought of then. Of course he was out to preserve his 10%.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
Anybody else who can't stand Don Draper's wife no. 2 on Mad Men, Megan, played by Jessica Pare?

I know this is a fictional TV series but I just find this woman extremely unattractive (physically). Also I am not a huge fan of her character in general. But boy she sure seems hideous to me....physically. Maybe it's the contrast with Wife No. 1 (Betty) who is beautiful and I am not even that into blondes.

There are too many things to watch during most episodes but if you re watch the last episode I also thought they made Megan a lot less glamorous in a lot of close ups........some which looked like she had no makeup on. I am not being superficial but I swear they have her looking a little strung out......to me it was very noticeable

Old 05-03-2014, 01:13 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
Anybody else who can't stand Don Draper's wife no. 2 on Mad Men, Megan, played by Jessica Pare?...boy she sure seems hideous to me....physically.

If you don't know what the word hideous means, don't use it.

Yeah, her mouth..But let's not get carried away.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:57 PM

There is attractive and there is "striking." My experience has been that men make much more of this distinction than do women. They will find someone like Anne Bancroft or Glenda Jackson to be "striking" and assume that males find them very alluring. The actual male reaction is.."She is very unusual or glamorous looking, but she does not get my motor started."

I think that Jessica Pare was cast because she is very striking looking in what passed for striking in the '60's. In that sense it was excellent casting, she is quite believable to me.

The major problem is her mouth. When it is shut she looks fairly nice.

But when open....

And oh.....please...if you are someone who is mad for the looks of Anne Bancroft or Glenda Jackson..I recognize that tastes differ everywhere, there is no need to rush to defend them here, they were just examples.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:58 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
That photo must be photoshopped. The gap is NOT that pronounced.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
If you saw Jessica Pare in real life, you would be awestruck at how gorgeous she is. You would be lucky if she gave you the time of day. She is imperfect in a business that is obsessed with perfection. But she is so much better looking that anyone I know, including me. I find it amazing that people judge her about her smile. How would you like to be judged on your imperfections? She is an amazing actress. I like her character. I hope she isn't strung out, a another poster thinks. I hope her character prevails. And she is really is amazing looking.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Anyone remember Lauren Hutton. She had the same gap in her teeth.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:01 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,242 times
Most of the people raggin on Jessica Pare's teeth are women. Jealousy perhaps?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you saw Jessica Pare in real life, you would be awestruck at how gorgeous she is. You would be lucky if she gave you the time of day. She is imperfect in a business that is obsessed with perfection. But she is so much better looking that anyone I know, including me. I find it amazing that people judge her about her smile. How would you like to be judged on your imperfections? She is an amazing actress. I like her character. I hope she isn't strung out, a another poster thinks. I hope her character prevails. And she is really is amazing looking.
Show biz drama is all about ridiculously good looking people portraying supposedly normal people. Your above lecture may have an application in other settings, but this is Hollywood, it is all about looks. Looks are what the audience demands and expects. Ordinary looking people we can find anywhere.

So of course we are going to judge our tv and movie stars by their looks, they were selected on that basis. If you aren't good looking, then you had better be funny because there won't be much in the way of lead dramatic roles for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV