Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I never interpreted the events in the show as happening "the next day."

When the husband had a patient, I'd assumed they had been in the house at least several weeks. When the wife said she was pregnant, I assumed it was maybe 2 months later. Just because one scene happens after another scene, it doesn't mean it's necessarily the next day.
Yeah, but there needs to be consistency with time so the viewer knows what is going on. Just skipping weeks at a time, especially in an episode of a TV show is a little odd. An episode usually covers a few days at best, not several months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I love haunted houses.

I hope it is a good show.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Yeah, but there needs to be consistency with time so the viewer knows what is going on. Just skipping weeks at a time, especially in an episode of a TV show is a little odd. An episode usually covers a few days at best, not several months.

Or, at least, they put on the bottom of the screen something like "2 months later...".

Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I guess maybe because I hardly ever watch fiction TV shows anymore, but mostly movies, the jump in time didn't throw me off. In movies you often skips days or weeks from one scene to the next.

Also, if in one scene they are looking at an empty house and decide to buy it, and in the next scene, the house if full of furniture and mostly decorated, you'd just guess that a few weeks have passed.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
I finally watched the pilot just a while ago and unless they make some major leaps in filling in the story properly and set a decent focus instead of jumping all over the place, I don't think I'll be staying with it.

It's Amityville Horror meets The Shining meets Beetlejuice meets Monster House.

A house that may or may not be a living being that seduces it's occupants into doing bizarre and often deadly things. Those who live are haunted by their own demons while those who die remain attached to the house in some way. Meanwhile the newest victims includes a teen daughter filled with her own angst that instantly takes to the house and all it's macabre attachments. (if they start singing Day-O or Jump in the Line......)

The short backtracking to 1978 was fine. Even the short intro to the family before they moved in was fine. Then they either needed to slow down and let us get to know the family a little more, get to know the house and introduce the new characters better or start with everything in place and then backtrack to show how it got there. It's like they tried so hard to shove so much into one show because they are afraid it won't be kept long enough to truly flush it all out correctly.

Adding in the language, nudity and sex doesn't seem to add in anything of great value for the most part. It comes across as though...hey look what they will let us do, so let's do it! The teen's foul language isn't how we know she has issues, especially since mom basically approves it. The man's nudity isn't the reason he sleep walks, and like previously mentioned isn't all that great to see. I'd rather see Dennis Franz naked butt again than see Dylan's.....lol

Anyway, nothing really new to me, nothing really creepy. I'll give it another show or two before deciding if it's worth my time.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
I'm going to say the same pretty much. My hubby and I watched. He loves weird crap (Human Centipede!!!!!!!!!!!!), but he had the same comments as I did: there were major gaps, and they did try to throw tooooooooooooooooooooo much into one episode. Whether it was to try to pull viewers in, or whether it's bad writing, or something they will explain later, it was still too much in one episode. They should have went a little slower with a little more story. We will give it a couple more episodes (DVR'd it last night), but if I'm still as lost in 3 more episodes, we'll write it off.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:59 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
My hubby and I watched. He loves weird crap (Human Centipede!!!!!!!!!!!!),

wow, divorce him now

Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I really prefer "throwing too much into one episode" over a slow-moving story with unnecessary scenes that do nothing move the story along, but just provide "background" on relationships. Give me a nice pithy hour of TV with lots of stuff that I want to go over & over in my mind a few times, and I'm happy.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Of all the plot points that could possibly bug me from the show, I thought it was weird that in last night's episode they make a point of showing us that the house is alarmed. But then when the copycat trio breaks in the house is not alarmed? And no one thinks to hit the 911 button on the keypad after the phones are stolen?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,483,693 times
Doh! I forgot this show was on last night. Does it rerun on another night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV