Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 AM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times

Advertisements

I haven't figured Linden out yet. She's definitely got commitment issues and she doesn't seem to be a great mother. My kids would have run away from home, too, if I bounced them around - from apt, to boat to motel room and then fed them food from a vending machine. Maybe it's tied to her being a foster kid and she doesn't know how to be a good mother.

As for her problem with commitment, she gives up a solid relationship to try and solve a murder case? She didn't have to stay in Seattle. She just seems more committed to her job than any real person. Then again, had she left, there'd be no show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Honestly I think people who are cops, fireman, military service - all struggle with this. They believe in what they do. Its important! You can't just walk away at the end of the day. It takes special people and yes, special families - for them to successfully serve the rest of us. We ought to be thankful that there are people who are so willing and dogged about seeing justice done. What if that were your daughter? Would you all be the parents in there screaming at the police about what a ****ty job they are doing because they haven't found the killer, rapist, whatever?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by HereOnMars
Quote:
She just seems more committed to her job than any real person. Then again, had she left, there'd be no show.
I disagree, the very 1st episode already established that Linden had problems with letting go of a previous (big) case she was unable to solve.
She felt responsible (or maybe it is more 'guilt?') for not being able to solve the previous case.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Honestly I think people who are cops, fireman, military service - all struggle with this. They believe in what they do. Its important! You can't just walk away at the end of the day. It takes special people and yes, special families - for them to successfully serve the rest of us. We ought to be thankful that there are people who are so willing and dogged about seeing justice done. What if that were your daughter? Would you all be the parents in there screaming at the police about what a ****ty job they are doing because they haven't found the killer, rapist, whatever?
Good point, Giesela. Those are, indeed, careers that take up 95% of a person's time and most are very dedicated in what they do. And yes, I am grateful there are people who are willing to give up their personal lives to help others. I still think a better parent wouldn't bounce their kid from place to place to place and feed them food from a vending machine while they're off saving the world. That's my opinion on it.

Terribly sorry my previous comment upset you. I didn't come to this thread to get into disagreements or debates with others.

I really enjoyed watching the first season and thought it would be fun to discuss our views about the new season. Seems to be a few people on this thread who like to debate another person's opinion. That's all it is really. An opinion about a television show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I disagree, the very 1st episode already established that Linden had problems with letting go of a previous (big) case she was unable to solve. She felt responsible (or maybe it is more 'guilt?') for not being able to solve the previous case.

I said she seems to be committed to the job more and you're saying she has problems letting go. Aren't we saying basically the same thing, just wording it differently?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I said she seems to be committed to the job more and you're saying she has problems letting go. Aren't we saying basically the same thing, just wording it differently?
I guess we're saying the same thing.
But I was reacting more to the bit where you said that Linden was more committed to her job than a real person.
My guess is that Linden felt as committed as if she was the victim's mother, therefore often unable to choose between her 'real' son and solving the case (read: the murdered victims).
So I find it very realistic that cops (eventually) become personally affected by the crime they see 24/7.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So I find it very realistic that cops (eventually) become personally affected by the crime they see 24/7.
... which is the primary reason the majority of officers will retire between 50 and 55. They've seen enough to last a lifetime.

Linden's character is complex, for sure. As a cop, she should try to leave emotion at the door but as a mother, she may find it difficult. No matter what the case, her parenting skills leave much to be desired, imo.

My position is that she could have left the job in the hands of other detectives who would have continued the investigation. Could be obsession with the job or, just didn't care enough about him. It's a moot subject anyway because IF she had left the force, there would be no show. Can't have a show when the star runs off to get married.

I'd like to see a true partnership develop between Linden and Holder but Holder still has issues and Linden doesn't trust him. Maybe the writers will delve into that as the season progresses. Holder is street wise and has the ability to extract information by using his junkie wiles whereas Linden is all business and does everything by the book. They do make a good team, though. They just need to develop trust in each other. That's what good partners do, or so I'm told.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Linden's character is complex, for sure. As a cop, she should leave emotion at the door but as a mother, she may find it difficult. No matter what the case, her parenting skills leave much to be desired, imo.
True, but this is what you get when you feel guilty for being unable to solve a case or become obsessed with solving a case.

Quote:
My position is that she could have left the job in the hands of other detectives who would have continued the investigation. Could be obsession with the job or, just didn't care enough about him. It's a moot subject anyway because IF she had left the force, there would be no show. Can't have a show when the star runs off to get married.
This is 1 of the reason I prefer The Killing over other crime shows; it is not only a procedurial cop show but it is also a character study of society in general (through the many red herrrings).
And the drama is not only on a micro level (Linden's parenting skills or Holden's history with drug abuse) but also at a macro level (political corruption and the affect of the press and modern media).

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Well, they cops have made several mistakes including accusing two innocent people and getting them hurt in the process.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Well, they cops have made several mistakes including accusing two innocent people and getting them hurt in the process.
They sure did, RjRobb2. In this case, the police erred, big time! There is no way a victim's family should be privy to information as to who the police are investigating. If they hadn't messed up, Stan wouldn't have abducted the teacher and then beaten him within an inch of his life. Of course, Stan had "his ways" of finding out who the police were looking at. Of course, the media played a part in all that, as well. In their relentless pursuit of "getting the scoop," they reveal information that puts others in harms way. Such is the case with the teacher. The guy was tried and convicted by the press, thus ending his teaching career and, thanks to Stan, almost his life. Stan, a hot heads who wanted to serve his own brand instead of letting the police do their job.

It's all pretty complicated when you have media hounds inside the department that leak information to the press, too. Not to divert away from the show but, we see this sort of thing in today's society. Being judged by the public before a case even goes to court.

That's why this show is so good. It's art imitating life.

Last edited by JGC97; 04-25-2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: grammatical correction

Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
That's why this show is so good. It's art imitating life.

Yes, absolutely. And, no one is glamorous, wears tight clothes & make up or runs around in high heels like so many of the cop shows. These are real people with real foibles. A mesmerizing show.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV