Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,129,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
3. It showed scenery of Boulder. Everyone I knew was into making road trips out to Colorado. So we were guilty of watching just to check out Boulder. LOL we even went to see The Shining--not because it was a scary movie but to see the Colorado scenery.
I admit to this! I enjoyed the show, especially Robin Williams. I was in college, wasn't stoned and didn't drink (much). I was ready to move somewhere but not sure where. Colorado/Boulder was not even on my radar at the time. After taking a road trip to CO I saved my money and moved to Boulder a few years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Mork and Mindy did well its first season, then it declined from the second season till the end because the show's creators tampered with it.

Mork & Mindy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God bless,

CKB

I rather talk to people who was around at the time than go by what wikipedia is saying.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Mork first appeared on "Happy Days" so that helped the spin-off "Mork and Mindy" quite I bit I think.
I think it also helped that Fonzie appeared in the Pilot of Mork and Mindy

Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,852,976 times
I think a lot of people actually didn't associate the two shows at the time. I knew after the fact that Mork appeared on Happy Days--this is actually the first I've ever heard about the Fonz being on Mork and Mindy, and I was around back then.

Kids watched Mork, but it wasn't really marketed as a show for kids. Back then you did not have much for kids in prime-time other than the occasional special like Peanuts, etc. Kids generally just watched the same shows as adults.

Robin Williams was the main appeal of the show, I think a lot of it was that he acted more or less the same when he was on a talk show, for instance, as he did when he was playing Mork. I agree with others that at the time, no one really had seen anything like it, although I don't think the show has aged that well.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I think a lot of people actually didn't associate the two shows at the time. I knew after the fact that Mork appeared on Happy Days--this is actually the first I've ever heard about the Fonz being on Mork and Mindy, and I was around back then.

Kids watched Mork, but it wasn't really marketed as a show for kids. Back then you did not have much for kids in prime-time other than the occasional special like Peanuts, etc. Kids generally just watched the same shows as adults.

Robin Williams was the main appeal of the show, I think a lot of it was that he acted more or less the same when he was on a talk show, for instance, as he did when he was playing Mork. I agree with others that at the time, no one really had seen anything like it, although I don't think the show has aged that well.
Yeah Fonie made a guest appearance on the first episode of Mork and Mindy along with Laverne. This episode was aired on a Monday Night. Fonzie setup Laverne on a blind date with Mork

Old 06-18-2012, 04:01 PM

468 posts, read 787,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I rather talk to people who was around at the time than go by what wikipedia is saying.
I was around at the time (I'm 43) and loved to watch the show. But I was too young to understand what was going on behind the scenes!

Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,333,756 times
Quote:
1. It was different. And lots of people were stoned back then, so just being different was enough to get some laughs. And all the shows were dumb, so it's insipidness didn't stand out as much as it does these days.

2. Some people also liked this show ironically. As in, it was so bad it was funny just for being awful. And there was some sort of M&M drinking game I recall that was big in my college.

3. It showed scenery of Boulder. Everyone I knew was into making road trips out to Colorado. So we were guilty of watching just to check out Boulder. LOL we even went to see The Shining--not because it was a scary movie but to see the Colorado scenery.

4. Pam Dawber was hot.
Great looking lady, and outstanding bum and small waistline, when they weren't hiding her under frumpy clothing!

Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,229,826 times
Quote:
LOL, could be you're right.... I confess I've never seen any of those shows you mentioned so I can't really compare. Guess I should consider myself lucky?
Neither have I and I think we are both lucky!

Loved Mork.

Pam Bawber...one lucky lady!!!

Nanoo, nanoo.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,738,307 times
Pam Dawber was hot, but still the girl next door so she appealed to many people. She was the straight man and I have to commend her for her willingness not to be a diva and know that in every single episode, she was only going to be allowed to be background for Robin Williams's antics. It was tied to Happy Days which was a huge hit at the time.

Everyone knew that the plots were ridiculous. You watched it to see Robin Williams. You waited for the moment when he took off and went into Improv. Universe. His voices, his characatures were unique and original at the time and the football linebacker one was extremely popular. He owned that show until the writers started making it so syrupy and stupid that even Williams's schtick couldn't save it. My father used to watch it too and he was pretty old at the time.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Pam Dawber was hot, but still the girl next door so she appealed to many people. She was the straight man and I have to commend her for her willingness not to be a diva and know that in every single episode, she was only going to be allowed to be background for Robin Williams's antics. It was tied to Happy Days which was a huge hit at the time.

Everyone knew that the plots were ridiculous. You watched it to see Robin Williams. You waited for the moment when he took off and went into Improv. Universe. His voices, his characatures were unique and original at the time and the football linebacker one was extremely popular. He owned that show until the writers started making it so syrupy and stupid that even Williams's schtick couldn't save it. My father used to watch it too and he was pretty old at the time.
The cast and crew used to have the hardest time trying to tape the show. They couldn't stop being in hysterics from Robin's improvs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV