Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,320,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
My wife and I stopped watching. After watching Walking Dead we just couldn't get back into caring about what was going on.

Truth be told, I did like the first season, but it was too produced, Charlie was too annoying and it seems to border on a "comic book" reality. Which is ironic given that walking dead is based off of one, yet seems more "human."

I didn't care in the slightest when the boy died and although I like things to progress (which Revolution does have going for it) the characters are too shallow for me to care if they live or die.

Maybe if I'm bored and the season comes out on DVD I'll take a look again. But right now I've been watching too many great shows and have to cut something out.
I'd say it was sort of survival lite at times, but given this is practically a generation later, I liked the way the sister sees her world was contrasted with the older generation. And the boy was sheltered and yet it was his world too. The kidnapping changed him in ways which didn't necessarily show. That scene where he beat the soldier to death showed where he was going more than anything else. I thought he was a very well drawn character in that it was quite realistic.

The way he died was also very fitting. There was rage enough to kill someone inside, and it had not gone away. The look in his eyes as he steps forward is the reality. He lived to revenge himself. He wasn't the innocent boy anymore. And he had a chance to make it a meaningful sacrifice. I thought it was very very fitting.

If he hadn't died, he would never be the old self again. I think he would have kept trying to vent his need until it was the fatal one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,050,042 times
Enjoyed the show last night! I'm glad the characters have split up because I want to see how the rest of the "United States" is dealing with the blackout. The Georgia Federation puts the Monroe Republic to shame in it's development. Where are Aaron and Rachel? I thought she said they were heading to Colorado...so I guess that's part of the Plains Nation.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 AM

36,489 posts, read 16,086,844 times
I loved Aaron's reaction to the 2 soldiers burning from the inside out. He's funny.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,929,327 times
I like the idea that they can walk from Philadelphia to Atlanta in what seems like a few hours instead of 6 months and look as fresh as the day they left. Charlie's hair and makeup is perfect. Anyway, looks like Miles broke her heart after telling her to bug off. Maybe she should stay in Hotlanta, find a fella, settle down. Although that would make for a boring show.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I loved Aaron's reaction to the 2 soldiers burning from the inside out. He's funny.
How is he still fat?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,709,284 times
thyroid

Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM

36,489 posts, read 16,086,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How is he still fat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
thyroid
Hahahaha!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,281,123 times
I liked the show but it wasn't one of my favorites. We have a bunch of episodes recorded and need to catch up.

A few things I don't like: The intro puts me off for some reason. It seems rushed and almost cheaply done. It doesn't build any type of anticipation. The acting also seems a bit wooden to me. Sometimes I feel like they are just reading a script and not putting much into the acting. I love Giancarlo Esposito in Breaking Bad for example but in Revolution....meh. Dialogue just seems forced and not too interesting. I do think the show has great potential and the premise is quite interesting. We will keep following it but I think it could be so much better.

As comparison, Walking Dead seems to have so much more atmosphere and sense of dread. I know that there are zombies involved, lol but the general atmosphere, acting is much more suspenseful. Revolution seems a bit blah in that regards. I really do need to watch it again and see if my opinion changes.

I really enjoyed the Change Series by S.M. Stirling and frankly, this is the only thing keeping me going on this show. I saw earlier in the thread that the show was based loosely on the books. Is this true? I don't see any similarity aside from there being no power.

Last edited by Siggy20; 04-26-2013 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,320,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I liked the show but it wasn't one of my favorites. We have a bunch of episodes recorded and need to catch up.

A few things I don't like: The intro puts me off for some reason. It seems rushed and almost cheaply done. It doesn't build any type of anticipation. The acting also seems a bit wooden to me. Sometimes I feel like they are just reading a script and not putting much into the acting. I love Giancarlo Esposito in Breaking Bad for example but in Revolution....meh. Dialogue just seems forced and not too interesting. I do think the show has great potential and the premise is quite interesting. We will keep following it but I think it could be so much better.

As comparison, Walking Dead seems to have so much more atmosphere and sense of dread. I know that there are zombies involved, lol but the general atmosphere, acting is much more suspenseful. Revolution seems a bit blah in that regards. I really do need to watch it again and see if my opinion changes.

I really enjoyed the Change Series by S.M. Stirling and frankly, this is the only thing keeping me going on this show. I saw earlier in the thread that the show was based loosely on the books. Is this true? I don't see any similarity aside from there being no power.
I agree what they need is a sense of danger. Even if nobody attacks your village the crops could fail and you could lose people from malnutrition based diseases. And the open road would be as risky as it was in 1300. In a generation I'd expect a large degree of suspicision of someone 'foreign' to your village as well. The do do the dicotomy well between generations, especially the smaller children, who are practically medieveal. The child soldiers would happen early and they do show them. And that gap between those who were adults who look at their world as an aberation and those like Charlie who vaguely remember the old and those who have no memories IS well done.

I've read the first book of the series and enjoyed it a lot and do wish Revolution was less 'loosely' based.

Something I wonder about is if they do get to the tower and turn on the power.... Most of the population will be 'grown' children like Charlie who barely remember or children who don't at all. If the adults dreaming of getting back their world are thinking they'll happily embrase the toys, I think given the way they look at life, ie survival of the quickest and the first, they'll embrase the destructive but the rest will just seem foreign.

There is so MUCH they could do of this and I wish they had the guts to really do the whole theme and deter a few viewers who are watching because Charlie reminds them of Hunger Games.

I'll bet some good fanfiction will come of it though.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,106,544 times
The way the main characters are motoring around the continent, the title needs to be changed from Revolution to The Walking Fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV