Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Which shows do you think might be past their shelf life this season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I think shelf life is similar to real family life. Maybe not exact 100%, but a pretty close correlation.

-For example, like Different Strokes. The appeal of the show was Arnold and Willis and the high jinks they would get into. Then they get older. Then the dad gets married. What's left? It's like a story arc that's about over.

-Similar thing with Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Shows like that don't go on forever. Or the Brady Bunch. Leave it to beaver. That's a good example of a limited shelf life.

Some shows seem kind of dated now. Saved by the bell? I use to be a fan of hey dude on nickelodeon years ago (ran in the early 90's). That show would never make it now. I have the a team (original 80's show) and knight rider on dvd. Great shows. They put a lot into a compact 4 or 5 season run.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:36 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
And then there's the "will they or won't they" of the main male/female leads finally getting together. The tension can go on for years... and sometimes the series dies after they become a couple, as on Moonlighting and The Nanny. But then other series do go on afterwards -- Ross/Rachel in Friends, and in Cheers, Diane didn't stay for the whole series after she got together with Sam.

One thing I like about most crime shows is that they focus on the case and not on the personal lives of the investigators. Yeah, sometimes the story strays there, but for the most part you never even get to see them in their own home. What does Lenny Briscoe's or apartment look like? Dunno, I don't think they ever showed it.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:29 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I can't think of any sitcom that has stayed funny after eight years.
I think it is more a matter of economics. The Simpsons and South Park manage to stay on the air for 25 and 15 years because there are fewer actors to negotiate with for salary.

I think that salary demands usually grow so high, that a show cannot be produced. They cannot raise enough revenue from advertising to cover the cost of the show. While some production companies can afford to take a chance of losing money on the front end to make it up in syndication, most companies have more of a cash flow problem.

It looks like Two and a Half Men is going to break into record breaking length. It certainly will be renewed for a 12th season, and could possibly go 15 years (I doubt it).

years
14 The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
12 My Three Sons
11 Two and a Half Men
11 Cheers
11 The Danny Thomas Show
11 Frasier
11 Married... with Children
11 The Jeffersons

It also depends on the network. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit is on a 15th series on NBC, but it would not have survived on ABC or CBS.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:08 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
And then there's the "will they or won't they" of the main male/female leads finally getting together. The tension can go on for years... and sometimes the series dies after they become a couple, as on Moonlighting and The Nanny. But then other series do go on afterwards -- Ross/Rachel in Friends, and in Cheers, Diane didn't stay for the whole series after she got together with Sam.

One thing I like about most crime shows is that they focus on the case and not on the personal lives of the investigators. Yeah, sometimes the story strays there, but for the most part you never even get to see them in their own home. What does Lenny Briscoe's or apartment look like? Dunno, I don't think they ever showed it.
"Will they/wont they" had nothing at all to do with why "Moonlighting" died. The problem is that myth (myth of "The Moonlighting Curse") keeps people from putting leads together so you end up with this years long sexual tension when in most cases people would give up. It kind of kills the reality of the story.

As far as a series shelf life....any time you have a family show with kids you have an immediate shelf life. Those kids are going to grow up ad it changes the whole dynamic of the show. In my opinion "Full House" was a perfect example.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I think it is more a matter of economics. The Simpsons and South Park manage to stay on the air for 25 and 15 years because there are fewer actors to negotiate with for salary.

I think that salary demands usually grow so high, that a show cannot be produced. They cannot raise enough revenue from advertising to cover the cost of the show. While some production companies can afford to take a chance of losing money on the front end to make it up in syndication, most companies have more of a cash flow problem.

It looks like Two and a Half Men is going to break into record breaking length. It certainly will be renewed for a 12th season, and could possibly go 15 years (I doubt it).

years
14 The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
12 My Three Sons
11 Two and a Half Men
11 Cheers
11 The Danny Thomas Show
11 Frasier
11 Married... with Children
11 The Jeffersons

It also depends on the network. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit is on a 15th series on NBC, but it would not have survived on ABC or CBS.
I think Simpsons and South Park stayed on and fairly funny for so long because you can keep the kids the same age, and the adults looking the same.

Two and a Half Men is still on, but I don't think it's still funny or even entertaining. It was a must-see for me for about 3 seasons then it turned sour. I can't even stand to hear the theme song anymore I hate it so much.

I quit watching Frasier a couple seasons before it left the air too. Once Daphne and whats his name got together it died.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
I dont get (and have never gotten) the attraction to South Park. That is one show whose shelf life I wish would expire.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
The original plot for a sitcom is good for about 2 seasons. After that, the writers are scrambling for something "new" for the actors to do. Most of them weaken quite a bit after that. Some miraculously make if for several more years.
It depends how well the story is written. Like take How I Met Your Mother for instance, at season 6 or so you are just waiting to actually meet Ted' future wife. They have only had one real major change and that is for this season (its last) where it is not going through an entire year unlike other seasons have. Instead, it just a few day period.

I think sitcoms can last 8 years if done right. Think about Boy Meets World, that lasted 7/8 seasons with no real change in plot (other than Topanga going from total hippie nerd to just street smart.)

Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It depends how well the story is written. Like take How I Met Your Mother for instance, at season 6 or so you are just waiting to actually meet Ted' future wife. They have only had one real major change and that is for this season (its last) where it is not going through an entire year unlike other seasons have. Instead, it just a few day period.

I think sitcoms can last 8 years if done right. Think about Boy Meets World, that lasted 7/8 seasons with no real change in plot (other than Topanga going from total hippie nerd to just street smart.)
I used to love HIMYM. Stopped watching when it started focusing on the red haired girl and her boyfriend/husband too much. Now I'm curious who their mother is, but not enough to tune in.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
It depends on the shows. Most of them die after a few years, because popularity of the show and the "characters" don't allow them to grow and develop. That's one thing that the cop shows have going for them. They can grow, people can die off and new characters be brought in. That doesn't work so well for comedies. And as others have said, shows with children, they usually don't handle them aging well. As a result, the shows tend to stagnate fairly quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV