Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:36 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
People who yell like that in the audience just seem to me to have very low intelligence. I know there is a guy who 'warms them up' before the show, but they really look like idiots to me. What are they really cheering for? You'd think it was the second coming or something. It's only a show, for some just a way to get out of the rain.
:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
Why is Drew Carey there?

As a comic he's not funny (on TPIR), and as a game show host he's completely out of his element.

Drew Carey doesn't speak clearly, is awkward, and he lacks the appeal, charm, and polish of Bob Barker.

If they had to put a funny guy in there, they should have picked Steven Colbert.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,633,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
People who yell like that in the audience just seem to me to have very low intelligence. I know there is a guy who 'warms them up' before the show, but they really look like idiots to me. What are they really cheering for? You'd think it was the second coming or something. It's only a show, for some just a way to get out of the rain.
Very likely free gifts. I blame Oprah for starting that.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,633,536 times
I never liked Bob Barker to begin with. Another poster said he was condescending to the contestants. I agree. He would say in a fake, whiny, condescending tone "Oooooh I'm sooooo sorry" (if they lost.) (gag)

Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,090 times
I have never understood the appeal of this show. Why would you want to be on it to begin with. Most of the crap on there isn't anything I need or want. Winning is all luck, unless you just happen to know the exact cost of something like a trip to France.

And then if you do luck up and win something, you have to shell out thousands of dollars on taxes out of your own pocket. I'd rather go on a show that gives out cash, taxes would not be a problem there.

I've heard a lot of prizes on TPIR are never claimed.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I have never understood the appeal of this show. Why would you want to be on it to begin with. Most of the crap on there isn't anything I need or want. Winning is all luck, unless you just happen to know the exact cost of something like a trip to France.

And then if you do luck up and win something, you have to shell out thousands of dollars on taxes out of your own pocket. I'd rather go on a show that gives out cash, taxes would not be a problem there.

I've heard a lot of prizes on TPIR are never claimed.
The thing is, every contestant called up to the stage has a chance to win big money on the wheel.

It's that and the fact that you're on national TV.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,336 times
A lot of tv now isn't the same.

-I think producers and tv networks have a hard time admiting what makes a show successful. And then sticking to it. Bob Barker was the Price is Right. The same with Larry King (Piers Morgan now?). Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack, etc.

Game shows as a group felt much more traditional in the 80's or early 90's. I.e. Price is Right, Press Your Luck, $25,000 Pyramid with Dick Clark. The music, set design, lighting. The contestants were "normal" people. Not mugging for the camera or pseudo celebrities. The contestants were like you the viewer sitting at home. They weren't too fancy.

Game shows now seem to try too hard to be "cool". Hip. Gotta get the right demo.

-I think part of a game shows appeal is to kids. I remember being fascinated with Plinko on the price is right. It's a game you don't have at home. It looks cool, you can win a lot of money.

I looked online and Rod Roddy has been gone almost 10 years, hard to believe.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
The show would NOT want me as a contestant because I would not be jumping up and down and screaming (nor jumping on Drew) if I made it to the stage. Why? Because I had not won the big prize yet, so why get all excited?

If Drew were to ask me why I don't seem excited, I'd reply, "I haven't won anything yet."

Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,505 times
I agree that Bob Barker was The Price Is Right. With a lot of successful things, you don't want to be the guy replacing THE guy. You want to be the guy replacing the guy replacing THE guy.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
swbrotha and John 23 make good points. Family Feud was never able to recapture the magic after Richard Dawson left the first time. Password was never the same after Allen Ludden. Whether you like them or not, Wheel of Fortune will not work after Pat and Vanna leave. Alex Trebeck did manage to make Jeopardy a hit after Art Flemming, but only after there was a considerable gap of time before Jeopardy returned to TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV