Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 AM

749 posts, read 2,774,220 times

Advertisements

Alone in the Wilderness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,252,934 times
Paradise Lost kept me in tears

Plagues and Pleasures on the Salton Sea ... John Waters documentary and it's definitely got John Waters' take on it.

And anything by Ken Burns

Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,283,482 times
Third Reich:Rise and Fall. This is both universal to any time on what can happen, and highly personal as its all people's own pictures and words. It carries a warning to look beyond the words to the intent behind them.

Worse than War This covers recent events and historical events, but on a human level. Deep down, the sorrow of a survivor is the same no matter where it comes from. This documentary on genocide shows that thought we recognize it as bad it hasn't stopped its popularity as a way of holding power. The segment about Guatmala was esspcially wrenching since the world didn't much notice and has mostly forgotten.

Both of these are streaming on netflix. I agree about their documentary selection. When newer services advertise they have good selections, they are still very lacking in documentaries. I have disc and streaming since so many of the documentaries are not streamed.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM

461 posts, read 912,184 times
Everyone has given so many documentaries that I plan on watching. Right now I'm watching "Witness Jonestown" and I cant believe that there were so many people who were killed/dead as a result of it.

Almost a 1000 people. Just... wow.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,966,413 times
vitalaeon, I'm guessing you're a young woman. I remember when the story broke about Jonestown. Yes, it was an unbelievable event. Left me wondering how so many people can be taken in so thoroughly.

When you hear the phrase "don't drink the Kool Aid", it refers to this sad event. In other words, don't follow blindly along, but think for yourself.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 AM

461 posts, read 912,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
vitalaeon, I'm guessing you're a young woman. I remember when the story broke about Jonestown. Yes, it was an unbelievable event. Left me wondering how so many people can be taken in so thoroughly.

When you hear the phrase "don't drink the Kool Aid", it refers to this sad event. In other words, don't follow blindly along, but think for yourself.
Yeah, I was born in 83 and while I've heard about Jonestown before, I never really -knew- the extent that Jim Jones had a hold on those people.

I remember for a school project on the cult Heavens Gate. That was another group of mass (albeit on a -much- smaller scale) suicide folk. I'm like you. I don't understand how people can be so taken in by one person.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 AM

4,066 posts, read 5,653,171 times
Well, the last one was one on two different days on PBS...Queen Victoria's Empire, I believe. Sometimes I watch various ones online on the PBS site, but that I watched on TV. I also watched the one on Western Civilization recently...not sure about the whole title, also PBS.
On the followers drinking the Koolaid thing, I also remember when that happened. I've never been much of a follower of people. I've always been somewhat unable to trust anyone that much. My ex tried to get me and my daughter to go to those EST seminars or whatever they were called...the ones where nobody who signs up can even go to the restroom during the BS they spout out. I refused. And thank goodness I divorced him! They used brainwashing tecniques, I'm sure of it! I'm an independent thinker and don't fall for questionable sales pitches or anything that smells remotely cult-like. I tend to distance myself from those I believe are associated with extremist religions or churches also.

Last edited by Lee W.; 06-27-2012 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,709,051 times
Cheneys Law on PBS, or how to trample on the US constitution.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,730,679 times
PBS did a documentary some years back (in parts) called "THE STORY OF ENGLISH" about how the English Dialect grew to be the most prevalent language on earth. It evolved from a tiny European town and just kept on growing. The main reason for its success was because of its ability to absorb and morph other languages from around the world - unlike all of its predecessors.
If anyone knows where or how I could find it to see again I would appreciate your input. It was extremely interesting, IMO.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM

11,654 posts, read 12,731,603 times
Most anything made by the Burns brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV