Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 03:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times

Advertisements

Misconceptions are part of human nature...

There was a long time BMW motorcycle shop, one of the first in the States, that the kids used to call the owner a Nazi because of his accent...

A few years later, the local paper did a story on him and how he worked with the underground and was instrumental in establishing the Berlin Airbase and later the airlift...

He received a commendation from Eisenhower... yet, out of ignorance, he was called a Nazi by those too stupid to know.

Traveling in France back in the 80's... two people from our group were mistaken for being German and they were Austrian.

Remember, trying to check into a Hotel and they came back and said there were no rooms available... I went in to ask if they could recommend a place and was told they had a room for me...

I then explained my friends were just here and were told different... the women said they do not rent to Germans and I told her they were from Austria and then everything was OK... we got accommodations and they even sent up some refreshments.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,833,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Misconceptions are part of human nature...

There was a long time BMW motorcycle shop, one of the first in the States, that the kids used to call the owner a Nazi because of his accent...

A few years later, the local paper did a story on him and how he worked with the underground and was instrumental in establishing the Berlin Airbase and later the airlift...

He received a commendation from Eisenhower... yet, out of ignorance, he was called a Nazi by those too stupid to know.

Traveling in France back in the 80's... two people from our group were mistaken for being German and they were Austrian.

Remember, trying to check into a Hotel and they came back and said there were no rooms available... I went in to ask if they could recommend a place and was told they had a room for me...

I then explained my friends were just here and were told different... the women said they do not rent to Germans and I told her they were from Austria and then everything was OK... we got accommodations and they even sent up some refreshments.
Ultrarunner, you are absolutely correct. Collette sang the song so beautifully (but also I believe with a certain amount of derision and disdain). I the choice of song was not perhaps the best, because it certainly added to the misconception that the anthem had bitter roots for Collette in her past from the Nazi era. I did some reading on the anthem, and discovered its history, which was very interesting. As someone who loves history, I should have done my reading first. It's kind of like people who still ask me if I live in a tipi because my Dad is Aboriginal. Misconceptions. Ouch.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,163,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Ultrarunner, you are absolutely correct. Collette sang the song so beautifully (but also I believe with a certain amount of derision and disdain). I the choice of song was not perhaps the best, because it certainly added to the misconception that the anthem had bitter roots for Collette in her past from the Nazi era. I did some reading on the anthem, and discovered its history, which was very interesting. As someone who loves history, I should have done my reading first. It's kind of like people who still ask me if I live in a tipi because my Dad is Aboriginal. Misconceptions. Ouch.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
I loved her choice of song based on the emotions that the character was feeling.
I'm no stranger to misconceptions! My family came here in 1952 and although I was born here in '56 my 'mother tongue' was German and we actually lived in Munich for a year when I was 5. So when we returned to the States I could not speak English in first grade. I was called a Nazi because of my accent for that first year of school. I was 6 years old and had no idea what it even meant. It was then that my Grandmother told me the story of what it was like, what Nazi Germany was.
Sorry for going off topic briefly.
Now...back to Pan Am

Last edited by IlonaG; 10-13-2011 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself.
I loved her choice of song based on the emotions that the character was feeling.
I'm no stranger to misconceptions! My family came here in 1952 and although I was born here in '56 my 'mother tongue' was German and we actually lived in Munich for a year when I was 5. So when we returned to the States I could not speak English in first grade. I was called a Nazi because of my accent for that first year of school. I was 6 years old and had no idea what it even meant. It was then that my Grandmother told me the story of what it was like, what Nazi Germany was.
Sorry for going off topic briefly.
Now...back to Pan Am
I think it is very sad that you had to go through that; we did go off topic; but we learn from each other too, and all have our own stories to tell. So, your story is like Colette's in the sense that the past became part of your life in a way that was so hurtful to you--and like Colette; as a child you were caught in a vortex.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Misconceptions always abound when minorities are involved. I remember as a Jewish kid being asked if I celebrated Thanksgiving. Or why didn't I have a Christmas tree even though I was not Christian. Or how come I wasn't aware that Easter was approaching.

My parents always told me to not take offense but use the situation to enlighten those who really wanted to know. These are the best times to explain to people so they can have the knowledge of differences amongst people.

That's why I liked Collette's part in last Sunday's series. It showed how justifiable feelings of prejudice can be but at the same time need to be conquered. She had thought she was over it but human nature took over and she crumbled. This is such a powerful message for a TV show. It was good writing to show us this character's turmoil.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Misconceptions always abound when minorities are involved. I remember as a Jewish kid being asked if I celebrated Thanksgiving. Or why didn't I have a Christmas tree even though I was not Christian. Or how come I wasn't aware that Easter was approaching.

My parents always told me to not take offense but use the situation to enlighten those who really wanted to know. These are the best times to explain to people so they can have the knowledge of differences amongst people.

That's why I liked Collette's part in last Sunday's series. It showed how justifiable feelings of prejudice can be but at the same time need to be conquered. She had thought she was over it but human nature took over and she crumbled. This is such a powerful message for a TV show. It was good writing to show us this character's turmoil.
Agree. The scene was heartbreaking. I have seen some reviewers criticize the show as "fluff", but it did open debate for some of us on this thread about something we could relate to in our own way..and remind us of our own humanity. I don't think the show is all fluff at all...I hope the show lasts.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Just a quick little off topic, I was just feeding my birds and my parrot sneezed and I, of course, said "God Bless you" and C-D is so ingrained in my brain I thought of this thread and Pan Am. I all of a sudden wondered what happened to saying (I don't know how to spell it) "Gazuntight"? (thought of you, Ilona) I was brought up saying that German word and it just came to me that it's disappeared from the American language now. Does it mean the same as "God Bless"? Maybe I will start saying it again and teach the kids at work a new word!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times
Here's a full explanation for you.

Gesundheit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Thought the episode last night was great. Anyone else??

Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Just a quick little off topic, I was just feeding my birds and my parrot sneezed and I, of course, said "God Bless you" and C-D is so ingrained in my brain I thought of this thread and Pan Am. I all of a sudden wondered what happened to saying (I don't know how to spell it) "Gazuntight"? (thought of you, Ilona) I was brought up saying that German word and it just came to me that it's disappeared from the American language now. Does it mean the same as "God Bless"? Maybe I will start saying it again and teach the kids at work a new word!
I'm with you, I still say geusentheit (or however it is spelled, too lazy to copy it from Google).

I don't care for this show but not because it is bad, I just don't like these types of shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV