Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

Survivor: North Dakota (contestants spend winter in western part of the state - very desolate!)
I Know Who I Am! (answer to Who Do You Think You Are?)
The Real Good Samaritans
Mob Wives Wichita

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
None but I don't watch television...

Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Survivor, on your own. Pick them, have them on a small boat which washes up on the island. Cameras are stationed, but no people, no host. No contests. No teams. Just real survival. But pick them carefully. One knows what foods are edible. One is a lifelong hiker who knows how to build a shelter. One's a paramedic, who brought along a medical kit. Some are clueless, but their job will be hauling the water and doing the work and learning. One will slip into position of leader because of experience, with lieutenants to back him/her up. It won't be a democracy. Set to last at least three months, maybe six. The medic is supplied with drops of more supplies not on the island, and if someone is injured where he/she can't treat them, they can be pulled. But will be offically, on the island, said to be dead, with a funeral. The island had the food and resources they need (including medicinal herbs) and nothing else is supplied.

Now that would be interesting. You win the satisfaction of being a real survivor and what you learn about yourself. Maybe everyone gets a donation to charity and there ten minues in the spotlight.

After the first month,

Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Survivor: North Dakota (contestants spend winter in western part of the state - very desolate!)
I Know Who I Am! (answer to Who Do You Think You Are?)
The Real Good Samaritans
Mob Wives Wichita

Any others?
Naw, bring back Who Do You Think You Are, which was a very good show, without the agenda of the pbs version.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
I'd like to see a reality show where they follow the crew around that is making another reality show.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:06 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Naw, bring back Who Do You Think You Are, which was a very good show, without the agenda of the pbs version.

I can't believe the people who were profiled on Who Do You Think You Are? didn't know their family histories! You could look up biographical information on most of them on Wikipedia!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I can't believe the people who were profiled on Who Do You Think You Are? didn't know their family histories! You could look up biographical information on most of them on Wikipedia!
Actually a lot of people don't know about their family histories, and until the online resources appeared it was very difficult. Or there are 'family stories' which may be true, may have a grain of it or may be just a good story. It's only recently that looking back has become more the norm than the exception. I'd like a show like this where it wasn't stars but ordinary people. You could group several (after filming) with similar background to talk about how the world used to be.

I discovered how my 5xggrandfather arrived, and started looking up infomation and have found a whole fascinating time in our history barely ever mentioned and yet integral to who we are. That's what geneology will do for you.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 PM

198 posts, read 167,624 times
The only thing I can say about "Reality Shows" I'd like to see is, I'd like to see all of the so called "reality shows" go off the air and open the air time for something with real substance and actual entertainment value. Enough of the sensationalized crappy episodes portrayed as delving into the twisted lives of (insert theme here). Sadly as a 44yo I find Disney and cartoon network more entertaining than reality tv.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
The only good reality shows are the shows where you can actually learn something. HGTV shows, like that home inspection guy Holmes, or Billy the Exterminator, where you learn some things about pest control. The idiotic shows that I can't stand are the Honey Boo Boo, Dance Moms, Toddlers and Tiaras type shows, since not only are the shows pointless, they exploit children. I also don't see the point of the Real Housewives and Jersey Shore type of shows, but at least they are not exploiting children or the mentally unstable (Hoarders comes to mind....TLC really seems to be the king of exploitation in the name of $$$).

COPS is one of my all time favorite shows, and even though its a reality show, its not an idiotic reality show in the vein of current TLC programming.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
My faves (and I'm pretty die hard for these only) are Survivor, Big Brother and The Amazing Race. I do get tired of the opinions that lump all reality TV shows together...I mean, Honey Boo Boo doesn't really compare to the Amazing Race.

OP: Survivor North Dakota? SIGN ME UP! I've been wanting a "cold" Survivor for quite some time. I agree with the other poster, too, that wants "real" people, not the wannabes. It would be a lovely change to have real people who have no agenda to "make it big" or what have you...it's tiring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV