Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,772,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Deadwood was terrific! I will never forgive HBO for canceling it.
Was a shame that it never had a proper ending, but it's still one of the best shows ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 06:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,743,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sons of Anarchy (Game of Thrones on motorcycles)

The Sopranos (second only to Breaking Bad as the best TV series ever)

Monarch of the Glen (a more light hearted modern show in the vein of Downton Abbey)

Justified (second only to Breaking Bad as the best show currently on TV)

Bates Motel (not sure this is available yet, but worth a watch)
So what you're saying is you love Breaking Bad?

That's just one of those shows I never got the attraction to.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 PM

22,945 posts, read 28,342,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
So what you're saying is you love Breaking Bad?

That's just one of those shows I never got the attraction to.
To each his own. I thought both Deadwood and Mad Men were intensely boring, but other folks love 'em.

Another good one: Sports Night. I'm not a huge sports fan, and I never watch sports programming on TV. But Sports Night is great. It's no Breaking Bad, but it's really good.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,384,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Another good one: Sports Night. I'm not a huge sports fan, and I never watch sports programming on TV. But Sports Night is great. It's no Breaking Bad, but it's really good.
This^.
I have less than zero interest in sports, yet I enjoyed this show,
have watched whole series twice so far-smart & funny, great combo.
It's from Aaaron Sorkin, the guy behind West Wing & The Newsroom
...speaking of which, The Newsroom was good, too-if a bit affectedly earnest.
It's not an action series, so it may not appeal to the OP but I just thought I'd mention it.

Though I don't have NetFlix or HBO,
I'm enjoying reading this thread-to get recommendations for quality programs
to look out for elsewhere online.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM

407 posts, read 1,560,009 times
If you like Sorkin (West Wing & Sports Night), I think he also did "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" (on Amazon Prime - sorry), which is a behind-the-scenes of a Saturday Night Live-like show... pretty enjoyable.

On Netflix:

"Firefly" (by Joss Whedon, of Buffy fame), is also entertaining... think of a Western set in space. I don't know why, but it worked! (Fillion, currently in the series Castle) plays the main character... There's also a feature movie (Serenity) which was made after the series was cancelled - that is also on Netflix)

"The Glades" is another quirky police detective series ... fluffy but fun. How can you NOT like a detective that shoots his previous boss in the a**-, gets a lump-sum settlement, runs off to a sleepy town in Florida, which then sees (seemingly) more crime than Chicago (where he came from) ????

"Life" (Damon Lewis) was also really good - LA detective wrongly imprisoned who goes back on the job and searches for those that set him up and killed his friend. (you learn a lot about fruit in this series!!!)

Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,384,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
If you like Sorkin (West Wing & Sports Night), I think he also did "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" (on Amazon Prime - sorry), which is a behind-the-scenes of a Saturday Night Live-like show... pretty enjoyable.
I forgot to mention Studio 60..."-
I did watch that online, too-and it was really good, sorry there was only the one season.
Took me awhile to get into the show, but I stuck with it, and eventually it "took"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
On Netflix:

"Firefly" (by Joss Whedon, of Buffy fame), is also entertaining... think of a Western set in space. I don't know why, but it worked! (Fillion, currently in the series Castle) plays the main character... There's also a feature movie (Serenity) which was made after the series was cancelled - that is also on Netflix)
Watched Firefly & Serenity, those do have action that might be just up the OP's alley, perhaps ?

Not familiar with the other two series you noted, but perhaps I'll look them up.
Appreciate the suggestions

I liked "Weeds"-but again, probably not enough action, too much talking (though it suited me fine).

Old 06-10-2013, 01:34 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,495,463 times
I liked "The Riches" basically about a family of gypsy/con artists. It kept my interest but they must of cancelled it half way through one of the seasons as it leaves you hanging.

I have always liked Locked up Abroad and "Who in the (bleep) did I marry" and Prison Break.

Can't wait for the next season of Breaking Bad and Revenge to get on Netflix.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,743,763 times
Personally, I would add the following just to name a few:

Burn Notice (5 of 7 seasons)
Flashpoint (4 of 5 seasons)
White Collar (3 of 4 seasons)

Burn Notice is starting its final season so Season 6 should be up soon.
Flashpoint just ended this past December so I expect season 5 to be up soon.
White Collar is getting ready to start season 5 so season 4 should be up soon

Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,399,532 times
I also couldn't get into Mad Men. I consider The Wire to be the best television show ever made. It should be available on HBO Go. I'd second the recommendations for Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. I also enjoyed Battlestar Galactica. If you have Amazon Prime, check out The Shield and Justified. I don't think those two are on Netflix.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM

3,989 posts, read 5,023,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I also couldn't get into Mad Men. I consider The Wire to be the best television show ever made. It should be available on HBO Go. I'd second the recommendations for Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. I also enjoyed Battlestar Galactica. If you have Amazon Prime, check out The Shield and Justified. I don't think those two are on Netflix.
OK, so the top ones have been listed: Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad etc.

But on HBO GO, I just finished Big Love and I loved it. I'm still reeling from the series finale. It was a good drama with an "inside" look at another way of living. Very interesting and I love the actors so for me, it was a good combo.

Also on HBO, try True Blood. On NetFlix, you could watch 100 jaw dropping episodes of Nip/Tuck. I remember how popular this was while airing, but I never got into it. However, it was a heck of a train wreck when my husband and I started watching over Christmas holiday...o.m.g. the drama!!

Oh, and I second Battlestar...great show...also try Caprica. It was only one season but it was really good. And there's also a SyFy movie "Blood and Chrome" which shows Adama's rise in the fleet.

We love HBO GO and Netflix though...how else could we watch House of Cards or other greats? It's nice to watch an entire season without waiting or commercials if we choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV