Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

I used to watch Letterman semi-regularly, many years ago. Being from Indianapolis, I had a special fondness for him and thought he was very funny. I hadn't seen his show in 10-15 years, but decided I wanted to see his finale.

I watched about half of it, and wasn't finding it that funny or enjoyable, so I went to bed. Even the Top 10 didn't really knock my socks off. It was fun to see which celebrity would come out for each of the 10, but I only laughed out loud at Julia Louis-Dreyfus's line. Bill Murray in the #1 spot? Maybe it was some inside joke that I didn't get at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
I thought it was superb --- although part of me wanted to see Dave get choked-up and teary-eyed at the end just like Johnny did in May 1992 but he kept up the jokes til the fadeout song by Foo Fighters.

VERY classy to show photos of all his staff and writers in the closing credits. He diverted all the love and praise to them tonight.

Gonna miss you, Dave! 33 years of memories --- been watching him since 1982 when I was only 12 yrs. old (yes, I did stay up that late after I finished my homework LOL).

Sorry, but I don't see anyone taking Dave's place --- not Colbert, Conan, Kimmel, or Fallon. They all pale by comparison. Johnny and Dave are the only ones who ruled the Pantheon of Late Night TV.

I'm sorry that Dave didn't hang in for a couple of more years. More than that, I was disgusted with CBS deciding to take the route that they did to replace him. I totally enjoyed Craig Ferguson. The Late Late Show is nothing but annoying now. Really smart move on the part of all of the networks. Nothing like alienating over half of their potential audience.

I'll miss Dave. He was cranky & a bit of a smart ass when he was young. He didn't change much. He wasn't quite as prickly after the bypass surgery.

Biff & Barbara Gaines worked for him forever. Recognizing the staff & crew the last couple of weeks was great.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:26 AM

I think that people forget that Letterman replaced Tom Snyder's Tomorrow show on NBC. Dave took a bit of Johnny & a bit of Tom & did his own thing. It was great when Letterman went to CBS & put Tom Snyder on after him. Life had gone full circle.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
I used to love Tom Snyder! I used to watch both shows.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 AM

277 posts, read 519,101 times
Used to watch this once in a while a long time ago but then started a graveyard job for the next 20 or so years ... finally watched it last night and realized why I really didn't miss watching ... not funny or enjoyable ... a total waste.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I agree. Letterman was a bitter old man. I have not watched that show since the late 1980's. If you have a job, you have no business being up that late anyway.
Oh that's rich. Dave's bitter and old, but you're the one telling people what hours they need to keep. As if everyone with a job works the same hours.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I used to love Tom Snyder! I used to watch both shows.
Tom was from Wisconsin, Johnny was from Nebraska, & Dave's from Indiana. There was a pattern there.

Tom could be very snarky but his background was as an anchor, not a comedian.

I think that CBS blew it by bypassing Craig Ferguson.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi Grand-Pooba[b],
Maybe someday I will find out what SMH means
it means Shaking My Head.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 AM
JPD

"You think there are only 120 kinds of animals?" That was my favorite joke from the show.

Dave could be a grouch, as some have stated, but it's obvious he cared for the people he worked with and his guests, and that he was quick to find the humor in just about everything.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:53 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post

Personally, I'm really looking forward to Colbert. Can't wait! He's wicked smart, funny, talented, and did I mention smart?
He might be OK; still think there were so many other choices. Craig Ferguson, would have been my first choice followed by so many others. Guess no one asked; Colbert is smart and funny, (probably a fav of the pres of CBS?)

What about the gals? There are a lot of funny, smart ladies. Seems like you would have to be good at bringing out the best in your guests, like Jimmy Fallon and Kimmel..... Jamie Foxx would have been great!!

Last edited by mollygee; 05-21-2015 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: lots of reasons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV