Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:44 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see more music videos as well, but the reality shows must bring in the sponsors and money. I guess with all the MP3 players and such digital music is preferred over a television's 8 ohm speakers.

MTV also now has to compete with the digital cable music channels. Back when I had cable TV I must have had at least 15 different music channels. You know the ones, 70s music, 80s music, all rock, all soul, ete. ete. MTV has to do something to stand out. And music videos are EXTREMELY expensive to shoot.

Perhaps MTV can introduce a new type of channel. MTV Classic so something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Wife and I agree with the OP and most of the postings here. MTV isn't worth watching. We get old stuff off YouTube (Talking Heads "Road to Nowhere" or Blondie's "Rapture") and many other classic music vids.

Mostly, we just listen to internet radio: live365.com or 1Club.FM or Radio Paradise, etc.

TheTube had great video's, but they went off the air recently, due to "lack of viewership" or something.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:20 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Here's what I want to know:
Where is Headbanger's Ball?
Don't they still make that? Sometimes I feel like getting a fix of current metal videos and I thought the show was still on but I can never find it among the 24-hour run of reality shows on MTV now.
Maybe I need MTV2 or something?

Old 11-01-2007, 12:28 PM

52 posts, read 149,912 times
okokok whats the big idea here! Now....how dare you people say you want the original MTV back! Dont you know you can be considered racist! Do you want The trouble maker Al Sharpton after you!! You know that The original MTV in the eighties had all Rock Music that was just hard palying guitar drums base and great singing!! Now you want to take the low life rap gansta that is turning our young america to think violence is ok drug dealing prostitution lyrics off the air?? Common now you people wake up!! We don't have any say on these issue's !! We cannot control what we don't want our kids to see . We have no more rights ! Forget about it!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:22 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza216 View Post
okokok whats the big idea here! Now....how dare you people say you want the original MTV back! Dont you know you can be considered racist! Do you want The trouble maker Al Sharpton after you!! You know that The original MTV in the eighties had all Rock Music that was just hard palying guitar drums base and great singing!! Now you want to take the low life rap gansta that is turning our young america to think violence is ok drug dealing prostitution lyrics off the air?? Common now you people wake up!! We don't have any say on these issue's !! We cannot control what we don't want our kids to see . We have no more rights ! Forget about it!
They don't really air rap videos any more either. Really, they just barely air ANY videos at all anymore. It's not an exaggeration. Here's today's daily on-air schedule (as a note, this is a changing link, so I'm referencing the date of 11/2 when I post this; as the link will direct to the day of whatever day you click on it in the future):

TV Schedule | Shows, Episodes, and Music Series On TV | MTV

As you can see, the only time MTV airs videos is for three hours in the morning, from 6-9am, and who would want to watch videos that early anyways while eating breakfast? Then they have TRL for one hour where they play snippets of videos at 3:30. Meanwhile, I counted 14 hours consisting of reality TV. This is "music" television?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
I don't think MTV can ever be cool again. They've even managed to ruin MTV2 which started off pretty cool. VH1 is headed in the same direction too.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:40 AM

578 posts, read 3,063,460 times
I don't watch MTV anymore they never seem to play music its all reality crap about spoilt 16 yr old's and their lifestyles not sure what its called but its always on MTV.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:36 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
MTV is dead. All they play is shows about vapid rich teenagers, and silly 20 somethings with an inflated sense of entitlement. You know it's bad when they have to resort to having a 'celebrity' from MySpace (Tila Tequila) getting her own show.

VH-1 is no better. Degrading minstrel shows (Flavor of Love, I Love New York), and shows about irrelevant has-beens (Danny Bonaduce, Surreal Life, etc.) get tired very quickly.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
I've seen a bit of the old MTV and it was much better than that crap they're showing now, whether its the preppy/suck-a** rap/prissy music videos or the "reality" shows they constantly fill their schedule eith. I just finished watching MTV (out of force) and in the meantime, I compared the behavior and images seen on that network with my roommates and specifically, their friends. And it's just beyond pathetic how many of them emulate this s**t. Hell, they're blasting that f**king jeezy or j-wizzy or whatever the hell his name is right as I speak! And I'm the one who is treated as the outcast. To all of the elders, and even those in their late twenties and early thirties, thank God that you don't have to live in the shiftless, gullible, and lost generation that I have to live in.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 PM

302 posts, read 922,265 times
I just want to know what dating shows, Laguna Beach, and a bunch of bratty 16 year olds having lavish birthday parties has to do with Music Television. I mean, Real World I can deal with (as in the Real World of the 90's, back when they dealt with real, interesting issues, and weren't just attractive, boring people obsessed with sleeping together), heck I could take Road Rules too. But the rest of this mess has to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV