Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 02:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,586,410 times

Advertisements

ABC and the Bachelor/ette franchise has said that the final rose/proposal isn't really a marriage proposal, but a proposal to see if the relationship pans out into something more serious. I don't think any of the leads go into this truly expecting to find love or a spouse, but rather to find someone who is really interesting and who they'd like to continue seeing. All the talk of "I can see so-and-so being my husband/wife" is just producer fed hype. The leads don't mean it, and the audience doesn't believe it. Also, according to Reality Steve, the leads often let their chosen one know they're going to be their final choice pretty early on, as the leads know pretty quickly who they like and who they can't stand. The producers are always talking to the lead and from what the lead says about the guys/girls, that's how the one-on-ones, 2 on 1 or group dates are decided. Bachelor/ette is probably one of the most producer driven, scripted reality shows out there.

I am positive Brooks will return. They showed him driving off in the limo which we all associate with leaving the show, but we never saw him get on a plane or leave the island. I think, if he really left, they'd show his plane taking off into the sunset with Des crying uncontrollably. I'm not sure this was staged at first, but I'll bet when Brooks went to the producers saying he couldn't propose since he wasn't sure, and he didn't want to be phony just for the show, they all jumped on this as being huge drama, and exploited it all they could. This was ratings gold mine in their eyes....since this season has been their worst as far as ratings in the history of the franchise. Also, Des's blog today was very ambiguous--she hinted that there will be a big surprise in a happy tone. Chris Harrison was on GMA and no one mentioned Brooks. Why? Because GMA is ABC and they all know the outcome...if Brooks were really gone, someone would have at least asked about it, but they didn't. Not one word about Brooks. This is a romance novel ending--Boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, something comes between them, one leaves, both realize how much they love each other, the one returns, they pledge to never part again, they ride happily off into the sunset....The final rose (proposal) episode was filmed May 16, so technically, they've been together since then....but ABC did try to plant doubt by posting a picture of Brooks with a group of young, attractive women at a bar in Florida last month...but it was a friend's pre-wedding party or something.

I feel badly for Chris and Drew because they're on the island, too, but have no clue what went on between Brooks and Des. They keep the guys separated and isolated from each other at the finals. This is going to be hard for the one who gets eliminated and the one who is in the final two that has his proposal rejected.

Chris Harrison is still asking during each episode: "Do you think you have what it takes to date the next Bachelor or Bachelorette?......." They already know they're going to go with a cast-off, they just want contestant submissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 02:18 AM

[quote=elizabeth_cali;30717083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
They won't announce the next Bachelor until DWTS is almost over for the season in November. DWTS runs Sept-Dec; Bachelor runs from Jan-May and Bachelorette from May-Aug. Bachelor Pad (if there is one) runs July-Aug.
This 2012-2013 Monday night lineup for ABC was:

DWTS 9/24 - 11/27
Bachelor 1/7 - 3/16
DWTS 3/18 - 5/21
Bachelorette 5/27 - 8/5

Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,577,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yeah, I know. I could pretend to like them for money/contract, but kissing them? Nope. I guess I'd get kicked off because if I am in love with someone, there is no way I want someone else's tongue in my mouth!
What about the 'fantasy suite'?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 AM

500 posts, read 376,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Not really, I enjoy these shows as mindless entertainment, I don't get invested in the outcomes. I'm sorry, but no I don't cry watching any clips of this show. I'm not going to take a show with two marriages out of like a hundred seasons seriously. This is not a proper process fro finding a spouse, the couple times it's happened seem more like a coincidence.

That said I did feel very bad for Des, I don't believe she was really in love with Brooks, but I think she had a huge major crush on him, and hoped it would lead to a real future, and was feeling heartbroken in that moment, we've all been there, that's painful, to have it filmed would be torture. Whatever happens she'll be fine, and if she is truly ready for marriage she will be engaged within a year. I feel like he will probably "realize what a horrible mistake he made" and end up coming back though, in which case the chances of them lasting went from .0000000000000000000000000000000001 to absolute zero. It's pretty obvious he was never really into her. She seems like a sweet girl, I only wish her the best.

She could probably get an acting career out of this, I can't believe how well she screen kisses all these guys.
Ditto, with heavy emphasis on the MINDLESS. I honestly can't imagine watching and thinking it's real. It's a sad commentary on the overall IQ of America that there are so many "reality" shows and that people think they know the players and get personally invested in them.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,174,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
They sign some kind of contract that probably states they have to string along the others (in some form) until the end. Remember last night when Des told Brooks she loved him? He said, why didn't you tell me sooner? And she said she couldn't, but that he could say whatever he was feeling whenever he wanted to. Just more proof that this is a "controlled reality" reality show.
Yes, I've always believed that was true. You NEVER hear the Bachelor/Bachelorette tell someone that they love them. Ever. But you always hear it from the contestant's. I'm positive they're told that they can't reveal their true feelings on air until the very end. Which is why I believe this show is over for Des. She did it, she said out loud that she loved him. Course, she said it a couple times to Chris Harrison but that's not the same thing, she also mentioned feelings for the others guys as well. But she actually told the guy to his face that she loved him. That's pretty huge. I'm assuming that's the clue that this season is over. You can't take that back, it's already out there.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,293,552 times
What bugs me at the moment most of all is this lets play fast and loose with emotions and pretend that marriage and relationships are easy and simple approach. This isn't helped by my son, who is just starting college after a sabatical, having got engaged to a girl just out of highschool. They are both buying the line because they don't know better and I see a future train wreck so maybe I'm a little critical right now.

But Des thinks this one guy is her only one and he has enough maturity to realize he has to look at the whole picture. I really really hope he doesn't change his mind since it would be a really bad lesson to the impressionable out there.

And that fantasy suite... you really think they just *hug* after the lights are out? I find something rather negative in it if they take more than one to their bed..... If you want recretaional sex go for it but at least be honest and call it what it is.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 AM

Lately, some of the contestants have used the Fantasy Suite to be able to talk to the person without the cameras there. That's usually (according to Molly Mesnick and Ali Fedetowski) when the lead can tell the contestant their true feelings. Sean Lowe and Emily Maynard supposedly didn't use the Fantasy Suite for sex, but used the time for one-on-one with their bachelor/ettes to talk to them and get to know them without cameras rolling. I think with those two, that's probably true, but the others? More than likely not....

If I were Brooks, and I am engaged to Des, watching this season with her (or without her), I'd be pretty shocked to see how "friendly" she was with every one of her guys on national TV. She did not shy away from really going all out and kissing them passionately. I can't see how that's going to go over well with him unless he's REALLY understanding!!! I don't think I've seen any other Bachelorette that "enthusiastic" on their dates before. That would really make me think twice if I were the guy engaged to Des.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 AM

748 posts, read 1,377,749 times
Quote:
Lately, some of the contestants have used the Fantasy Suite to be able to talk to the person without the cameras there. That's usually (according to Molly Mesnick and Ali Fedetowski) when the lead can tell the contestant their true feelings. Sean Lowe and Emily Maynard supposedly didn't use the Fantasy Suite for sex, but used the time for one-on-one with their bachelor/ettes to talk to them and get to know them without cameras rolling. I think with those two, that's probably true, but the others? More than likely not....

If I were Brooks, and I am engaged to Des, watching this season with her (or without her), I'd be pretty shocked to see how "friendly" she was with every one of her guys on national TV. She did not shy away from really going all out and kissing them passionately. I can't see how that's going to go over well with him unless he's REALLY understanding!!! I don't think I've seen any other Bachelorette that "enthusiastic" on their dates before. That would really make me think twice if I were the guy engaged to Des.
Really? I think every single show I have watched, the bachelor/bachelorette has been pretty darn "friendly" with all of their "dates". A person would be stupid to go on a show like this without expecting that this kind of behavior will go on. If her new "fiancee/beau" is shocked at this behavior......well what did they expect???

Old 08-01-2013, 06:38 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,627,085 times
All I know is that I can't get over having watched Chris's dad pushing that thing through his nose. I am permanently scarred and grossed out.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,207,798 times
Quote:

That's the only way I would ever use the fantasy suite. I would never have sex in there with some guy whose also having a fantasy suite with a couple other women. People have said that some do have sex in there, I just can't imagine doing that, and I'm far from a prude. I guess if you really believe you are the one and have convinced yourself you will be chosen, but that makes the contestants look like jerks who screw people over. I know Sean says he is a virgin, but I always wondered if he and Ashlee did something that made her believe she was the one, and that's why she was so angry with him.

Her kisses seem so real, I don't think anything negative about her for it, I just think she is being a good little reality show contestant. I'm sure she contractually obligated to kiss many of the guys, and make them think she is into them. I think she is just having fun, and throwing herself into it for the viewers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV