Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 09:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times

Advertisements

USA cancels "Falling Water"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 03:58 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,766,917 times
No big loss with Falling Water. I watched the trailers and it didn't look the least bit interesting. The only shows I watch on USA now are Suits and Queen of the South. Plus the occasional SVU rerun. Every time I see this thread on the first page I hold my breath hoping not to see Timeless on it. Seriously what is taking the NBC execs so long?

Old 05-19-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesG73 View Post
No big loss with Falling Water. I watched the trailers and it didn't look the least bit interesting. The only shows I watch on USA now are Suits and Queen of the South. Plus the occasional SVU rerun. Every time I see this thread on the first page I hold my breath hoping not to see Timeless on it. Seriously what is taking the NBC execs so long?
I would probably start preparing myself.

Probably a 75% chance it will be canceled. By all account it is doomed. About the only thing that might save it is the fact that Sony Television has no other shows airing currently and the only thing they have coming up that has been ordered to series is the Dick Wolf "FBI" show about to bow on CBS. Sony may be willing to wheel and deal again on the licensing fee. Even with that though, they took a major hit to their fee when it was canceled the first time. I dont know that I see them reducing it much more.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:24 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
What shows have been canceled for reasons other than low ratings?

Old 05-20-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What shows have been canceled for reasons other than low ratings?
The answer isnt as simple as that. It comes down to profitability. You can have 2 shows of equal ratings and one gets renewed and one get canceled. In some cases you can have lower ratings and get renewed while a show with better ratings gets canceled. It will always come down to production costs versus ad revenue.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I think that that is missing the point underlying Mouldy Old Schmo's question: Shows don't get canceled by the network unless they have low ratings. They may renew some shows with low ratings, but if a show has high ratings, the network rarely if ever issues a cancellation. So the control over the fate of a program invariably rests in its audience. If we give only tepid support for a show, then we're responsible for leaving it up to the vagaries as to whether the show returns next season.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think that that is missing the point underlying Mouldy Old Schmo's question: Shows don't get canceled by the network unless they have low ratings. They may renew some shows with low ratings, but if a show has high ratings, the network rarely if ever issues a cancellation. So the control over the fate of a program invariably rests in its audience. If we give only tepid support for a show, then we're responsible for leaving it up to the vagaries as to whether the show returns next season.
You're right though I assumed all of that went without saying. That said, unless you're a Nielsen family (as outdated as that may be) nothing you do matters to anyone.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:56 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
How do you explain Last Man Standing being cancelled by ABC? It was the Number 2 rated show on ABC, even being aired on Friday nights. BTW, Fox network is picking it up. I don't buy that it doesn't draw the demographic age group the networks typically gear their shows to attract. LMS draws on older viewer, sure, but these older viewers usually have more discretionary dollars on hand, even if they are more discriminating as to what they spend it on. ABC was just too lazy to figure out which advertisers to sell to.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:04 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How do you explain Last Man Standing being cancelled by ABC? It was the Number 2 rated show on ABC, even being aired on Friday nights.
It was #12. And if you follow the link below, there was not a single sitcom rated lower that was renewed. So there wasn't any conspiracy to cancel it.

I'll say it again: Every sitcom ABC renewed rated higher than LMS. They didn't cancel a winner, they cancelled a show that cost too much money, wasn't made in-house, and didn't fit their demo.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/a...eason-ratings/
Attached Thumbnails
Cancelled shows-abc.jpg  

Old 05-21-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How do you explain Last Man Standing being cancelled by ABC? It was the Number 2 rated show on ABC, even being aired on Friday nights. BTW, Fox network is picking it up. I don't buy that it doesn't draw the demographic age group the networks typically gear their shows to attract. LMS draws on older viewer, sure, but these older viewers usually have more discretionary dollars on hand, even if they are more discriminating as to what they spend it on. ABC was just too lazy to figure out which advertisers to sell to.
That goes back to what I said about revenue versus expenditures. It was getting good ratings relative to other shows but not good enough to generate the ad dollars to justify the production costs. In the past ABC was able to wheel and deal with Fox Television (one season Fox lowered production costs in exchange for ABC picking up "Cristela"). The show was getting to a point where Fox wouldnt come down anymore and the show wasnt generating enough ad dollars for ABC to continue paying for it.

So, at its core it was a ratings issue. Normally that is enough to keep a show going. Because this was an expensive show to produce the ratings needed to be higher.

Fox is able to pick it up because they own it. They can offset any losses it generates with the syndication dollars it makes (ABC didnt own it so they didnt get the syndication monies)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV